Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

808 stucked in "Offline" mode and doesn't recogniz...

jdso
Accepted Solution

808 stucked in "Offline" mode and doesn't recognize SIM card.

Hi everyone,

I just bought the 808 PureView in a German electro-hardware store (Saturn). There the phone was in offline mode as it didn't have any micro-SIM. No biggie. However, I got home and inserted my micro-SIM and tried to use the phone but it doesn't recognize the micro-SIM!

I've tried the SIM in other phones (Nokia and other brands) and it works but not in the 808. It is like the phone is stucked in "Offline" mode and I can't make it change: not from the Profiles page (to make it Active), not by pressing the On/Off button and selection "Turn offline mode off", not re-starting it with and then without the SIM and then with the SIM inserted, not "Restore factory settings" not "Delete memoru and restore factory settings"!

Any solutions? Any code to soft or hard reset it as with other models that had a similar issue?

Thanks tons!

JD.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: 808 stucked in "Offline" mode and doesn't recognize SIM card.

[ Edited ]

@jdso

As you probably appreciate such reset should only be carried out as a last resort to restore ability to make calls upon device prior to visiting Nokia Care facility for device software to be re-installed due to deletion of content upon C:\ and E:\ as well as certain applications probably ceasing to work; consequently I am not prepared to condone unsubstantiated reports of of how to carry this out using volume down, camera and power on keys if you Google for "how to hard reset Nokia 808 PureView". 

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pureviewusa

I had exactly the same problem. I cut my own sim, worked for a few days, but noticed times there was 0  service, and gave no sim error. Even rebooting didnt help.

I had to remove/insert several times and I also noticed I didnt 'lock' the SIM in place in the tray, slide back down to lock the tray. I never did any reset or re-install so it was purely a SIM issue

I still saw the issue and just ordered a real MICRO sim and I havent seen the issue ever again.

See if also the metzl ry is touching the metal parts on the sim, if so place strip of tape.

Please use plain text.
jdso

Alright... I guess... I might not give it a try (?!). Thanks.

Please use plain text.
jdso

@pureviewusa I did got a brand new micro-SIM this afternoon. I'd update here if that solves the issue. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
jdso

Hey guys... bad news: nothing works.

- Got the new micro-SIM, tried to activate General, Silent or Meeting mode (ie. anything but Offline) but the 808 refuses to change. It still says Insert SIM card!

- I did all the Nokia updates and upgrades via Nokla Suite. Restarted it and nothing: SIM not detected.

- I did the usual Restore factory settings (with and without deleting) again and nothing: SIM not detected.

- I did the format drive (from Files application) and same: SIM not detected.

- I tried to see if the pins aligned in the micro-SIM compartement and they did; also double-triple checked that the SIM is locked into place and then restart the 808 and nothing: SIM not detected, Offline mode only possible.

- I tried everything again plus *#7370#, same issue. And same with *#7780#.

So I have just contacted Nokia Care via email. Maybe tomorrow I'd know something. But if you guys come up with another suggestion I'd be happy to try.

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

try reinstalling the firmware??
open PC Suite ... click on software updates .. even if an update is not available you can "reinstall" ..
Good Luck!
Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

jdso wrote:

< ... >

So I have just contacted Nokia Care via email. Maybe tomorrow I'd know something. But if you guys come up with another suggestion I'd be happy to try.

Return the phone to where you bought it and get a new one. It is "dead on arrival" and the store must replace it.

Actually you should have done this when it refused to recognize the sim when it was first inserted.

Normal behavior is for the phone to ask if you want to end the offline period whenever it is restarted with a sim inserted. No resetting or manual selection, it picks up the network it belongs to and apply the basic settings automatically.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
jdso

So, following up...

today after a very friendly and fruithful conversation with Nokia Care I took my Nokia 808 PureView to the electro-hardware store Saturn -where I bought it last Saturday- in Germany.

They took noticed of the issue and they offered me to either wait further notices from the repair-shop -two weeks at least- or to reimburse me on the spot. I took the latter as I need to travel. Unfortunately they couldn't offer me a replacement unit as the 808 is sold out and apparently there are none until at least September!

And also they have no idea what is wrong with the SIM issue.

So back to my old Nokia phone from now...

Thanks everyone anyhow!

JD.

Please use plain text.
kiloai

I realize that I did put the sim card in the wrong direction. Now I put it in the right way and the problem is solved.

Please use plain text.