Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

808 PureView gets Purple Tint Display Screen

Counsellor
xyes

808 PureView gets Purple Tint Display Screen

dang, just bought it today, no more stock to exchange throughout Malaysia, now I've to go to NCC to get it fixed the purple screen... WTH! it's a repeated problem, it already haunted many N8 (including one of the 2 I own), now this one again... quality dropped... no lesson learnt.

guys, if you're buying one, please check before taking the unit.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: 808 PureView gets Purple Tint Display Screen

Are you absolutely sure your 808 definitely has the purple tint problem and not the natural pink hue commonly found on AMOLED screens? The tint is more noticeable in certain brightness levels, namely in a darkish room.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xyes

the purple tint is so obvious. see attached images I compared them with N8 & N9.

N9 has a yellowish tint which is not obvious when view naturally.

the reason I'm particular to the purple tint is that, my 2nd unit N8 was repaired due to the same problem.

I just got back from NCC, they acknowledged that they can observe the purple tint but they claimed that they tried replacing the LCD but it still carries purple tint. they also refused to remark this in the service report.

they "promised" to bring a demo unit to demostrate to me this is normal.

this is really bad timing to buy this device & I wasn't careful enough by wrongly trusting Nokia has learnt their lesson as I didn't check properly & compare this problem (that's why they put reddish lanterns wallpaper on first homescreen?) before leaving Nokia Shop. when I returned to Nokia Shop, there was (still is) no more stock, I compared it with the display unit, it's so obvious only mine has purple tint.

p.s. I went to 1Utama NCC, a very bad experience. It took me two trips to explain to different people each time & they only made an acknowledgement at the last visit just now & denied to repair. when asked to wipe clean the device for those finger print & stain, the produced to me toilet paper asking me to wipe it myself because they need to rush home.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pauli_p

Just get your faulty unit replaced. Whoever provided the screens are doing bad QC. Nokia doesn't manufacture the screens themselves but they order them from third party (Samsung ?).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sabbyj

my 808 yesterday in india. n mine also has the purple tint! i hate it, damn, my n8 also had it, n i thot nokia wld hav fixed it. no wonder u are losing ur customers, even loyal customers like me are now thinking to switch. I  want a fix for that asap, or i'll be heading to a consumer court.

Sincerely,
Sabbyj

Hit the kudos button if I was of any help to you. And don't forget to mark the solution if I get one.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Xyes - the details of your experience with Nokia Care in Malaysia are being followed-up by the management, you should be contacted shortly if this has not happened already.

Sabbyj - Please contact Nokia Care for local advice, details can be found here: http://www.nokia.com/in-en/support/contact/

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xyes

Re: 808 PureView gets More Problems - Proximity Sensor & Breathing Light

NCC is not doing a good job, even though they claimed that they tested by replacing the LCD, they cheated, the distributor warranty seal on the screws didn't even get tempered. I did a small marking to identify that... :smileyhappy: sadly, they don't do exchange in M'sia, man... plus, whole M'sia out of stock as of now. Nokia just called the day before informing that they'll sort this out with Nokia M'sia. i'm finding more problem with the unit, the screen display is still active during call even though i press my finger on the proximity sensor & standby breathing light doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xyes

Video that shows the additional problems
http://youtu.be/pEtUlm5KSpA
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulDTroy

No defects on mine .. ex singapore 808.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SITI87hajar

Seems like I will have to wait for a few moments before getting the 808.

The Nokia Store and Nokia Care Center in Malaysia is really bad. Last year I sent my Nokia N8 for a digitizer replacement. The NCC staff do a hard reset and all my data is missing.

I don't know how Nokia hire someone to work at their Nokia Store but the staff is so bad. They don't know anything.

Two weeks ago I lost my Nokia N9 (AC-16X) charger. I went to the several Nokia Store asking for the charger. Every store told me that the charger is "out of stock". But in fact the charger is not available in Malaysia at all (I've contacted the Nokia Care via LIVE CHAT).

Nokia 3310, 8250, 6070, 6060, 3120, 1110, 1280, 5300 XpressMusic, N76, 6120 classic, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, N900, C3-00, N8-00, N9, 700, X2-01, Asha 302, Lumia 610, Lumia 920, Asha 501, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1520... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Xyes - on older phones, like my N8, the breathing light only shows when screensaver is set to 'none'. Trychanging it on your 808 and see if it is the same.

(On the initial release of s^3 it operated on all settingsbut was changed when anna(?) came out . Imo only working when ther is no other indication that the phone is on is the most sensible behaviour)
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
stylinred

These additional problems (proximity sensor, notification light) are an issue with Belle, I've got the same issues with my N8 and others have reported the same with their E7s C7s etc
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xyes

that one problem less.

> on older phones, like my N8, the breathing light only shows when screensaver is set to 'none'. Trychanging it on your 808 and see if it is the same.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

Again ? The N8 had it, then the Lumia 900 had it, now this one as well.

Now I wonder how widespread the issue is.. I am getting mine in couple of days, i will share results.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sabbyj

I got a call from a Nokia India representative, and they have asked me to visit a nearby Nokia Care center, so that they can check my 808 and if they think it's a problem with the screen, they will replace it with a new 808. I'm going there tomorrow morning. Hopefully, my problem would get sorted out. :smileyhappy:
Sincerely,
Sabbyj

Hit the kudos button if I was of any help to you. And don't forget to mark the solution if I get one.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sabbyj

I took it there, and they acknowledged the issue and replaced it with a new one right away (Nokia India representative had sent that piece for me to the NCC after I described her my issue on the call). Now I have an 808 without the purple tint issue :smileyhappy: . If any of you have it, I recommend that you take it to your nearest Nokia Care Center. Though I wouldn't advice you to expect a replacement right away like I did. Because my replacement set was already there at the Nokia Care Center. Yours might take some time. But it will come. Cheers. :smileyhappy: ;D
Sincerely,
Sabbyj

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
xyes

This won't work in Malaysia, in fact many of the NCC branch won't even accept the fault our take in for repair on most of the defects, even ifone's willing to pay.
I just made the complaint to the NCC HQ about their branch bad attitude & bad response to customers' complaints, including lying, unprofession, impatient, lack of customer focus...
Hopefully i got a new unit soon since my unit has been returned in whole (includes the cover & battery) to the NCC HQ... I don't wish to have another trips then only learnt that they're not replacing it with a good new unit once & for all.
Please don't make me lose confidence with Nokia any further, I'm losing ground to even recommend others to get a Nokia.
Please use plain text.
veeranand

[ Edited ]

Bought my Pureview yesterday and took it to the service center this morning. The display has a purple hue and to make matters worse the proximity sensor was not working. After having showed the attendant the issue, and after checking and acknowledging the problem.....he asked me to download a 3rd party application from the ovi store! Really!!!!

Now here's the good part; I was further told that both the purple hue and issue with the proximity sensor was something they knew about, but could do nothing about it....Seriously, come on Nokia, wake up! This is supposed to be your flagship!

Moving from a Samsung S2 to a Pureview after visiting this place and hearing the service reps reply just makes me realize how bad a decision I made to switch brands. I went to the extent of showing him my Lumia 800 and the working of its proximity sensor.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Veer

MODERATOR'S NOTE: removed content not allowed under the forum guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
wetter

guys i have some questions, hope somebody can help me:

1)  How can i check the phone for purple tint?

2) As i am here in saudi & am planning to buy this phone, can somebody who bought this phone here in saudi arabia confirm that the unit they bought is free from purple tint deffect?

BTW, if i am not mistaken, here in saudi, the phone is only availabe in jarir bookstore. i asked several mobile phone shops here but none of them is selling the 808 PV.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sabbyj

Well, I got mine replaced, so I think you have to be a little more rigid with them, the more you bend, the worse their service would be. Go the to Nokia Care again, and let them know that you're serious about the issue and that you're willing to take this issue further.
Sincerely,
Sabbyj

Please use plain text.