Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Add wifi function on NOKIA 5230

yvbou

Add wifi function on NOKIA 5230

Hello,

I've a Nokia 5230 since a week. I knew it has no wifi when I bought it. For some use, it would be nice to have wifi function (free hotspot without France per exemple), so I'm looking for solutions on Web. I've found an application "bluetooth-wlan-convert" (!!!) but I can't install it on my 5230 to test it (not compatible). I also have seen a microSD card with wlan function but it seems to work only on Windows CE or Linux based smartphones (http://www.chipchick.com/2006/09/spectecs_micros.html). If the price was acceptable, do you think if it could be use on Symbian based phones with an appropriate application ? Do you know other way for having wifi function on phone without wifi ?

Regards. Yves (France)

Please use plain text.
Sage
umairkhan

Re: Add wifi function on NOKIA 5230

[ Edited ]

i don't think Nokia 5230 this is meant to have wifi capability you can buy nokia products like Nokia 5530xm and 5800xm for wifi.

If you like my post or think it was useful then please hit the star button. Thanks :-)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

You cant solve it by any software fix. You'll need a wifi receiver antenna that is compatible with the 5230, which I do not know if it exists.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I'm afraid it's not possible.

The phone itself has no WLAN capabilities, and its SD slot is just a memory card slot, not a full SDIO slot, so an SD-based WiFi adapter will not work.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
david20098

I maRe: Add wifi function on NOKIA 5230

I managed to use my bluetooth on Nokia N90 at home using Wifi to use internet on my phone

The problem is that it needed a program on my computer to use the wifi through my bluetooth connection.

If i find a special program , i would let you know, everyhting is possible, if somebody sets his mind to it!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akshizzle

Re: I maRe: Add wifi function on NOKIA 5230

What was that program?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hugomak3

Sorry for the bump, but could you send the app to me please. I don't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
jheel_online

even if such an app exists, your phone wont work with free hotspots.
your phone does not have a wifi radio.
keeping that in mind, the only way you can use wifi on the phone would be:-
1. Install the mentioned app on your computer
2. Install a bluetooth dongle on the computer
3. Connect the computer to internet using WLAN
4. Use the wifi-bluetooth app to make your computer 'broadcast' the internet over bluetooth
5. Use your phone's bluetooth to hook up to the internet

Now take a look again at points 1 and 2.
A hotspot administrator won't let you install software on their computer. You cannot ask McDonalds to let you install a software on their computer. They won't you.
You cannot install hardware on a hotspot computer. You cannot ask McDonalds to let you attach a bluetooth dongle on their computer, the admin won't let you.
What david said only holds if you have a wifi connection with your home computer/laptop and want to use that over bluetooth thru your phone. Lookin at your first post, i'm supremely confidnt that that's not what you intend to do- you want to use your phone with a public hotspot.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs louder :-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
subP

and if we just wanna play multiplayer games, even if just at home has anyone done it with the nokia 5230 plz let us know
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hbrenner

What about the application Handi Wi that I see in the Nokia Store?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mirage_23

I've downloaded the HandyWi and its like Opera Safari And Google chrome not a wifi function app

you cant find wifi networks with it so its not

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
naby

what kind of mentioned application

please tell please

i am naby

Please use plain text.
all2happy

It was about  2 weeks ago when I found that a programmer had figured how to get the NOKIA  5230 to read WIFI signals because the phone does pick up a wide range of frequencies, but has a ROM command to select the particular incoming data. However, there is... if I remember clearly, haha... a firmware RAM chip for which he made a software to do a somewhat a bypass which keeps all other functionalities intact and... as of course, a way to list local hotspots.

At the time... I saw no reason to download this ingenuity because for $5 extra a month, the service provider has added unlimited... yet rather slow... internet access to my data plan. But there is also a mention of it being able to connect to PC computers wirelessly which I thought tethering would work much faster until a friend of mine showed me I may be wrong through his SAMSUNG which could allow me to sort of venture about more freely while downloading to either my desktop, laptop or PC tablet.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
humblelife

[ Edited ]

The sub-system for SD Cards is based around Universal Serial Bus.  Many old PDA's can be converted to newer WPA-PSK systems by using Wifi-SD cards, as drivers are installed into the old PDA (such as my Dell-Axim) to work with the SD-Card based wifi adapter (Thus disabling the original WEP wifi adapter, using the newer WPA-PSK compatible SD-Card instead).  This can work for machines that are old as hell...  Well, WM2003.   

It is technically possible for Nokia to write a program/driver to work with Wifi Micro/TF cards. Especially using the method you are talking about.  It's just a case of convincing them to do so.  If I had the time, I'd do it.  (I mess with this kind of stuff all the time, but can't with my Nokia as I spend most of my time developing for Android, a different system with a strong learning curve outside of app-inventor).

Keep looking and trying.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

yes there is a way. Well kind of, there's an app called hiisi proxy for both your phone and your pc.when you install this app you have to configure it. Dont worry it isnt difficult.just google hiisi proxy app settings for s60 5th. It shares your pc's internet over bluetooth to your mobile via the mobiles bluetooth. I have a nokia 5230 at i did it myself, it works really good!
Please use plain text.
playfulangel14

Please use plain text.
playfulangel14

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
josh1986

Hi,

I could not see the app name in your response as per the step 1.

Could you please specify the name?

Thanks

Josh

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
merimakopic

What mentioned app and how to do these steps?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

yvbou wrote:

"bluetooth-wlan-convert" can't be install on my 5230 to test it (not compatible).

There you go …

Please use plain text.