Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 808 Pureview - drastic battery drain after Gal...

Counsellor
biotron

808 Pureview - drastic battery drain after Gallery update?

Hi - I'd appreciate any thoughts or help with an issue which has just started to happen with my 808.

I have had consistent battery life for the last 8 months since buying the phone, with moderate to heavy use of 3.5G internet and camera - but never normally enjoying more than 24h unless barely using the thing, when it might go to about 36h. Now, all of a sudden - from about 10 days ago - the phone struggles to last more than 3-4 hours after a full charge, with virtually no use of any function whatsoever.

I have tried every possible route for troubleshooting that I have read about or can think of, except doing a full "delete data and restore" - which, as I understand it, will not affect the firmware (and recent updates) or return it to Belle FP1. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Having backed everything up that I can (via USB onto a MacBook Pro; I cannot run Nokia Suite) I am about to go for this "delete data and restore" route as a last attempt to resolve the issue. For the reasons detailed below, I am beginning to think this is either directly related to the recent Gallery/Camera update or an unknown hardware problem that coincides quite closely with when the update was installed.

So far, I have:

• bought and inserted a new BV-4D battery (originally assuming the battery was the cause of this problem)
  • uninstalled and removed most apps
  • reduced my number of home screens from 5 to 2
  • enabled power saving functions
  • changed the 3G polling times for linked emails and so on... (or even switched it clean off)
  • kept WiFi / Bluetooth etc off
  • removed all updating widgets from home screens, including Weather
  • installed "App Stop" and killed quite a few processes on reboot, including "aknspasrv" that nobody talks about

None of this made any difference, so I performed a hard reset (without deleting the mass memory). In truth, I know that nothing about my usage or settings had changed when the battery suddenly appeared to die nearly 10 times more quickly than usual.

The stats on Battery Monitor app are shocking!

PAST WEEK

Total use: 2157% (where 100% is one full battery charge)

Specifics:

• Opera 160%
  • Idle 130%
  • Call 74%
  • Messaging 69%
  • Camera 58%
  • Message Editor 56%
  • Gallery 32%
  • Mail 30%
  • Other 92%

Background: 1448% - and the chief culprits, apparently in order:

• Weather
  • Gallery
  • What's App
  • Opera Mobile
  • Mail
  • aknspasrv (that elusive and mysterious process that nobody seems able to talk about...)
  • Maps
  • Text Message
  • SwipeUnlockSrv
  • Software update

This order of process-draining culprits is replicated almost exactly for both categories in the following daily average stats.

DAILY AVERAGE
Total use: 282% (of which Background = 190%)

Having installed "App Stop" to keep Weather and other stray processes in check, as part of general diagnostics in the last couple of days, the stats for the today are as follows:

TODAY

Total use: 136% (of which Background = 96%)

Top ranking background process is Gallery. The only other ones present are Text Message, Opera Mobile and Files. Just to give an indication of things I am actively using the phone for, the main energy consumers today are PopupClock on 10%, Idle on 8%, Opera Mobile on 7% and so on up to 40% of a full charge. In practice, this only translates to a few minutes on the phone, a few text messages and a few minutes browsing over 3.5G.

Should I attempt to delete data and restore as a final option? Is there any way to return to FP1, or pre Gallery / Camera update FP2? Or should I just cash in my chips now and grovel to Amazon for a refund / replacement?

Any help, info or advice much appreciated thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

Re: 808 Pureview - drastic battery drain after Gallery update?

Perform a soft reset using *#7370# but remember to backup your all data from phone memory and mass memory (16GB inbuilt)

And all your after released updates after BFP2 will be uninstalled/deleted, so you might have to reinstall/update it again.

THANK YOU :smileyhappy:

If this post was useful, click the white star.

Nokia 808 with Belle FP2 (113.010.1506)
Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
biotron

Thank you joe808 - I had performed a soft reset already, but isn't *#7370# a hard reset i.e. the same as "delete data and restore"?!

Anyway, having backed everything up already, I've just done this. The first thing that I notice is that the Gallery looks exactly the same as it did after the recent software update - with ability to mark / share multiple items at once, so it does not seem to have uninstalled or deleted anything from BFP2 as far as I can tell.

So I can't really easily troubleshoot if it is just the recent updates that caused the problem, or some coincidental hardware issue. I'm recharging again now (as I have to do several times daily) and will use Battery Monitor to check and see if this has made any difference before reinstalling apps and reconfiguring the phone.

Many thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

[ Edited ]

biotron wrote:

Thank you joe808 - I had performed a soft reset already, but isn't *#7370# a hard reset i.e. the same as "delete data and restore"?!

I guess hard reset is 3 finger salute. And yes *#7370# and delete data and restore are one and the same thing.

biotron wrote:

Anyway, having backed everything up already, I've just done this. The first thing that I notice is that the Gallery looks exactly the same as it did after the recent software update - with ability to mark / share multiple items at once, so it does not seem to have uninstalled or deleted anything from BFP2 as far as I can tell.

So I can't really easily troubleshoot if it is just the recent updates that caused the problem, or some coincidental hardware issue. I'm recharging again now (as I have to do several times daily) and will use Battery Monitor to check and see if this has made any difference before reinstalling apps and reconfiguring the phone.

Many thanks for your help.

I just now formatted my 808 due to some unknown reason. First did the delete data and restore and then the 3 finger reset. 

I don't know whether the share/send option was there or not as i did not check the gallery app. But now after doing the last reset, the gallery doesn't have those options.

Just incase if you wanna perform the hard reset aka 3 finger salute then just read this thread http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-Maps-problem-after-hard-reset/td-...

But remember everything ie every single app will be deleted. So you will end with no apps and will have to search for the inbuilt apps again, which is painful! :smileyfrustrated:

So come back if you encounter a problem again :smileyhappy:

Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

The high power drain is a common issue here.

I found that having Maps Improvement = ON (in Nokia Drive) reduced the battery life massively, down to a few hours.

Especially if HSPA is enabled (settings / connections / admin settings / mobile data) and you need to be actually receiving a 3G signal for that config item to be visible.

Install AppStop. I found that the Maps app remains running, and terminating that sorted out the power problem too, but I found that after a while I didn't have to do that anymore. Obviously this is a BUG, though I can see that if Maps Improvement = ON they might be doing it intentionally.

I think this whole issue is caused by some data being sent over 3G, probably the Nokia Maps sending out some reports.

Probably the worst combination is having a rogue app transmitting data, and HSPA enabled, and be in a weak signal area.

I think the standard advice which is to hard reset the phone is just a waste of your time. You have to reinstall everything... and the Nokia Suite backup/restore function does not restore apps installed on E: (bulk memory). It restores their config (stored on C: ) but you have to restore the whole E: drive from a backup you made separately. I learnt this the hard way... now I do a backup using Nokia Suite, and also copy the whole of E: (over USB) to a directory (folder) on the PC.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

The standard advice would be to install Nokia Energy Monitor for better feedback on battery use. My personal non-standard advice is to install M-Guard from Netquin, which in one of its various options brings up a considerably larger list of apps running in the background than AppStop, which I find pretty useless in comparison..

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

M-Guard looks interesting... It also has some patently useless features like virus checking which is likely to just slow down the phone, and there are no known viruses for Symbian, especially ones that a normal user is ever likely to come across. I wonder how well it works.

Sure there will be many more processes than Appstop shows. One can see a long list in e.g. Active-File. Symbian runs hundreds of processes in the background. Appstop shows running apps, mainly.

It would be good to get to the bottom of why some people get this problem. But it seems to start all by itself, and end all by itself.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

peterh338 wrote:

M-Guard looks interesting... It also has some patently useless features like virus checking which is likely to just slow down the phone, and there are no known viruses for Symbian, especially ones that a normal user is ever likely to come across. I wonder how well it works.

I don't. I just use M-Guard for the background app feature, the rest are disabled. And it shows apps AND processes. Works for me, I easily get 4 days normal use out of my 808 if I bother to turn all the excess in the background off after turning the phone on for the day.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
biotron

Interesting to hear this, thanks all.

joe808: So, having performed "delete data and restore" the phone is running very much faster than I remember... but after what seemed to be a promising start with minimal drain and App Stop terminating whatever fluff I could select, the phone still went to empty in about 4 hours. This was replicated today, sending only a couple of SMS and browsing via Opera in 3.5G for about 5 mins in total. I am hesitant to do the full hard reset for the various reasons given by everyone in the thread above. Having said that, it is blatantly the only way I am going to eliminate the Gallery update as being the main energy hog here - and I'm beginning to think that surely other users must have experienced this by now, but I don't see anything in the forum or elsewhere online so perhaps this is all just coincidental.

peterh338: Thanks for your thoughts. I have read quite a lot about certain issues causing massive battery drain, including the Maps Improvement On function in Drive. What interests me about this whole problem is that until a couple of weeks ago, I was really pretty ignorant about power-saving tips and quite excessive in my use of camera, internet and so on... and that something brought about a change practically overnight - and that just happened to be very close if not immediately after allowing the recent software update to Gallery and Camera, and that Nokia Battery Monitor now shows the greediest "background" process to be Gallery, and also Weather (unless I kill it with App Stop).

I do recall knocking off HSPA after following initial advice on power-saving soon after purchasing the phone, perhaps from Steve Litchfield's AAS site.

I agree with you that it may well be something to do with data over 3G. Quite often I have been in weak (or indeed no) signal areas, and with email polling set to all day, every day, every 5 mins (didn't Nokia Messaging used to be an instant "push"?! I'm sure it was all so much simpler on my N86...) the battery has drained abnormally fast. At the moment, though, I am in a steadily strong signal area almost all day long, and the problem has appeared in the middle of this without any settings or conditions having changed, to my knowledge. In fact, the average battery life for each full charge now is significantly shorter than even when I had the phone working frenetically to discover WiFi and 3G in poor signal areas.

93tid: Cheers for your input too - I will install M-Guard, it does sound far better than App Stop as you describe it. I would reiterate that none of this was previously necessary, although obviously I can see the benefit of keeping better tabs on energy usage and power saving options. 4 days of normal use after killing processes?! At the moment, with virtually no use at all and even with App Stop having terminated quite a few needless processes, I am scrambling to find the next socket available in a public place after 3 hours tops! 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had anything like these sorts of problem. Does it really seem to "start all by itself, and end all by itself?" At the moment, the Nokia 105 is starting to look like a supremely attractive brick...

Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

biotron wrote:

Interesting to hear this, thanks all.

joe808: So, having performed "delete data and restore" the phone is running very much faster than I remember... but after what seemed to be a promising start with minimal drain and App Stop terminating whatever fluff I could select, the phone still went to empty in about 4 hours. This was replicated today, sending only a couple of SMS and browsing via Opera in 3.5G for about 5 mins in total. I am hesitant to do the full hard reset for the various reasons given by everyone in the thread above. Having said that, it is blatantly the only way I am going to eliminate the Gallery update as being the main energy hog here - and I'm beginning to think that surely other users must have experienced this by now, but I don't see anything in the forum or elsewhere online so perhaps this is all just coincidental.

Sorry to hear from you that.

After my gallery update, i haven't face this problem on my 808 yet (and would not expect!)

Maybe someone here have similar issue?

Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I also have no issues after the Gallery update. I would really leave a hard reset as absolute last resort. Try also reinstalling your current firmware with Nokia Suite.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
biotron

Thanks both.

93tid: out of interest, is there a link anywhere detailing which processes are related to which apps, making it easier to know which of the ones that M-Guard reveals are unnecessary / "excess" that are better turned off? I have tried looking at Energy Profiler as well, but haven't had time to make sense of the functions and graphs.

As I have a MacBook Pro, I will have to borrow someone's PC to attempt a reinstallation of the current firmware with Nokia Suite. That does sound like the last sensible diagnostic, and I really don't want to hard reset it possible. Is this at all likely to be a hardware issue? It is still under warranty and it seems I have exhausted all reasonable options!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

M-Guard itself shows the running apps and the number of processes under each active app, which you can bring up if you tap on it. M-Guard does not decide which apps are unnecessary, that's up to you. There are a couple which cannot be turned off or will effectively freeze your phone if you do, I found them by trial and error. And by a couple I do really mean 1 or 2, possibly 3 at most.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
biotron

Well, yes thanks - I can see the processes and now the apps which require them by tapping on each process. I realise the decision is up to me, I was just wondering about which ones were essential or may cause problems if terminated - so it was very interesting to hear that so few actually freeze the phone!

I will try reinstalling the firmware over Nokia Suite on a PC later if possible - and I have a feeling that a hard reset won't make any difference at all, so am especially reluctant to try it, particularly if it voids the existing warranty I have on the thing... Could this in any way be a hardware issue?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Hard reset cannot void your warranty and in my experience hardware is very rarely the cause of such battery behaviour.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
biotron

Thanks for sticking with me on this 93tid.

So I went to work early today with a fully charged phone. Within 2 hours of leaving the house, with no use of the phone's functions whatsoever, it had drained to 65%. This time I had turned 3G and Wi-Fi off altogether, used App Stop to kill everything on boot up except Battery Monitor, and M-Guard to kill as many processes as possible - incidentally, I found that the only one to crash the phone was CCESERVER.EXE - nearly everything else was expendable.

I turned off 16 or so processes, many of which appeared to be part of "bestofovihs.exe" or related to the app "Nokia Recommande" (sic) or "Metadata System Upgrade". Ovi Maps Wi-Fi / Network Positioning was there, as was GLX.EXE for the Gallery. Now, within 5 minutes, 12 of these processes had come back on again without me having touched anything on the phone. The very same process names now appeared to be attached to "OMB" as the app, as opposed to "Nokia Recommande".

As the phone was nearly dead by lunchtime, I installed Nokia Suite on a PC in my workplace and reinstalled firmware (incl. all 450ish MB of the software). Since doing this, I charged the battery from about 14% to full (which took about an hour) and decided to reboot, use App Stop to kill all excess fluff after booting, and used the phone as I normally might for a walk around the park without using M-Guard to terminate excess processes this time. In one hour, this included:

- 4 minute of call time
- 10 minutes max of browsing, mainly Facebook online, not through Nokia social or dedicated app

- taking and sharing 3 photos, about 4MB each

After exactly one hour, the phone had reduced to 54%. Now in the last 30 minutes since then it has been idling away with only 2 SMS received and 2 SMS sent back, and polling for email twice. The battery has only drained 1% to 53%.

An updated indication of the daily average power consumption as seen on Battery Monitor under current circumstances:

Top energy consumers: 

• Opera Mobile = 16%
  • Idle = 7%
  • Messaging = 3%
  • Camera = 3%
  • Call (3G) = 2%
  • Message Editor = 2%
  • Gallery = 2%
  • Mail = 1%
  • Other apps = 5%

Background processes: 80% (of a daily total of 121%)

Top energy consumers in the "background" list:

• NQPhoneGuardServer
  • NQCommAssistantServer
  • Maps
  • Gallery
  • Weather
  • Opera Mobile
  • Settings
  • Mail
  • Store
  • Map Loader
  • Wi-Fi
  • App Stop
  • Message Editor

I also ran Nokia Energy Profiler out of interest for 3 minute bursts to see what the average consumption rates were. 

The tickover rate seemed to be:

• 14%
  • 229mA (with spikes for various functions and dips for screen dimming / off)
  • 0.87W

I have no idea if this is normal or not. I do know that now I have pretty much tried everything and, if anything, the Nokia Suite reinstallation has made things initially worse.

What seems especially surprising is that right up until a couple of weeks ago, I was able to take hundreds of photos in a day, and browse mainly Facebook online without having to turn 3G or Opera Mobile off at any point, and I would never have any issues with email polling to 2 accounts every 5 minutes - this was always good for 12 hours + and now I can't even use the phone for a fraction of these functions or times before it dies after 3 or 4 hours.

The temptation to do a hard reset grows ever greater...

Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

You can always visit a nokia care point near you if something is really worse. Let them go through your phone.
Again, after a hard reset you will be left with no apps (nokia maps, store and other preinstalled).
You will have to visit NCP for some apps which you won't find over the net. And if you don't wanna go to NCP then you will have to find each and every app as i mentioned it earlier too.
Go ahead and all the best :-)

Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

You can always visit a nokia care point near you if something is really worse. Let them go through your phone.
Again, after a hard reset you will be left with no apps (nokia maps, store and other preinstalled).
You will have to visit NCP for some apps which you won't find over the net.

Let me get this right...

Are you saying that if you wipe some apps which don't  exist in the Nokia app shop anymore, the Nokia "care" point can reinstall them for you?

Where are they going to get them from?

What if you bought some apps in .sis form (as many Symbian apps are these days) and side-loaded them, and when the phone is wiped their certificates are expired, and you can't get new ones from the vendor? The NCP can get those for you also?

That sounds really amazing :smileyhappy:

Especially here in the UK where most 808s are Malaysian grey imports and the Nokia shops will not touch them once they see the IMEI - even if you PAY them.

The best thing is to configure a phone as you want it, make sure it works, do a full back using Nokia Suite (remember that NS doesn't back up apps installed on e: so the whole of e: needs to be copied somewhere too), and then if something like this happens you can trash the phone and restore the last working config.

Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

peterh338: I never said the that apps purchased would be restored by NCP.
I was talking about the preinstalled apps/widgets. When I did a full reset my location widget was missing. Check in app was missing. Moreover place app. Which I never found in nokia store. The Nokia maps suite2 you would suggest me to install but boy that too didn't work. Even after reinstalling thw software didn't work. I got all those apps with some tweaks. So i said that some apps would be restored by NCP only. If you are genius then you know where to get the things right :smileyhappy:

Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.
Sage
joe808

Look at my two posts which clearly says that those apps mentioned above will get through ncp.
discussions.nokia.com/t5/Phone-Applications/Widget-for-808/m-p/1684096

discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Places-app-for-808/m-p/1719690

That's why I said that he'll have to visit ncp to completely get it refurbished. I was wrong then i apologise.

Type RM-807
Product code 059p7z2
Please use plain text.