Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8...

Sage
RiderX

Re: Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8)

ahodarkar wrote:
Im the first poster of this thread...i am not an expert...and i use a lot of third party apps....i have all the bells and wistles running....i uninstalled communicator, stopped using nokia battery monitor and set wlan to never and stop search from autostarting....i now get 50+ hours on one charge with medium usage...not bad atall...

riderx: cud u list t apps which are running in ur background???....36hours for 15% battery is phenomenal....but i suspect u must not be using any of the ui improvement apps

ahodarkar, of course I do take care that there is nothing running and eating battery.

But I didn't uninstall Communicator, and still have Battery Monitor. Neither of them is running of course. All internet is off most of the time (unless I use it), WLAN scanning is off, and emails are checked every 15 minutes by POP3. 

No fancy screen saver, my phone is black when locked.

I don't have any Beta software. I once had beta maps running, but it made problems so I uninstalled it.

When I start "App Stop", I can see the following processes running:

Menu/qtAppBooster/Clock/Messaging/Favorite Contacts/Log/Contacts/All Wrt widgets

This is the full list, nothing else active. I always use the "Exit" menu/button after I finished using some app.

With these simple rules you will certainly improve your battery.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

Thanks RiderX..and that is how I had most of it with anna..and before anna except I have no mailboxes set up and I manually refresh using mobile documents. appstop shows the same except for favourite contacts, which I have not set. In fact I had betalabs bubble which I removed and I took it to NCC for factory reset and fresh anna install..I also have unistalled communictor..no fancy wallpaper on homescreen it is completely black..no widgets online, I have only 2 short cut widgets and I deleted the 3rd homescreen..display is set 10%. No battery monitor. search is off..

You will see that most us have been doing along these lines and still face problems...we are not "moaning" because we want to...! The settings are ever more minimal than how it used to be with pr 1.2

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well RiderX, thank you for the very educative and unhelpful post. In anycase since you have decided to become a self-proclaimed proponent of NOKIA - BTW are you a NOKIA employee?, there is no point in getting into a interlude with you.

For all the others who are facing the same problem - for which this post has now filled 5 pages, that is - Reduction Of Battery Life after upgrading to Anna, reading the various posts I've tried one thing which seems to have increased my battery life considerably. All the settings are the same as pre-Anna, only I've now switched Network Selection from Menu - Settings -Connectivity to GSM - there are three options av - Dual, 3G and GSM. Pre-Anna days it was always at Dual mode and did give about 2-3 days of battery life. After Anna it dropped to 10-14 hrs. Now with it set to GSM only - after 24Hrs, Battery Monitor is showing 68% life - which translates to hopefully total life of more than 48 hrs - 2 days, which I guess should be OK for a Smart Phone.

However why is this happenning - no idea - the Anna update has to with this is for sure.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ahodarkar

guys guys lets not argue...lets see if there are more solutions...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SBoothy

As per c0br4 post

I also found closing Battery Monitor 2 significantly helped with battery life

Boothy

Please use plain text.
Advisor
globethrottle

[ Edited ]

So almost 3 days is quite a bit shorter batt life then pre Anna. Mediaplayer and Battery mon. running in background,  just a few calls and little else. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Rodenbusch

Hello, I´m from Brazil and I´m here to confirm the same problems! After ANNA update, my N8 battery life became so bad, just during one day, or max 30hrs! And there is another problem, same times get reboot and applications erros! Today I entenred in the OVI suite and says that have another update for ANNA, now I´m updating and soon as possible, I will tell you if solve the problem or not! Thanks for the attention and sorry about my bad english!

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

Don't have battery monitor running in the background. Don't use its WRT widget.

When you check your battery, start the Monitor and Exit it after.

Don't have music player running either. Switch to GPRS (not 3G) when not using the internet. Check your emails not more than every 15 minutes. Make sure, the connection is dropped automatically  afterwards. Switch off WLAN scanning.

Simple rule: If your phone is passive, it won't eat (much) battery. Everything running all the time, including camera app, or using a regular internet connection, will eat your battery.

Most people have better battery after Anna update. So you will have too.

But don't be too greedy. Remember, Android users carrying spare batteries to last a day, and iPhones are also on the charger every night. We do quite well here with our Nokias.

Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

The battery issue is due to the pre-anna apps that are running on your phone(s).  The AAS guys had battery life increases of 15%-50% with Anna. 

Steve mentioned that one of the worst culprits is Battery Monitor and recommended an uninstall.  He also said that a lot of other legacy apps will cause performance problems and suggested, that if possible, you uninstall your apps, hard reset and then re-install the OS.  Only then can you be sure that these apps are no longer causing problems.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Same problems here on my nokia c7, before Anna 48 hours and 10% battery life left after Anna same conditons after 10 hours 5 % power left

And what does Nokia ???

Please use plain text.
Advisor

cecampbell wrote:

The battery issue is due to the pre-anna apps that are running on your phone(s).  The AAS guys had battery life increases of 15%-50% with Anna. 

Steve mentioned that one of the worst culprits is Battery Monitor and recommended an uninstall.  He also said that a lot of other legacy apps will cause performance problems and suggested, that if possible, you uninstall your apps, hard reset and then re-install the OS.  Only then can you be sure that these apps are no longer causing problems.

Well I guess finally that may be the only option to most of us who have tried everything else.  However some of us have given our mobiles to NCC who did this without an increase in the battery performance after it came back. I'vent given my mobile to them so wouldnt like to comment on this. However after 1 week of reading this post and experimenting on my N8 - infact NOKIA should gift me a new N8 because I am not sure after all this experimenting - I am no expert - my mobile will ever be the same again.

OK on a serious note finally what has worked on my N8

- Battery Monitor in installed, so is Communicator- dont use the latter at all.

- I set my Network setting to GSM- this gave me 40+ hours of battery life with normal usage of all resources and substantial usage of Music Player - I can live with this.

- However when I reset it to Dual mode - the life immediately dropped to 10-12 hrs.

CONCLUSION

Since I am staying in the same house as before Anna Update - the signal strength has not changed from then to now - however I got 3 days + life on Dual settings in the same area earlier. The Signal strength is poor in my area - keeps varying - I think this is the problem - in post Anna Nokia there seems to be a booster / signal enhancer in case signal drops below a certain level/ power usage in auto shifting from GSM to 3G is much more - something which was not there, or if there, didnt consume as much battery before Anna. SO for all those who dont want to go to the trouble to loosing all data - which is what a Hard Rest will do, I guess if you are in an area where the signal strength varies - switch to GSM when not using 3G, to save battery power.. BTW - Sleeping Screen also consumes decent amount of power..but then it existed before Anna to.

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

3G will use more battery than GSM/GPRS. If your signal is weak, it will be much more.

If you have a buggy widget installed which uses internet all the time, it will again eat your battery. Most prominent faulty widget is "Accuweather" which does not switch off internet after loading the weather data.

Put all widgets in offline mode (from main menu).

And put your phone in powersaving mode. This will switch off 3G. If you need internet on your phone, just switch it back and 3G will automatically be selected again.

After 5 days and light use, my phone battery is now on 20%. I charge it this moment. It is a very good value, thanks to Anna!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

Riderx, stop spreading b...t! Droid phone brands are numerous. Tell me which ones precisely require carrying additionlal battery to last a day? My Galaxy S1 is now 147 hours since unplugged and still 32%battery power left (just lying idle on the table, no plane mode). You are doing "well" with Nokia because you do nothing with Nokia: no internet integration, worse screen, weak graphics, slow processor which is even underclocked. In addition, you are forced to be world champions in uninstalling sw and hard resetting your phones. The advice would be: put your phones in plane mode, and you get as much power as you can. :-)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

+1...should we be downgrading a "flagship" product as a dumbphone...just bcos of shoddy way in which anna has been made?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
globethrottle

"And put your phone in powersaving mode. This will switch off 3G. If you need internet on your phone, just switch it back and 3G will automatically be selected again."

You have to switch off 3G before selecting powersaving mode, if not it will stay in 3G, atleast thats how my phone works.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sydney_vienna

well, I have to say that my battery usage has not changed at all since upgrading to Anna. It doesn't matter if I put it in energy saving mode, or not. Took 150 photos and 5 short videos  On my recent trip, had maps running a few times and the battery lasted 3 days. The photos are full size.

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

globethrottle wrote:
"And put your phone in powersaving mode. This will switch off 3G. If you need internet on your phone, just switch it back and 3G will automatically be selected again."

You have to switch off 3G before selecting powersaving mode, if not it will stay in 3G, atleast thats how my phone works.

No. Even before Anna it automatically switched to GPRS/GSM when in energy saving mode. And switches back to 3G when back to normal mode.

That's how it should be, as 3G uses considerably more energy than plain GSM.

Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

sydney_vienna wrote:

well, I have to say that my battery usage has not changed at all since upgrading to Anna. It doesn't matter if I put it in energy saving mode, or not. Took 150 photos and 5 short videos  On my recent trip, had maps running a few times and the battery lasted 3 days. The photos are full size.

I haven't done any exact measurements before/after Anna, but others have and battery is supposed to last 15-50% longer than before Anna.

Well, 50% sounds a bit too optimistic in my experience, it may be closer to 15%.

But your usage pattern of 3 days sound about right to me. It is quite good.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Will running Nokia energy profiler in the background use up large quantum of power? I just want to monitor my phone to arrive at a reliable power consumption value for my phone...
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

blitzkid wrote:
Will running Nokia energy profiler in the background use up large quantum of power? I just want to monitor my phone to arrive at a reliable power consumption value for my phone...

If you use it for a short time, it won't matter much. But don't let it run in the background for days.

Please use plain text.