Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Accuweather Issues driving me nuts!

Counsellor

Accuweather Issues driving me nuts!

Okay here the problem, ever since I updated to v20 my Accweather app has refused to work. The error I keep getting is

"Script Alert: There was an error getting the data. Make sure your network connection is enabled and tap OPTIONS > Refresh Data to try again."

Okay I done this many times with no luck. I then unistalled the app and reinstalled it, still the same message. I then decided to wipe the mass memory and format the phone doing a hard reset (multiple times)..still nothing!

All the other apps work fine facebook,iplayer etc its just Accuweather is being a pain.

Anyone else had this issue or knows how to fix it. FYI im getting the app from the Ovi store.

Regards

Joe

Please use plain text.
Sage
matto73

Re: Accuweather Issues driving me nuts!

You are not alone if you search the app in the forum theres many that have that problem including me. Mine actually started to script alert after installing v12 firmaware and v20 didnt solve it.

The only way i found it doesnt script alert is not to search your location instead let the app search it via gps.

I dont think there is a fix for it but if you do manage to come across one i would love to know :smileyhappy:

Nokia N97 Unbranded RM-505 [0585162]
Firmware 21.0.045
It's NOT about the Kudos they just make my day, hit the Star if I Helped.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply mate, I must say that this is a complete joke on behalf of Nokia once again!

Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

There are a million posts on this - the fix is just not to use it.
I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Even back to the original firmware Accuweather has *never* worked properly. It does make you wonder, considering this app is one the front screen widgets by default. Did *anybody* ever turn the phone on and actually test if this worked?! If they did, have they now been fired?!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

GET THIS ONE!

I was playing about with accuweather and decided to try entering a location outside the UK. Guess what, it works perfectly for every country apart from the UK (Yes I tried ALL of them). So if your in Britain you cant get the weather due to some sort of server issue!:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Sage

Specific 3rd party app issues are always easy to solve.

Just remove the app :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

Oh...the Accuweather saga...

First...the "script" errors are from the GPS component. The default Accuweather setup tries to find your location using the GPS, but the GPS hardware and software are so flakey that it won't find a location 99.5% of the time.  I've had the official Nokia GPS antenna fix, loaded the v20 firmware, performed a total hard reset, reformatted E: drive memory and reinstalled everything from scratch and the GPS is still not up to expectations.

So...what do you do?  Go to Options->Add new location and enter just a city name.  It will connect to the network and give you a combo box to pick your location from.  I have had problems with entering zip codes or City-and-state, evidently the software isn't smart enough to parse these correctly.  By the way, be sure to use the stylus to select your city as the size of the box for selection is not "finger-friendly".

Once you have a city added, select Options->Manage Locations, select your city and select "Set deflt." to ensure that your city location is the Default one, select "Done." and then we're almost done.

What this has done is take the poor-quality GPS out of the equation.

Now select Options->Refresh data and you'll see the now-too-familiar "Loading..." but it should now actual find some data (at least 90% of the time).

The reason that the data doesn't always come is that Accuweather pulls this data from their Internet site, which I've found out by trying to access it on my PC, isn't always available online.

Did Accuweather underestimate just how much of a load all of the N97 owners trying to pull data from their website would inflict on their servers?

Oh-and-by-the-way, the Accuweather application was also designed to show you ads.  These appear at the bottom of the screen in portrait mode only, so there is probably an ad-server out there that it is trying to connect to as well.

Something else....when Nokia did their v20 firmware "enhanced memory management" what this means is that the constantly running homescreen widgets may be removed from running if another application needs more memory, so what will happen is that after you exit that application, Accuweather will be restarted and you'll see the "Loading..." indication on the homescreen until it can reconnect and refresh.

Sometimes it appears to help if you open it and select Options->Refresh data. 

Now that you see all of the pieces of this application and what it has to go through to work, you can understand why it appears to be so flakey.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well for me the issue is that manual location input for ANYWHERE in the UK is met with script errors. I've tried every city, town and island I can think of, None of them work! I can manualy input foreign towns and it works everytime.
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

DON'T USE IT

- There is a reason it was pulled in FW v12 - AccuWeather just plain sucks 

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Contributor
2peteshakur

yep same here - i just use the weather app in ovi maps menu! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It seems to work via wifi even with GPS location on but as soon as I set it for GRPS or 3G it comes up with the script error. Anyway im ditching my N97 and getting an N900 cos its horse dung.

Please use plain text.