Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8)

Advisor
Dalby69

Re: Anna Battery Consumption very heavy! (Nokia N8)

[ Edited ]

There has to be an answer to this battery usage problem.

I haven't made any calls, used any data, sent any SMSs for several days now yet still need to recharge at least twice a day compared to every 2-3 days minimum prior to Anna. 

I've reinstalled Anna, removed all widgets, using a dark theme and have uninstalled most of my apps.

App Stop shows the only app running in the background is Clock.

I'm still loathe to do a factory reset until I find a suitable way to reinstall paid-for apps without calling support. There is just no obvious way that I can find to do it via the phone or Nokia Suite.

Can anyone suggest a method for the latter paragraph please?

If this continues I'm going to have use another phone as I can't trust my N8 any longer even to rely on it as a morning alarm.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Ok, so the night before last, i re-installed my OS from the nokia suite (no longer called ovi) from my pc. Charged the phone over night and removed it from charge at about half six in the morning.
I spent about half hour on the net, sent and received about 20 texts and made/received about sis short phone calls. The phone was completely dead by half 8 in the evening. Thats just 14 hours in total.
Yes, i have email syncing every 5 mins between six am and ten pm, but that was never a problem before anna.
I have turned off wife scanning, removed the communicator things, stopped the search function and even turned off the clock screen saver, its just not lasting.
If i get a chance tonight, im gonna do a factory reset, then i will re-install the OS from nokia suite before adding contacts or emails or music or pictures, then ill see how it goes.

Ill be in touch
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Thought I had fixed mine. Had a meeting in the city today (Sydney). Fully charged at 7am. Email sync every five minutes; 5 x 2-3 minute phone calls; 2 x sms replies; 6-7 email replies; no wifi.

Phone died at 4pm on way home.

This needs to be fxed!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

BTW - why does this thread say "solved"?

A moderator needs to remove it!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Ok, so tonight I have formatted, reset to factory and re-installed Anna.

I formatted the phone by dialling *#7370#

Once completed, I then re-set my phone to factory by going Menu> Settings> Phone> Phone mgmt> Factory settings

Once that had completed, I then re-installed Anna from the Nokia Suite

Once complete, I then installed the Anna service pack that remained.

I hope that this will fix the problem, I'll be in touch
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dalby69

Hope it works for you. Darren. I did the same yesterday with the addition of backing up my phone then restoring after the factory reset and reinstall of Anna.

Unfortunately it did nothing for my phone which died at 4.10am after being re-charged 8 hours before.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi all

This battery issue is doing my head in. Three days in a row I've done same thing as I've had all day meetings in the city. Fully charged @ 7am when I leave home (on charge all night).

Each day  email sync every five minutes (receive and read abt 50 emails); 5-6 x 2-3 minute phone calls; 2-3 x sms replies; 6-7 short email replies; 15-20 minutes web browsing; no wifi (scanning set to off)

Day 1 - BM reported 100% @ 7am (2.7 days active) phone dead @ 4pm

Day 2 - (100% 2.2 days active reprted @ 7am) arrive home at 6pm with BM reporting 63% battery left.

Home screen - 7%

Mail - 6%

Call (3G) - 7%

Call (2G) - 1%

Web - 4%

Widget UI - 1%

Opera Mobile - 1%

Other apps - 4%

Background - 6%

Day 3 - (100%, 2.4 days active reported) arrive home 6.30pm BM reporting 15% Battery left

Home screen - 9%

Mail - 9%

Call (3G) - 8%

Web - 5%

Widget UI - 2%

Opera Mobile - 2%

Other apps - 1%

Background - 49%

So the change in background useage from 6% one day to 49% the next. Seems to pretty much explain the extra drain on battery or BM is totally incorrect.

If BM is correct all I can assume is that under Anna their are some (hidden) background services that don't turn off as designed sometimes.

Has me baffled.

Cheers

Mick

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Ok. So it's I took my phone off charge last night about 11, and its still showing a full battery, so I think this may have fixed it.
This is much better than yesterday where my battery went flat in just 9 hours.

I should say that after I formated, restored and reloaded my OS, I changed a few personal settings and put my contacts back on, but that was it.
I have not put on my music or my pictures or any apps, not even opera mini. I will do this one at at time after at least one charge cycle to see if any of these are what has been draining my battery.

Also, do you guys know that Anna now switches on GPS when you use the camera?
Anna stores location information when you take a picture by default. This is not only storing location information on your pictures without you knowing it, but also is an extra drain on your battery!

You can turn this off by switching on the camera, going into options, settings and change save locations info to No.

I'll keep you updated to my battery life
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Well, that didn't help much.

I made about three 30 second phone calls and sent/received about 30 text messages throughout the day and it was completely dead by 11 Friday night.

At 4pm, it was showing 80% battery, by 7 it was showing 35% battery even though I hadn't actually used it since 4. At this point I put it on power saver mode. dead by 11!

I had a chat with a guy in the Car Phone Warehouse down by me and he said he has had a lot of people complaining of this and he believes that Nokia are working on a fix.

Are you Nokia? It would be nice if you told us that you were!
Please use plain text.
osark

This problem to me is not solved at all. Before anna 2/2 update I had everything switched off to maximize my battery life. widgets off line, only gsm mode on, wlan search off, email off, no secreen saver, everything you can imagine was off but battery monitor widget, and that way I could get 3+ sometimes 4 days before needing a charge. Now, after anna 2/2 and nokia maps 3.08 I cannot get 2 days with the same specs. the most draining feature seems to be the background on my case. as the battery monitor shows. now I have to thank nokia to haven't fixed this well reported bug, more than 3 months, after releasing the anna 2/2. but any way. they must be more concerned on moving people to the new windows OS phones. and good help us, as the world knows how capable microsoft is, of releasing bugged OS's.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Right. I'm now trying something a bit more evasive, details on what to follow depending on the results.

So far, unplugged from charging at 06:30 this morning and have used it quite heavily sending and receiving text messages all morning and quite a bit of internet use.
It is currently 15:04 and I'm still showing 100% battery remaining....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

Ok, that didnt work ether.

If your wondering what I did, I replaced my phones OS with a fresh install for a generic handset, thus changing the product code.
Still flat by 16:30!

Ok, a quick poll.

How old are your handsets and are you having trouble with them.

To start off:

mine is 13 months and Yes
My GF's phone is 2 months and No
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mikeyjames

Hi,

Both mine and wife's January 2011 - both have problem.

Still baffled as there seems to be times when ok. I've gotten rid of nokia battery monitor and downloaded a simple app (battery info) from ovi that tells you charge level and capacity. Wanted to take NBM out as a possible variable.

Anyway, a couple of days ago fully charged in car on way to work. Never touched the phone for a few hours as was in a meeting from 9am - 11am. Phone downloaded email every 5 minutes as per setting and a couple of missed calls. I then received one 2 minute call at about 11.30am and checked the battery & down to 60%.

Next day fully charged on way to work. Normal useage all day. At around 5.30pm battery still at 81%

Both days Battery info app told me 99.9% charge & 1210 (+/- 8) mAh when I arrived at work.

Really seems to be intermittent for me. All I can think is there is (are) some background service(s) / app (s) that sometimes don't switch off as they should. For me this seems to be intermittent, but when it happens the battery goes pretty quick.

Cheers

Mick

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

I tend to agree to a degree.

Sometimes I get 9 hours and sometimes 20 hours. But I used to get 3-4 days.

So intermitant, yes but for me always there to a degree.

I am wondering if newer phones dont suffer with this and older phones do. It is possible that Nokia have made a slight change to the hardware and anna only works correctly on newer phones.

Lets see if the results of my poll confirm this or not.
Please use plain text.
gazzrandall

I have fixed my n8 anna battery problem. I found that the nokia mail application has been causing this. It seems to cause the increased battery drain by continuously connecting (or trying to connect) to the mail server every day.  I did not delete the mail application but fixed it with the following -

1. Go to Settings

2. Select  Application Settings

3. Select @ Mail

4. Select your displayed email address

5. Select Auto-retrieval

6. Select Retrieval days

7. DESELECT or UNTICK the boxes for all the days.

8. Select OK

9. Exit Setup

So now I still have my @mail program working however it will only "check for new mail"

when I actually use it to connect to my gmail account.

I hope this helps as it seems to have fixed my n8 battery problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dalby69

I don't have a mailbox setup so that's not going to be my problem.

Still having battery drain since updating to Anna so today I bit the bullet and did a hard reset. Also formatted mass storage and the memory.

I'm going to leave it bog standard for a few days (not even going to put basic things like contacts on) and see how it goes.

This will either prove/disprove to me that some N8 models have a battery problem with Anna.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
electronomad

I too am having this issue after upgrading to Ann a couple of days ago. Battery only now lasts a about 5/6 hours.

Anyone found a fix for this yet?

I used to get 2/3 days out of my battery as I only makes a couple of calls a day and texting.

I use the phone for alarm clock and calandar reminders and as it's constantly going flat the alarm and reminders are not working. It's really inconvenient and annoying.

For those that think it's my app IT'S NOT.

The only thing that has changed on the phone is the Anna Update and everything was fine before the update.

Is there any way I can revert the OS to before the update. I think it's ridiculus to have to format everything and reset it. Thats just unacceptable.

I notice that with app stop the following is al ways running:

ALL WRT Widgets (Never have widgets to online mode and never have.)

LOG

CONTACTS

MESSENGING

CLOCK

QTAPPBOOSTER(Don't even know what this is)

CALANDAR

Should all these be continually running. If I kill them the battery life increases but no where near what it shouldbe.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

I'm never buying another nokia phone again. This phone has just been plagued with problems.

Cheers

EN 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DarrenCampbell

I don't think that Nokia is going to fix this issue with Anna, they have Belle waiting around the corner.

Some people have managed to get dodgy versions of Belle via the back door some how and have said it's a massive improvement over Anna.

Maybe we just have to wait until Belle comes out.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dalby69

"Maybe we just have to wait until Belle comes out. "

I've had enough and by that time I will have switched to another brand for the first time in my mobile phone history.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
cmdoshi24

My phone was working fine after the anna update, but recently there was another minor upgrade after which my phone battery has been acting weird, In one day it died in 6 hours, next day after 12 hours & the day after that in 1 day, I do have either wi-fi or gprs continuously on for some applications, but before with higher usage the battery would usually last atleast 1.5 day. Whenever the phone is taken to NSC, they format the phone & tell the problem has been dealt with, but no reason is given as to what the problem actually  is. 

Please use plain text.