Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.
Reply

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8....

Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

[ Edited ]

Sow

 

As we all know the N97 was a big fail (for 80-90% of us)

And as we all know the OS sometimes it get stuck and you cannot press any button,the only sollution is to remove the battery (that is happened with almost all symbian phones,at least that was my case)

 

Sow the new N8 has a built in battery (you must open by unskrew, it has 2 screws)

Sow what I mean:

 

What should we do if the phone OS get stuck like in previous nokia phones (and for sure it will happen on N8) ???

We unscrew and then what, we lose the waranty???

 

Another FAIL from Nokia and another problems for customers!

 

Sow what's your oppinion?

You can post it here!

 

Regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker
Posts: 2,402

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

[ Edited ]

note that the N8 will have the new Symbian 3 to boot...

 

i mean that it's probable that the N8 will not freeze as, for example, N97 does (which means you don't have to take out the battery)...

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

I'm aware that it will have the new Symbian 3 but let's say that it will happen 5 times /year then what??

 

Because I'm very sure and I  can make a bet that it will happen to freeze sow the only solution it will be to take off the battery,and then you will encounter the above problem :smileywink:

 

Sow conclusion: Nokia again FAIL :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
jheel_online
Posts: 159

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

every system can crash- OS/2, SUN Solaris, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mac OS, Windows7, think of any OS you have used. The fact is, every OS can and have crashed, some time or the other. And symbian with any number attached behind it, is not gonna be an exception. To say S3 wont crash is like saying i will never lose a Russian roulette.
N97's OS is has made a name for itself as the buggiest ever from Nokia, possibly the N8 won't be that bad, but to say the N8 is 'uncrashable' is to deny a hundred years of computing history.
A non-removable battery is a bad move from Nokia, and people should not defend bad moves from industry leaders.
Not so long ago, nokia fanboys would bash apple fanboys because apple didn't allow a removable battery in the iphone, and apple fanboys would blindly defend apple claiming iOS is uncrashable. Now nokia has come up with a similar approach, and these same nokia fanboys would now defend the N8 with those exact same arguments-S3 is non crashable. But this doesn't change reality, a non user-replacable battery is simply a bad move. Why does nokia have to copy everything bad from apple? Come on.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs louder :-)
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

Is really a problem here because if your phone freeze that's it,you must take out the battery,and taking out the battery you will lose the warranty.
It was very simple to set a little hole (for reset the phone) to reset it with a needle and the problem it was resolved,but now I really don't know if I will buy this phone.
I think that is a serous problem and really I don't know what it will be the solution for this situation
Please use plain text.
Sage
jheel_online
Posts: 159

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

well, now if your phone freezes, you'd need to wait for 3 days until the batter runs zero and the phone switches off, recharge it, cross your fingers, restart the phone, and if it crashes again after a couple of hours-yea you guessed it- wait for another 3days for the battery to die again.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs louder :-)
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

:smileyhappy:) nice mate,nice
It's funny but I'm afraid that is true It will be an unpleasant situation.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sentimentGX4
Posts: 110

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

You could either let the battery drain naturally or perhaps the N8 will be as stable as the iPhone?

Well the N8 has had its product launch date pushed back several times due to software problems already. This could either mean that the phone's problems have been panned out or that its going to be the glitchiest Nokia phone yet.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg
Posts: 1,795

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

The N8 power switch also acts as a kill switch indipendant of the OS

Hold it in for 5 secs and it will disconnect the battery as effectivly as if you had pulled it

Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

Hey @synth_fg if is for real what you say then I got to say that this is a really good thing that Nokia made,but unfortunately nobody knows for sure this thing
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg
Posts: 1,795

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

 


britzinelul24 wrote:
Hey @synth_fg if is for real what you say then I got to say that this is a really good thing that Nokia made,but unfortunately nobody knows for sure this thing

 

It's in the spec

several nokia people have confirmed

and several of the independant bloggers given pre production models to test have tried it and confirmed it works,

Please use plain text.
Sage
jheel_online
Posts: 159

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

synth_fg, would you mind providing an official link confirming what you just claimed? I reseached this on google but unfortunalety couldnt find a single official nokia document claiming what you just said. What can be asserted without a proof, can be dismissed without a proof eh? Thanks :smileyhappy:
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs louder :-)
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

@jheel_online has right @synth_fg it will be perfect if you will post a link with that you sustain.

Best regards
Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24
Posts: 223

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

Hey guys look at the picture that I just attached (I found the manual on the web) and aparently if you hold the Power button pressed for 8sec. it resets the phone without erase anithing.

 

Now all that it ramains is to see when the phone is out on the market.

 

Regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker
Posts: 2,402

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

 


jheel_online wrote:
every system can crash- OS/2, SUN Solaris, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mac OS, Windows7, think of any OS you have used. The fact is, every OS can and have crashed, some time or the other. And symbian with any number attached behind it, is not gonna be an exception. To say S3 wont crash is like saying i will never lose a Russian roulette.
N97's OS is has made a name for itself as the buggiest ever from Nokia, possibly the N8 won't be that bad, but to say the N8 is 'uncrashable' is to deny a hundred years of computing history.
A non-removable battery is a bad move from Nokia, and people should not defend bad moves from industry leaders.
Not so long ago, nokia fanboys would bash apple fanboys because apple didn't allow a removable battery in the iphone, and apple fanboys would blindly defend apple claiming iOS is uncrashable. Now nokia has come up with a similar approach, and these same nokia fanboys would now defend the N8 with those exact same arguments-S3 is non crashable. But this doesn't change reality, a non user-replacable battery is simply a bad move. Why does nokia have to copy everything bad from apple? Come on.

please read more carefully my post; i din't say that symbian 3 won't crash but i said that it will crash more seldom than, FOR EXAMPLE, n97 does...

 

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker
Posts: 2,402

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

whenever my N82 crashes, i don't take out the batttery because this is not the solution... i just hold down a key (usually the red key) untill the phone reboots...

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker
Posts: 2,402

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

 


jheel_online wrote:
well, now if your phone freezes, you'd need to wait for 3 days until the batter runs zero and the phone switches off, recharge it, cross your fingers, restart the phone, and if it crashes again after a couple of hours-yea you guessed it- wait for another 3days for the battery to die again.

no no... you just hold down the menu key for some seconds and the phone will restart...

 

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1
Posts: 410

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?


phonehacker wrote:

 

no no... you just hold down the menu key for some seconds and the phone will restart...

 


Hey guys, jheel_online is talking about frozen phone, meaning the red or blue button doesn't work (because the phone is frozen). So how can it get restarted without removing a battey?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg
Posts: 1,795

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

 


mccoy1 wrote:

phonehacker wrote:

 

no no... you just hold down the menu key for some seconds and the phone will restart...

 


Hey guys, jheel_online is talking about frozen phone, meaning the red or blue button doesn't work (because the phone is frozen). So how can it get restarted without removing a battey?


 

Once again

The power switch works independantly of the phone OS

Hold it in for 5s or so and the power will be pulled from the phone wether it's frozen or not

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1
Posts: 410

Re: After N97, another fail but this time with N8.What's your opinion?

hey synth-fg, thanks for letting us know that trick. So can you switch off a frozen N97 using the same trick?
Please use plain text.