Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8)

Contributor
UltiMatE_daX

Re: Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8)

still no change at all. I slept 8 hours with WLAN on and the indicator decreased only 1 bar.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

has anyone got an answer for this yet? I have re-installed my os using the *#7370# method, i have tried two new batteries, i have turned off all the bells and whistles, removed communicator, but i am still struggling to get more than 24 hours of useful battery life with light usage.
Before i installed anna, i was getting two to three days. My girlfriend has an unlocked n8 and she gets five days usage with only bluetooth turned off!! And she is quite a heavy user.
I emailed nokia and they gave me a long list of things to turn off, effectively turning my smart phone into a classic hand set, but nothing useful at all. The only thing they suggest is taking the phone to a nokia care centre, but what can they do other than re-install the os again?
Seriously nokia, you need to fix this
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

DarrenCampbell wrote:
has anyone got an answer for this yet? I have re-installed my os using the *#7370# method, I have tried two new batteries, 

Until three key depressed power on reset carried out and firmware completely re-installed at a Nokia Care Point, all measures to exclude software corruption have not been carried out; whilst there are a number of reports of this issue, the forum would be alight if it wasn't an isolated issue.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sydney_vienna

I think this post should now be closed. I, as well as a lot of other users have shown that it is not the Anna update that is to blame for the battery life

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Whilst I respect your right to make the claims that you have, other's (including myself) are clear that the Anna update directly caused a reduction in battery life.  Anna update day, full day battery life - Anna update day +1 down to about 10-12 hours with EXACTLY the same usage and no other changes at all.  QED  Cause and effect - can't get much clearer than that.

Whilst I don't dispute that you, personally, saw no difference, your sweeping statement suggests that quite a large number of people (not technical idiots) are quite wrong.  As you personally have not experienced the problem it does not mean the problem does not exist - it clearly does. I presume that as you have no problem, then this thread is no longer of interest to you.

What most people would like is

1. A statement of what is the cause of the problem that they experience, ideally from Nokia.

2. Clear instructions, again ideally from Nokia, of how to resolve it.

Suggestions on this forum of - try this and try that (whilst appreciated as an attempt to help ) - apart from wasting time when they don't work, are frequently provided by people who have not experienced the problem themselves - and are therefore guesswork related to what might solve the problem.

I should add that a complete reset of the whole phone, including re-installation of all the applications you may have, is a process that should not be necessary - if I had to do that every time Windows was upgraded I would have dumped Windows long ago.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi all

Installed anna monday afternoon in australia. battery life pos update simply a joke!

pre anna:

home screen widgets: 2 x email accounts heavily used on 5 min update; national geo video news; national geo stories; nat geo pic of day; sky news aus; cnn; accuweather; e news; battery mon 2; search.

settings: wlan scanning off; known wlan only; wlan power saving on; wlan set as priority 1 for internet connection; dim after 30 sec; screensaver after 1 min.

regular useage: 15 to 20 phone calls (generally 3-4 min each); heavy email between 8am - 9pm; 20 min internet; 20 min games; gps for 30 -40 min each morning & afternoon (to remind me of speed cameras).

charging pattern: in car to and from work mon - sat.

result: never saw battery below 60%

post anna:

fully charged at home 10pm tues evening. by 10am next morning 50% dead by 3pm.

have taken advice from here:

1 backed up phone

2 reset using 7370

3 reinstalled anna via ovi suite

4 reinstalled all apps

5 uninstalled the microsoft thing

6 set search to not autostart

7 all other seetings / widgets as before.

fully charged last night 8pm. at 10am still sitting at 90%

thanks for the help everyone. i hope this has at least limited the damage. i suppose i'll know in a couple of days.

cheers

mick

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Looks like we're not the only one struggling with this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15559721
Still struggling to get 20 hours stand by time, this phone is almost un-usable unless i charge it all the time because one or two calls in the morning means the phone is dead by the evening. This really needs to get sorted out!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Oh, and can i just say that switching all the bells and whistles off to active over 20 hours of use isn't a fix, at best it's a work around.
A fix is when the underlying fault is found and made good so that the phone can go back to 3 or more days standby with the settings how they are designed to be, with no loss of functionality.

So, we're waiting for a fix so we can go back to using our phones they way they were designed and advertised to be, rather in powersave mode with most of the functionally switched off.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sydney_vienna

Perhaps I have a miracle phone, as I have simply installed all updates as they have become available. Have not made any resets, or anything special. Have installed maps from 5 different countries.

I would consider myself a heavy user, as I take lots of photos (largest), which include the current location, leaving the camera on all the time. Yet I can go for a few days without recharging the phone.

I do have another problem, but this is not part of this thread

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

sydney_vienna wrote:

Perhaps I have a miracle phone, as I have simply installed all updates as they have become available. Have not made any resets, or anything special. Have installed maps from 5 different countries.

I would consider myself a heavy user, as I take lots of photos (largest), which include the current location, leaving the camera on all the time. Yet I can go for a few days without recharging the phone.

I do have another problem, but this is not part of this thread

My experience largely echos this. I've applied all the updates (been on Anna for a while, now, also installed the service pack when it was released).

Can't say as I've noticed much difference in battery consumption at all between the various releases. Truth be told, I do tend to keep the charge topped up - say at home or at work during the day, or overnight.

Out and about (either walking or driving) is when mine mainly sees drain, as invariably I'll be using the GPS too.

Biggest hit on battery performance that I've personally encountered is WiFi power saving. With that turned off, seems to decrease battery life SIGNIFICANTLY.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Anna certainly doesn't like the fact I removed Microsoft Communicator. Every time I connect to Ovi Suit now it tells me I have 2 updates. One being an update to "real golf" the other "Symbian Anna Update 2/2". I assume the latter = MS Communicator. Problem is that it won't give me the choice to untick the Anna and install the game update.

Cheers

Mick
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi again,

Just noticed another thing. Pre Anna my wifi settings were set to never scan and only connect to known, and wifi set as priority 1 for internet. This meant when at home / work with known networks I'd notice the wifi icon/notification at the the top would briefly come on when checking mail every 5 minutes.

Post Anna the wifi was constantly on when within range of a known network.

Just deleted my two mailboxes (again) and reconfigured them. Now I notice pre-Anna behaviour. Wifi icon only on for 10 seconds or so when checking mail every 5 minutes.

Really seems that for a lot of us to get good battery life post Anna youreally need to do the 7370 and only restore contacts and messages. You need to re-install all apps, settings, mailboxes, etc.

Cheers

Mick

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi again (again :smileywink:)

I gave in and let Anna 2/2 install along with MS Communicator just to see if it would suck the life out of my N8 again. This time around it doesn't seem to be automatically running in the background - verified by Fe Pro and TaskMan. When I first installed Anna OTA MS Com was always running after reboot (some reboots uncalled for).

As I said before - even though only my experience - it really seems the 7370, reinstall Anna, restore contacts & messages only, delete and restore mailboxes, and reinstall all software, seems have helped greatly.

Now 5 hrs since reinstall of Anna 2/2 - heavy email use; 5-6 phone calls; all previous widgets running; 6-7 sms sent; + a bit of playing around to check settings and battery useage = 94% battery.

It really seems as though for many the Anna update didn't play well with existing settings and application installs/settings. It's sad I had to spend several hours mucking about reinstalling all my software and settings but seems ok now.

Anyway, Battery seems just about back to normal and no reboots since the 7370. Can only hope it stays this way. 

Cheers

Mick

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arbaerinn

Hi there guys, these discussions are very interesting,  In my opinion is the battery lasting longer in my N8 than any other smartphone.

I have not had this problem at all but this discussion were in a meeting that I was involved last night.  One solution is to turn off the active search for WLAN connection.  The phone will still automatically connect to known WLAN, but if you want to connect to a new one, you have to turn the WLAN on manual.  (This has probably been said here, but I just wanted to mention it ones again). 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nol2011

the last few months since the Anna update i also had dramatic battery life. I downloaded Energyprofiler and even though i swichted 3g off, wlan off it still consumed a lot of battery life. Last day the battery drained in 24 hours even though i did not use the phone and it was power saving mode. In 4 hours battery life was usually at 50%.

I went through my download history and saw that while updating to Anna i also started using NBM as a widget

This morning i removed NBM and after 8 hours the first bar of the energy meter is still in sight.

I think NBM is the big power consumer. And why: because it is constantly  monitoring the battery life :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dalby69

[ Edited ]

I'm another person whose recent upgrade to Anna has seen battery life drop from 2 to 3 days to charging at least twice a day.  And twice now the battery has been flat in the morning.

I've removed all widgets, MS communicator, email, some apps I really liked such as Force Control and the many other suggestions in this thread.

I sometimes don't use my phone for days and my phone has not made a data connection for three months.

I'm really disappoined with this as to me the 2-3 days battery life was one of the great features of the phone compared to other brands and their operating systems.

As a Nokia user for many years now (I've never had any other brand), I think this will be my last.  I've *never* had to worry about my previous Nokias - they just kept working and doing what they had to do without constant tweaking and time-wasting. 

With Anna delays and everything else, I can't help feeling Nokia has lost the plot.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Acura69

[ Edited ]

I use my phone exactly the same as I did before Anna & the battery life is drastically reduced.  I cannot get thru the nite (~8 hours) w/out my battery dying whereas before it would stay @ full bars (100%).  I tried various tricks like turining off the screen saver but no luck so far.

Looked thru my installed apps history & could not find NBM ... how did you uninstall it?  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Just a quick note for those like me - who until my experience today - were relying on Nokia Battery Monitor for levels.

10am full charge according to BM

11am - 60% reported

plugged in to Ovi Suit for five minutes to sync calendar

11.07am - 89% reported

I don't think BM is  a very reiable tool

Mick

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sydney_vienna

don't forget, when you plug it into Ovi via USB, you are actually charging the phone as well. Therefore, the levels would go up

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi SV,

Fully understand that but a 29% increase in 5 minutes??

Cheers

Mick

Please use plain text.