Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

BSNL 3G not working in nokia 5800 US version

ksmoses

BSNL 3G not working in nokia 5800 US version

hi,

i bought a nokia 5800 US version unlocked mobile handset 10 months back. now i am using indian BSNL 3G SIM in india. my mobile handset is not detecting the bsnl 3G signal. from bsnl people i understood that their technology is 3.5G HSDPA 2100. according to gsmarena the US version supports "HSDPA 850 / 1900". is there a way to make it work with the bsnl 3G network?

voice calls, SMS and web browsing working.

Video calls, MMS, TV, etc... not working.

my mobile set has firmware version 21.2.025 date: 18-04-2009
RM - 428
updating the firmware with indian version firmware, will it help in solving the problem?

thanks and regards,
moses.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Re: BSNL 3G not working in nokia 5800 US version

[ Edited ]

No, you can't make it work in 3G in India, its hardware related so firmware update won't work too.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

Its not anything like that! The 3G services in India are on hold due to security reasons. It will soon be resumed.

Please thank me by giving 'KUDOS' star. It will help me to serve you better.
Currently using N82 and 5230. Next would be N?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

[ Edited ]

I don't know from where the above poster got that information, let me say its utter non-sense, I wonder whether he resides in India. I am, right now, browsing this website using my BSNL 3G connection(as a modem) on my 5800. 

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

It came in TOI day before yesterday. Read paper daily!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Doesnt matter. US 3G frequencies run on different bandwidths than the rest of the world. A US version phone will work only on 850/1900 networks, however outside the US most countries run on the 900/2100 networks,meaningt the antenna on a US version is not the same as the antenna of an Indian version
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Home-ministry-tells-DoT-to-put-3G-on-hold... If this is what you are referring to then you should open your eyes and read that article fully and not just the heading. Out of my interest in which part of the world are you living? do you have any idea about the ongoing talks about the launch of 3G services by private players and one more thing spend some time in to whatever thing you are reading and atleast try to comprehend whats been conveyed there. There was no explicit statement by DoT to hold the services given by the existing players, currently only BSNL and MTNL(Mumbai). Of course I read paper daily.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

chanchan05 wrote:
Doesnt matter. US 3G frequencies run on different bandwidths than the rest of the world. A US version phone will work only on 850/1900 networks, however outside the US most countries run on the 900/2100 networks,meaningt the antenna on a US version is not the same as the antenna of an Indian version

Well said, this was even conveyed, rather briefly on my first post, to the poster. The reason blueheartz gave was really shocking to me. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

Anyways. It could be the hardware as YOU snd chanchan said. And lets not argue:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

[ Edited ]

@blueheartz.

Its ONLY because of hardware in that case, I wasn't arguing there instead made things clear to you. 

Have a good day.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
routema5ter

Wow. I did not know that there existed various kinds of frequencies for 3G services. Anyway, I am on the lucky side - my N79 supports HSDPA 2100 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
alexshew

In the US they also use UMTS 2100 with T-Mobile
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Yes, which basically means US released Nokia phones will not run on the T-Mobile 3G network for 2100.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.