Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle - A big step backwards.

nagato009

i dont understand people craving for all exaggerated negatives about belle, as far as i know and experienced, i enjoyed belle more than anna,.
Please use plain text.
nagato009

and the restart issue of my nokia anna has reduced in nokia belle, i find that problem before very alarming.but now, its not
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gnocchia

Nokia should concentrate its efforts in internals instead of user interface. Every new launch there is a newer bug (regression) on existent applications/functions. The most annoying Belle's problem to me is the lack of color accuracy between the actual picture taken and what the phone shows it is the picture. Anna hasn't such issue. Now pictures look noisier when seen in camera than they actually are.

Apart from it, Belle overall is a improvement, but these software regressions always added to new releases make us more frightened about Nokia updates.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Nokia belle is a significant improvement over Anna but at the same time I'd like to state on record that it could've be a lot better had not Nokia decided to chop off certain basic features that users were used to. Nokia belle is an upgradeable upgrade. One which cannot satisfy the user in its current form but still has the potential to do it.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Contributor
asm21m

Yes I agree the conference feature is not vanished completely and is available in the Menu.  But unlike Anna, for many features/options which were readily available on the UI directly through single touch/click options, we have to go through the menu option..The UI needs to be more user friendly..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
databird

Yes, point number 2 is correct. If you highly configured you phone with PR3 (Anna), you will lose all your settings and data. Nokia Suite in current form is incapable of performing a decent upgrade.
Nokia in USA since 1998 - lotta units flowed under this bridge! N8-00 now.
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Good to see you still here, my friend ...

Can't see how anyone can defend Nokia when an update requires hours of mucking about, just to get back to where you started.  How many years has Nokia been at it ...?  No wonder everyone is leaping off the burning ship - if there is anyone left to jump ... I have seen companies building in planned obsolescence to their products - this is the first time I've seen someone building in planned obsolescence to the company!

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gnocchia

I need to say something positive about Nokia despite all this mess with our phones. We are getting free software upgrades for 2 years, something that rarely happens on Android phones. Apple also provides long term support, but I'm glad Nokia use the same approach. 

I expect that Nokia will provide at least one state-of-the-art Symbian for N8 which doesn't bring any regression bug. N8 needs a happy ending. I think Belle is the Symbian's best-looking UI. Now Nokia should concentrate their efforts on internals (radio/wi-fi/bluetooth management, camera, color profiles, voip, advanced settings).

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

[ Edited ]

Not sure if anyone has noticed this here, so here goes. If you use your N8, other Belle mobile as a hotspot - i.e. you use JoikuSpot (you've installed it on your N8), <i>you now need to turn on the Wi-Fi in the pull down menu prior to starting JoikuSpot.</i> That's a minor change from Anna, where no action was required.

A few others: I think the native browser works better now, but I haven't looked at it thoroughly. One nice new addition is Mandarin character support, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, probably part of a wider Asian language support. You can try this out on the inbuilt dictionary, download the relevant dictionary from Nokia.com, or have a look at how beautifully the Sina Weibo native Symbian ^3 app works on Belle.

Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
jreivers1979

Am too scared to update to Belle after what i've read. Would do it if i could go back to anna. Can Anybody tell me if this is possible? Seems like not, or not easy.

Nokia N8 is still the best phone out there and I am bewildered why with every new phone Nokia keep going backwards. The tech savvy people out there want to use phones too, not just people satisfied with i-phone simplicity and restrictivness. The N8 had everything i wanted in a phone and more, and if these features matched with a stronger processor and smoother operating with a user friendly format like anna were put into a new phone, I would jump at it.

At this point i don't know which smartphone i would buy if my N8 was lost. Nothing seems as good, and nobody wants to make a phone packed full of the features that the N8 had.

Disheartened by the way things are going and can only hope someone out there, hopefully Nokia reads these types of comments and takes them on board giving us what we want.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

"and nobody wants to make a phone packed full of the features that the N8 had."

....so true. Not even Nokia. Maybe the team that did the N8 are no longer there. I have two N8 phones, one Anna and one Belle. The N8 Anna phone may be the highpoint of Nokia, when Nokia is remembered many years from now.

Suggestion - don't do an upgrade until/unless they find someone to fix the problems with Belle.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
youcef84

can i asq you nokia?
Just need tru answere about camera on n8
the qality of picture its not good all the sony ereksin i580 2mb is good then this 12 mp
can we see new updated for camera n8?
Pleas need good answer
i wait here all night to see ur answer
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dradel

[ Edited ]

quote Ranjanch:

"Hope this helps.

Try doing this setting :-

Go to Settings>connectivity>Admin. settings>Mobile data>access point> manually enter "internet".

I did this and keep my "wi-fi" data and "mobile data" "on". The phone now connects automatically on the basis on the Priority set in the  Settings>connectivity>Settings.

When the first priority( say a particular wi-fi connection) is not avaiable it goes on and select the next avaiable option. when the first priority is again avaiable, it reconnects again to the prioritised access point."

Thanks for this tip. However, on the Nokia 700 it needs to be "Internet" with a capital 'I" to work it would seem. I now connect automatically to my saved (i.e. "known" WLAN).

Thanks Ranjanch!

Please use plain text.
Sage

your batteries drains faster probably because you guys probably refreshes email every 30mins.
Please use plain text.
Sage

asm21m wrote:

Yes I agree the conference feature is not vanished completely and is available in the Menu.  But unlike Anna, for many features/options which were readily available on the UI directly through single touch/click options, we have to go through the menu option..The UI needs to be more user friendly..

asm21m funny you'd say that. You say the old UI was fine while the rest o/t world (actually the iPhone/Android focessed press and their friends) says it sucked.

I liked S^3 and I like Belle (FP1). Some things have changed not necesarrily for the better but that's due to Nokia trying to (finally) get (some) positive press. You can't blame them.

Also don't forget you are a hardened Symbian user but from a beginners pov Belle IS better than ANNA.

Please use plain text.
njhollinghurst

Manu_T wrote: Also don't forget you are a hardened Symbian user but from a beginners pov Belle IS better than ANNA.

Well, that's the thing! Existing users might seem a bit ungrateful for new features but they understandably get upset when existing ones are taken away. Permanently, and without warning.

My own grumbles are trivial -- I miss the Clock / Calendar / Profile widget (complete with day of the week), and the old version of the "beep beep" alarm clock music -- but I expect they're representative of all the kinds of things that people grumble about. How could Nokia not have realized, that removing widgets and ringtones and imposing a whole new UI style would annoy some users?

BTW I also have concerns about the Belle UI as a whole -- the way Maps retains hold of a data connection when it crashes, that the homepage background can appear briefly whilst navigating in the browser, or that the clock can show a completely wrong time for 0.5 seconds before it updates; makes me feel there's something inelegant about it -- but I don't expect that will ever be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
geertemo

Questions for the moderator.

I have read this entire topic and noticed that information about the rollback to Anna was removed by you every time.

1) Why is that?

2) Where càn we find the correct rollback procedure?

Several times the question popped up if apps are lost during the upgrade to Belle and - if so - how/where these apps can be retreived from again. Especialy the paid ones.

Sadly none of the times there is an answer to this question, not even from you.

1) Why is that?

2) Can you help with this issue?

Looking forward to your reaction.

Best regards,

Geert-Emo

Nokia user since 1992
Please use plain text.
michaelJasson

belle works when u get the hang of it, the battery life is putrid and warrants a recall of the phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stevenroberto

It is possible to roll back to Ana from Belle despite what they tell you at Nokia.

If you have not already "upgraded" to Belle, don't. I believe Belle exists solely to make you so unhappy you will eventually trade in for a yet to be procuded Windows phone. Belle is designed to destroy Symbian forever. Don't install it if you are happy with your Ana.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

geertemo wrote:

Questions for the moderator.

I have read this entire topic and noticed that information about the rollback to Anna was removed by you every time.

1) Why is that?

2) Where càn we find the correct rollback procedure?

Several times the question popped up if apps are lost during the upgrade to Belle and - if so - how/where these apps can be retreived from again. Especialy the paid ones.

Sadly none of the times there is an answer to this question, not even from you.

1) Why is that?

2) Can you help with this issue?

Looking forward to your reaction.

Best regards,

Geert-Emo

The rollback procedure cannot be discussed on the official Nokia forum because the procedure can void the warranty of the handset. Have a read of the forum guidlines for more information.

/t5/Discussions-Guidelines/Guidelines-read-these-first/td-p/1

Your apps can be re-downloaded from Nokia store (including the paid ones) providing they are compatible with Belle. There is a FAQ about this so have a read for more information.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-faq?intc=ncompromolp-fw-...

Ray. 

Please use plain text.