Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Awesome features of Symbian^3 that will NEVER ...

Sage

Awesome features of Symbian^3 that will NEVER be available on WP7

[ Edited ]

Some people say the problems with WP7 are only temporary. Give Microsoft some time, they say, and Microsoft will fix the problems and add the features that are missing, like multitasking and other things I listed here:

/t5/Software-Updates/Excited-about-WP7-and-Nokia/m-p/925439#M85059

But there are some awesome things you can do with your Nokia Symbian^3 phone today that you will NEVER be able to do with your future Nokia WP7 phone. How do I know this? Because Microsoft has stated that their goal is to make WP7 "the most operator-friendly OS":

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/microsoft-ceo-positions-wp7-as-the-choice-for-operator...

In other words, Microsoft sees the netwok operators rather than consumers as their primary customers. Their goal is to lock up WP7 as much as possible to make sure you will be forced to pay a monthly fee to your network operator for many of the services that are now free on Symbian^3.

Say goodbye to:

1. Free tethering (wifi hotspot) using JoikuSpot. Be prepared to pay $25/month and up on your WP7 phone.

2. Free navigation and downloadable Ovi maps. Microsoft is not used to giving out anything for free. You will not be able to download Bing maps to your phone's memory, which means that you will be dependent on a constant cellular connection to see a map on you phone.

Unfortunately, cellular networks are typically overloaded or unavailable when you would need navigation the most, like during any kind of natural or man-made catastrophes, city-wide power outages, or when you simply wander away from the most densely populated areas.

3. Unlimited 3G data for $6/month. You will never, ever get this on a WP7 phone.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/5381/t-mobile-how-to-get-t-zones-web-unlimited-data-for-5-99-works-wi...

4. Free internet calls (voip, sip) over 3G.

Savings from #1 and #3 alone amount to about $600/year. You can't even measure the monetary value of #2.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

Re: Awesome features of Symbian^3 that will NEVER be available on WP7

Interesting specualtion and I for one am excited at whats round the corner !

But at the moment all we can all do is speculate.

The net is awash with rumour and conspiracy theories.
Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

kj55552009 wrote:

2. Free navigation and downloadable Ovi maps. Microsoft is not used to giving out anything for free. You will not be able to download Bing maps to your phone's memory, which means that you will be dependent on a constant cellular connection to see a map on you phone.

Pretty sure this one will be exclusive to Nokia phones, as it is now.

Please use plain text.
Sage

How about a little bet to make this interesting? If the first Nokia WP7 phone has all features #1-4 listed above, I will send you $100 by Paypal. To keep it fair, you will only have to send me $10 if I'm right.

Send me a private message if interested.

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

i just see one mobile blog about mobile 7 all ready for next update will have multitasking,copy and paste and many more
i guess nokia will give them a big improvement for the next mobile7.5
also some pics leaked with nokia and mobile 7
dont know if they are true but they look nice design
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

So far, nobody has contacted me saying that they are willing to bet with me on this.

How about this bet: If the first Nokia WP7 phone has ANY THREE of the four awesome features of Symbian^3 I listed above, I will send you $100. You will only have to send me $10 if the first Nokia-WP7 phone has fewer than three of the awesome features.

My only condition is that if no Nokia WP7 phones are released in 2011, the bet is off, and neither one of us will have to pay anything.

Any takers? I'd be happy to bet on this even with employees and affiliates of Nokia and Microsoft. How about you, Steve (Ballmer) and Stephen (Elop)?

kj55552009 wrote:

How about a little bet to make this interesting? If the first Nokia WP7 phone has all features #1-4 listed above, I will send you $100 by Paypal. To keep it fair, you will only have to send me $10 if I'm right.

Send me a private message if interested.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@kj55552009

I think the reason Nokia is teaming up with Microsoft is to get into the North America market. In North America a phone manufacturer needs to be tied to a network to be able to get decent sales. So I think this partnership with Microsft is all about Nokia getting into the NA market and Microsoft increasing it's market share in America. I think that when Nokia bring out a WP7 phone it will be first of all aimed fairly and squarely at North America and then later at other parts of the world.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

Hi Kj,

An old saying comes to mind....

a fool and his money are easily parted...... lol.

ie: I aint foolish enough to bet on what people say might be or might not be in this device, probably after delaying the release of it too to hunger the market place.

I can just see Steve Job's saying...... whatever !!
Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
@bazyeo: Yes, I see what you are saying. But I live in Noth America (Dallas, TX). To me, an unlocked Symbian^3 phone is currently by far the best deal and the best phone you can buy.

People in North America are not stupid. I guarantee that millions of people in North America would line up to pay $450 for an unlocked Nokia C7 or N8 TOMORROW if they knew what these phones can do (see my first post above). But people don't know that these phones even exist, because Nokia has been advertising them very little here.

Whatever little advertising Nokia has done in the U.S. has focused on the camera of the N8. Yes, it's a great camera, but there are other cell phones with great cameras too.

Nokia's mistake is that they have not been advertising the features that make Symbian^3 truly unique. For example, with a Symbian^3 phone, you get unlimited, free, downloadable navigation maps with free updates. This is an awesome, truly unique feature that should be advertised like crazy!

You can't get this with Android or iPhone, or any other phone. Nokia's ads do mention "free navigation", but that's not the same as downloadable maps. Nokia paid something like 8 billion dollars to buy Navteq so they would get access to the high quality map data and so they could offer downloadable maps, which they do now. But Nokia hasn't spent even one cent to to tell the consumers that Nokia phones have downloadable maps!

I doubt Nokia's new CEO Stephen Elop knows or understands that Nokia phones have downloadable maps. I don't think  there's a single person on Nokia's board who knows this and understands the awesomeness of downloadable maps. If they did, they would be advertising this feature and talking about it. And this is just ONE of the unique, awesome features of Symbian^3, none of which are being advertised to consumers in North America.  
Please use plain text.
Sage

Even if it were true that in North America it is only possible to sell phones through blood-sucking network operators, and therefore the phones have to be locked-up and deliberately crippled and require a plan that costs $100 per month, why is Nokia trying to bring that same lousy model to the 5 billion potential customers in the rest of the world?

Why flush Symbian^3 and Qt down the toilet just for the sake of the Noth American market? I don't get it.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

And if you live in North America and want a Symbian^3 phone with a replacable battery (is that too much to ask?), your only choice is to order a C7 from overseas, knowing that it won't have any Nokia warranty.

That's because for some boneheaded reason, Nokia is still not selling the C7 in North America. My C7 turned out to be from Hong Kong. It has some cra**y Hong Kong firmware that deliberately disables the phone's built-in FM transmitter.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
marnixmoed

kj55552009 wrote:

Unfortunately, cellular networks are typically overloaded or unavailable when you would need navigation the most, like during any kind of natural or man-made catastrophes, city-wide power outages, or when you simply wander away from the most densely populated areas.

I am afraid that the support for Ovi Maps (already changing to Nokia Maps), won't be available to Symbian phones. The new Nokia Maps version (4.0?) might only be available to the WP7 OS.

Symbian phones might still work with their already downloaded maps, but won't get the updates anymore. I have read some older Symbian phones with Ovi Maps 3.04 can't get 3.06 and thereby can't get the newest maps.

I think about buying an N8 for my father, since he likes navigation, but not with some dataplan. Still, I am having doubts because of the change to WP7 and the possible terminated support for Nokia Maps on Symbian^3.

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

kj55552009 wrote:

3. Unlimited 3G data for $6/month. You will never, ever get this on a WP7 phone.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/5381/t-mobile-how-to-get-t-zones-web-unlimited-data-for-5-99-works-wi...

I don't see the connection between WP7 and the choice of data plans available.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. Its only a problem on NA markets I think. I've been to my Operator, and they say that the internet costs they put on the phone inlcudes tethering, thus my unlimited internet includes tethering as well.

2. Nokia and Microsoft's deal has Nokia providing mapping data to WP7 phones, therefore WP7 phones would likely have some version of Ovi Maps, except that non Nokia phones wont get theirs free. Nokia already promised free navigation on ALL smartphones it released further on.

3.  How could this be affected by WP7? It has nothing to do with the phone OS.

4. Again, what does it have to do with OS?  I dont think operators would be against this since your still paying for your internet.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.