Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

808 how to Sync contacts and calendar from Gmail a...

brooksananda

808 how to Sync contacts and calendar from Gmail account

Hello

I'm not very "techy" so i have trouble uploading my contacts which are on my Gmail account, as well as my calendar 

I know there is googa sync for the calendar, but is there another way?

Thank you for your help

brooks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: 808 how to Sync contacts and calendar from Gmail account

@brooksananda

You might like to have a look at this workthrough:http://nerdymum.com/2012/06/14/nail-biting-syncing-moments/#more-945

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

Alternatively (and much easier), you can set up your Gmail account as a Microsoft Exchange Account on the phone and Contacts and Calendar will automatically sync. You might need to enter the server manually as m.google.com and that's it.

Please use plain text.
geekgirl0

[ Edited ]

I have tried following steps to sync my gmail contacts:

- New mailbox

- Exchange Active Sync

- mail address: something@gmail.com

- password: gmail password

- username: which user name? is it nokia user name that i have to enter?

- domain: google.com

Popup appears

its best to not to use any other sync apps for your apps after this setup is finished.

pressed 'ok'

- keep phone contacts

- Delete phone contacts (I choose this to avoid duplicate entries that are there on phone)

Following popup appears:

Mandatory server policy failed. Access was refused. Contact your administrator.

pressed 'ok'

So basically I am unable to sync contacts from my gmail. Kindly help.

Edit: Now I see an option of 'Noki Sync' in contacts. Is it different from 'Exchange Active Sync' at least the name suggests so. So how exactly I sync contacts now? Exchange Active Sync is not working but I was warned that I should not use other syncing apps after setting up Exchange Active Sync.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
hpholm

Hi @geekgirl0 ,

First and most important, since January 2013 a paid subscription is required to setup Gmail as MfE on Symbian phones. There is also some potential trouble regarding outdated certificates on the phone and other stuff, and I can not guarantee it is even possible to make it work.

If others have successfully done this on a Symbian phone, please chime in!

So first confirm if you have purchased the required subscription, and if this is what you really want?

Some background information:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.dk/2012/12/google-sync-discontinued-for-gmail.html

The most obvious solution is to purchase another phone with built-in support for all Gmail features. Which will have to be a device with an operating system created by Google, or a device that Google find important enough to support with official applications and services. The only official Google app for Windows Phone is a search app ...

Keep us posted.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
geekgirl0

[ Edited ]

Hi Hans,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have broken my Note 2 glass accidentally and it looks like I will have to move back to a basic Android phone till I get it repaired. I can't use my gmail on Nokia, neither can I sync my online contacts from the mail. Well, that's a bummer.

Your help is much appreciated :smileyhappy:
Thanks again. 

Edit: No, I don't have a paid subscription for that service. So basically I'll keep using Android I guess :-/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
hpholm

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback. The Nokia 808 unfortunately became obsolete shortly after its launch. It is still traded and valued for its unique camera, but is no longer developed. There are several workarounds possible, which may work as temporary solutions. Some of it a bit nerdy, but please ask in this forum if you decide to go for it and need further help.

In the phone browser, go to m.google.com - there is still web access to Gmail, Youtube and an old Symbian app for Maps. I do not have a Google account to check how much is possible via the phone browser, but else the contacts can be exported from Gmail on a PC and imported to the phone. This may require the Nokia Suite on a PC.

It is possible to set up Gmail as IMAP or POP. The email setup guide in the phone should work. EDIT: If that fails, Google has the manual setup information on https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en

I am not sure what to do about the calendar.

Contacts are not sync'ed automatically with this setup.

For a home user with some patience and determination it can work, but not for professional business users.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

Please use plain text.