Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: AccuWeather not working after N97 v20 update

Sage
jim64

AccuWeather not working after N97 v20 update

Since N97 v20 update AccuWeather no longer finds location or receives data. Before update I formatted E:, then 3-key hard reset C:, and after update I hard reset C: again. Didn't restore settings to C:, just contacts, etc. I've tried installing AccuWeather from Ovi store to both C: and E: with no success. Also tried on both drives with AccuWeather .sis file I downloaded to PC. But still get "script error: cannot find location" and/or "make sure you're connected to internet". I've seen this mentioned in posts elsewhere, but no apparent solution. Bit cheesed off as it's only live homescreen widget I use. Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

Hy,

try to remove the accuweather from phone and reinstall it via Ovi store,it happened to me and this is the method to resolve(at least for now),or try to spell another city to search and see if it works and if it works go and put your city again.

If you like my post give me a kudos

Please use plain text.
Advisor

britzinelul24,

The problem we all having is to pick the current location that where ever we may be and tell the weather. Not by adding the location and then getting the weather. The current location Weather is a very nice feature that Stood Out when the N97 was released and worked well in Firmware 12.x.xxx but stopped working since the Firmware 20.x.xxx.

Kuru

Please use plain text.
Sage

Even when I add a city it still doesn't work here. It was fine before I updated FFS.

Really annoyed. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

Sorry guys,another solution I don't have let's hope that it will be fixed with an update or something.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

After some messing around I can set location and receive data, although bit unstable. Still no GPS fix for current location though, which is what we want. I may reinstall v20 from scratch at weekend as got couple other minor bugs.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Thanks to whoever deleted my previous post, so much for free speech...

So anyway, does anyone know of an alernative to Accuweather with homescreen widget built in? doesnt matter if its free or paid for.

Ta. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Only one that give current location weather is a Beta 3.03 Nokia Maps but this one there is NO home screen widget. I also Keep saying there is a later version on N97 mini AccuWeather 1.1.0 it seem to be working on RDA. But NO one know how to get it for N97.

Please use plain text.
Sage

My Accuweather is working with v20 on my N97.

After the firmware update I did a four-finger-salute HARD RESET, then reformatted the E: drive and installed everything from scratch (except Contacts and bookmarks).

I made sure that I installed and configured Accuweather last.  After installation, I rebooted and then went in to configure another location ("current location" has never been very swift since it appears to have script errors with the GPS driver) and set that location as the default.

Mine works and updates on its own periodically though I occasionally have to do a refresh to get the latest data.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I had working very well most times on Current Location on FW12.0.xxx. It never failed to get Current GPS location even when it failed with script error if I do try stright after script error it always load the data too. But Since the FW 20.0.xxx It almost fails every time on GPS then time out try to load and hangs on loadin thenask to do refresh but then you have to remove all and try.

I have donw all diffrent  permutations and my belief is that some thing changed on the GPS driver or Lib that is the reason Nokia stop supply this with FW 20.0.xxx. AccuWeather has released a version fixes this and that is the version ship with N97 mini. So far I put few post and reply to few more but no one seem to tell US how to get the version AccuWeather 1.1.0. I have also email AccuWeather about this but only got case number for that.

The Program has no use to me if I have to list all the locations then I know it may work then it not using the GPS.

Also what find strange is Google map picks up the Sats more often when you are inside covered areas but Nokias Maps 3.01 fails hopelessly. Which kind of strange I would expect Nokia to understand it's Own GPS better.

Kuru

Ps I have all hard soft resets and I also tried with only AccuWeather with clean rebuild try to isolate the problem.

Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

[ Edited ]

Best way to deal with AccuWeather is just to get rid of it.

Although there are currently no alternatives to it, it seems buggy at best.  When ever I have this widget enabled it seems to cause more issues than any benefit it might provide.

Moderator Note: Message truncated.

Message Edited by Conjoiner on 09-Nov-2009 02:39 AM
I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

GET THIS ONE!

I was playing about with accuweather and decided to try entering a location outside the UK. Guess what, it works perfectly for every country apart from the UK (Yes I tried ALL of them). So if your in Britain you cant get the weather due to some sort of server issue!:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi the issue is not with when you add place manually that works well in UK too. The issue is to do with current location weather for this you don't need to enter any location information it picks that ifo from inbuilt GPS or Network, A-GPS etc. This was broken since the FW 20.x.xxx update and there must be a update for Accuweather 1.1.0 that ship with N97 mini. But Nokia or Accuweather don't publish this not there software has auto update to this version like other veryusefull widgets. I have now given up using the Widget. I can get Current location weather quick by using Google Voice search than using this Accuweather widget 1.0.2xxx

Kuru

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well for me the issue is that manual location input for ANYWHERE in the UK is met with script errors. I've tried every city, town and island I can think of, None of them work! I can manualy input foreign towns and it works everytime.
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

DON'T USE IT

- There is a reason it was pulled in FW v12 - AccuWeather just plain sucks 

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Advisor

For me it works after Hard reset if I choose to add locations it even works for UK and remote locations in Asia. I found once it started to go wrong then you have to remove and then reinstall again. Script errors are common they pops up when ever there is a connection issue as well. To prove my believe that Nokia pulled the AccuWeather from N97 with 20.x.xxx firmware I reported this to AccuWeather and they have confirmed with following:

unflagRe: AccuWeather.com Support - 533076

From Alisha Lingle
To Kuru Kanagalingam

Date 17-Nov-2009 23:56
Yes, we are aware of the issue.  Its not an issue with the application.  Nokia is aware of the issue as well but we do not have a timeline when a fix will be issued.

-----Original Message-----

Sent 11/17/2009 6:48:26 PM

Subject: Re: AccuWeather.com Support - 533076

The version on OVI Store has an error on N97 Phones it doesn't show the weather of current location it only works by adding the location to list of locations. As this not usefull as the Current location picked up by inbuilt GPS and then download the Weather. That is why I raised the this issue call 533076.

Regards,
Kuru

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a similar issue with accuweather... however, i can get the weather in current location... I live in the UK, n my accuweather widget doesn't download any UK city/town but london... it always shows "script error... please goto options and refresh data... or no connection available...." this is weird as i am able to get the weather of any city on the world from any country but UK.... n to top it all there are no connection settings option for accuweather... if there is someone who can help or suggest something... i have uninstalled/re-installed accuweather umpteen number of times... both on the phone n mass memory but to no use...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Right I've had enough, I'm ditching this piece of excrement ASAP and getting the N900

I am sick to death of stupid apps that never work and a phone that has and operating system that NEVER works as it supposed to!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

So what is the answer then Nokia? Do we bin the phones? or are you going to fix it? And just why did it stop working? Like the others on here i'm having the same problems.

Unable to get towns/cities in the UK to work.

Works with places in other countries.

Current location works 50% or the time, but struggles to get a GPS fix, and then fails to update after an hour.

there are loads of blogs with people all having the same problem, but most of them seem to be in the UK. Why is that? Or have any of our neighbours over the pond had similar problems?

G - Stockport UK

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have only come across a handfull of people who have accuweather working,

surely it's about time that someone sorted this app out.

In my view one of the most useful apps on modern phones is the weather (sad as this may sound), so having a useless app like this seems a shame.

HTC, iPhone amongst others have one that work well - why should we put up with a gap on our homescreens!!!!!!

Please use plain text.