Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle - A big step backwards.

jreivers1979

Unfortunately i didn't heed your warning. As i have two N8 i thought i'd try upgrading one. Big mistake. To anyone thinking of "updating" to Belle, DO NOT UPGRADE. flv file and even avi files are not correctly playing, phone restarts frequently, and the list goes on. Some things to like but not when your functionality is lost!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

jreivers1979 wrote:

Unfortunately i didn't heed your warning. As i have two N8 i thought i'd try upgrading one. Big mistake. To anyone thinking of "updating" to Belle, DO NOT UPGRADE. flv file and even avi files are not correctly playing, phone restarts frequently, and the list goes on. Some things to like but not when your functionality is lost!

I think for the most part it's a matter of taste. I ended up upgrading my N8 to Belle and I'm very happy with the results. I've read many people comment that they are no longer able to play FLV or AVI but I'm still able to play both.

I will mention though that my N8 is a Virgin Mobile UK branded handset and they did initially reject the update and sent it back to Nokia. After a couple of weeks they finally approved it, so maybe whatever is broke in most other Belle N8's has been fixed in mine.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:

jreivers1979 wrote:

I think for the most part it's a matter of taste. I ended up upgrading my N8 to Belle and I'm very happy with the results. I've read many people comment that they are no longer able to play FLV or AVI but I'm still able to play both.

I will mention though that my N8 is a Virgin Mobile UK branded handset and they did initially reject the update and sent it back to Nokia. After a couple of weeks they finally approved it, so maybe whatever is broke in most other Belle N8's has been fixed in mine.

Ray. 

Just for info, my N8 is also on Virgin. And I've probably been vocal in criticism of Belle - largely based on the flaws or dumbing down either in Belle itself, or in other software (like maps) that Belle brings with it.

I've been happy with PR1.2 and Anna, though - perhaps PR1.2 was my preferred version.

As to Belle, had there not been so many issues with it, problems about compatibility and apps not working (I realise a lot has been fixed) it maybe wouldn't have seemed so bad for me, but I have the DAB headset and use DAB a lot (most days) - at least when Belle was first released, the DAB app was either broken or not available.

But the maps thing is a big thing for me. I was very happy with how 3.04 and 3.06 of maps worked - I use it most days, and prefer the way the traffic options can be configured. This has all been dumbed down and left unconfigurable in 3.08 onwards, and as Belle drags that with it, that's a show-stopper for me.

On the plus side, I'm perfectly happy with how Anna works, as does maps 3.06 on my N8.

A side note, really, my brother has an N8, too, he lives in China, and was previously on Anna, which it wouldn't seem to upgrade to Belle, despite the Nokia software saying it was available for his handset. When I was there a month or two back, he'd seen my N8 and was interested in geo-tagging for photos taken with the camera, so I switched that on for him.

He's since had to replace his N8 (think his other one was stolen) and it now has Belle on it. The camera app doesn't have the option for geo-tagging, now - he's in the UK at the moment, and asked me to look at it a few days back, and it's simply not there. It looks to be updated in terms of the camera app (I installed the beta version some time back) but the option to save location is not there on his - although it was on his previous N8 running Anna. Not sure whether that's a problem limited to some handsets in China, though.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Hi Jaff0,

The Geo-tagging feature is still there on my N8. It can be accessed by opening the camera, tapping the three white dots then selecting Settings > Save location info. It can also be accessed by Menu > Settings > Application settings > Camera > Image > Save location info.

If that's missing from your brothers phone then maybe it has been disabled on Chinese variant handsets. 

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:

Hi Jaff0,

The Geo-tagging feature is still there on my N8. It can be accessed by opening the camera, tapping the three white dots then selecting Settings > Save location info. It can also be accessed by Menu > Settings > Application settings > Camera > Image > Save location info.

If that's missing from your brothers phone then maybe it has been disabled on Chinese variant handsets. 

Ray. 

I think in this instance, it is something specific to handsets in China (he's in the UK at present).

He previous N8, whilst I was in China, would let me configure it - that was on Anna.

With his current one on Belle, he said he'd tried to but couldn't find it, so asked me to look - I couldn't find it either. He said he'd done some searching in forums, and other people had found the same with handsets in China.

Please use plain text.