Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle - A big step backwards.

Counsellor
esanker

Re: Belle - A big step backwards.

Regarding battery life.  My N8 when it was running Anna showed 0.37-0.40 W average power consumption after bootup using Nokia's Energy Profiler app.  

After updating to Belle, it shows 0.34-0.38 W average power consumption.

Below is a graph showing my N8's power consumption running Belle.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6854058891_1f1f7cd840.jpg

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Yes, the battery life should be the same when everything settles down. The phone needs to index everything after a firmware update - i.e. a 6GB collection of a thousand properly tagged MP3 files on the memory card does take a while, before the Search app has all the info it needs, and even then it'll need time and energy creating thumbs for both pictures and MP3 files (if tagged with album art).

I get an idle power consumption measurement at around 0.03W (~ 150 hours) on my N8 with Belle after the first 12 hours and a recharge.

And the 15MB file size download limit is gone in Belle! :smileytongue:

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

The battery life issue reported must be due to something else because my Nokia 700 runs for about 2 days - about the same as any other "smartphone". My Nokia E51 lasted 2 days too. I don't have automatic email checking enabled, etc. I like the 700 and like the user interface. With some caveats which I have already posted here - - no default BCC option on outgoing emails (a stupid omission on a mobile device) - no way to delete emails from POP server (as above) - most of the Symbian apps don't work, or don't work properly (e.g. using the touch screen triggers some menu options) - little or no new app development after about 2010 I wonder if Nokia will fix these issues before they drop Symbian totally. With a bit of luck the "Windoze adventure" will prove to be a failure so they will have to go back to what they have always been good at. The 700 is a superb phone.
Please use plain text.
Sincere007

Well I have installed belle ... I was excited ... but man big disappointment

ONLY HAVE THEMES ... NOT SINGLE IMPROVEMENT

NIMBUZZ calls but no END CALL button

FRING worked for first time...then it didnt open for second time

I dnt want to press hardware button ... oh God ... I want to get rid this nicely

big mistake this belle...looks like some child created it

big big creators and many months of work...came out with this

hate it ... find link to go back to anna

Please use plain text.
engineer2

Belle browser hanged twice after upgrade from Anna. Cannot "unhang"!!! Try everything, switching off ... eventually, remove battery and reboot. Email also hanged, but at least it self rebooted. Lost many apps after upgrade, and cannot find the list in Nokia store, totally no history of them. Anna was very good from PR 1.2. Big jump. Anna was very stablie. Belle hangs and remove battery to solve problem is a grave quality issue. Only good is off mobile data, wifi, Bluetooth and silent mode from pull down menu. Still no wifi direct and tethering in infrastructure mode. Hope Carla can save my c7. Else, it will be go into the store room or museum. Going to Android by June 2011 ..... if no solution.

One more thing, Nokia suite 3.3.86 huge problem with belle upgrade on windows 7 enterprise 64bit. Cannot sync contact, cannot see gallery as watcher folder. Photo download, but suite said error in transfering from phone to computer. Reinstalled windows 7 ent 64 , still same problem. Reinstalled suite hangs it more often and still cannot solve. Given up .... and if the next time Nokia release anything please, debug well. Huge productivity loss ... Nokia needs to prove your value. I have been using Nokia for 15 years and every phone with family is a Nokia. By June, no solution ... going to android. Thanks for noting, please try harder.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@ Engineer2

Just to clarify, the C7 won't ever get the next iteration of Nokia OS (formerly known as Symbian) because it doesn't have a 1GHz CPU amd only 256 MBytes of RAM. I'm surprised the mods haven't edited your post since they don't like people discussing products that have yet to be officially announced.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
njhollinghurst

Yes it's hard to describe it as an upgrade... The browser, maps and camera improvements are nice, but we already had those as 'beta', they're not really new.

As for the UI, it's a bit prettier but it's the thoughtless omissions that are most annoying! Why has the clock got bigger? Why does it no longer tell me the day of the week? Where is the 'show open applications' menu option, or the button to change homescreens without smearing the screen? Incongruous mix of light-on-dark and dark-on-light text (Anna was consistently light-on-dark). etc...

These are simple problems and I do hope Nokia might fix some of this stuff with an update or theme, but won't hold my breath. In the meantime, I'm also missing Anna.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AUTxRemoteC

It took my nearly half a day to re-configure my phone after the update. I can't remember to have nearly all applications uninstalled after the Anna update. Now I have re-downloaded and re-installed most of the applications BUT some applications I downloaded for free are now for charge and I don't see a possibility to get them back for free. That's really, really, really annoying!! Is there a way to get back e.g.. games I downloaded while there was this "Gifts from Nokia"-campaign?

Also not all of my downloaded applications are in the history in the Nokia Store, is there a possibility to have list of my previous installed applications from the backup file or something?

What does the "1" mean in the new header bar? I think it should imply something like "one new notification" but the only notification is the name of my mobile network.

Things I'm still missing but worked with Anna, maybe there is a hidden setting for this:

- Calendar widget that displays more than one entry.

- Tinier clock with date and day of week (like before)

- Bigger clock in lock-screen/screensaver (like before)

- possibility to see the battery charge percentage (like before when clicking on the battery icon)

- change the color of the e-mail widget, the blue header is ugly.

Another thing I discovered is "F-Secure" that comes with the update:

1.) How can I disable it to auto-start?

2.) It seems to be only a 30-day trial version - What sum was paid to Nokia to install a trial version with an update? If I want I trial version of a program I download it in the store ...

There are still some things I miss and I know that I'm not the only one:

- Deactivate the notification before an appointment default or make a dialogue in the settings for the default notification time. Everytime you need to change it from 15 minutes to off

- Sort the songs by album (and only album, not a own entry for every interpreter) like it was on S60 3rd.

- Continuous autofocus in video mode

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rohitindians

And another couple of issues ill like to share.

We can not change the volume with the touch screen. (when Video is playing).

The Music Widget doesnt take us to ''Now Playing'' but to the Music Library.

The Videos Gallery doesnt show the Reorded Videos. (You need to open  it from File Manager. or Photo Gallery)

When We Click on the Share button from the Gallery to share any Picture. It says 'Feature Not Supported''.

All the Recorded Videos and Pictures are saved in same folder. (DCIM\100NOKIA).

If screensaver is set to big clock, breathing light is not working.

No Option to make widgets go to offline mode.

And the last but not the least whenever we connect a USB Device it gives some kind of an error for sure but then works fine. really annoying.

PEN DRIVE - USB Device using alot of Power.

USB MOUSE -  Device Not Supported. Please Disconncet. (But then it works Fine. lol)

And None of the Above issues were there with Symbian Anna.

IS it just me or others are having these issues too Please Confirm Once.

AND MY DISLIKES:

The email and music player widgets are so big that they all alone take a whole homescreen.

And We did not get all the Widgets that was said to be coming with the mghty *Nokia Belle*.

And Personally i dont like the Big Widgets and Big Icons in Menu. And the Idea of Not supporting ''Folder inside a Folder''.

The Music Player has such a big Album Cover and buttons. (Anna's Design was better).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rohitindians

And The Video Player Doesnt Play any FLV videos above 35MBs.!

With Symbian Anna i played FLV of 80MB without any prob.!

Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

I use 3g and one Wifi. In the settings WiFi is 1st priority and when it is in range N8 get connected to it automatically. Could not understand what is the problem... But you have to keep you Wifi and 3G on - don't switch off manually.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ranjanch

Hope this helps.

Try doing this setting :-

Go to Settings>connectivity>Admin. settings>Mobile data>access point> manually enter "internet".

I did this and keep my "wi-fi" data and "mobile data" "on". The phone now connects automatically on the basis on the Priority set in the  Settings>connectivity>Settings.

When the first priority( say a particular wi-fi connection) is not avaiable it goes on and select the next avaiable option. when the first priority is again avaiable, it reconnects again to the prioritised access point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Anna, connection settings were easier. When on the road, my 3G connection was      automatically selected and whenever I was within range of a known WiFi connection,      that connection was automatically selected. With Belle I have to set the internet      connection to ask what connection I want. The only other option is to hardcode either      3G or a specific WiFi network. If that selected connection is not available, the connection fails. So now when I access the internet I first have to select the desired      accesspoint. How's that an improvement?

If you like the above or it solves the problem, do not forget to click on the star/Kudos :-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lolopd

I agree with most peoples views of the new Belle OS.

My main objections are the loss of the smaller clock (now it's some huge ugly monster...I've actually removed it from my home page because it was SO ugly) and the absolutely horrible blue email header. I've had to give this it's own home page because it's so big and childish!

In my opinion we've lost a professional, functional system, and replaced it with something which looks like it was designed for 6 year old children in mind.

Please can somebody come up with a sensible clock and email widget......PLEASE!

......also having to press and hold down the menu button to close background programs is just plain stupid. Which maniac thought of that one?

Please use plain text.
KimbaDWL

I can agree on the most points mentioned before.

Another "bug" for me is, that  I can´t sent photos via mail from the gallery any more.

In Anna I opend the gallery and used "send as" to create an email with an unaltered picture.

Now in Belle I only get the MMS-Option witch of course rezises the picture.

My e-mail account ist properly set and working.

When trying this I realized another anoying thing:

When I try to cancel this (or any other) newly created message it is ALWAYS stored in

drafts (or conceptions? or whatever the right english word is). The option to delete it right on the spot when canceling (like in Anna) is gone.

By the way:

Did you noticed the solution for the WiFi-Problem here in the forum?

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Nokia-N8-Belle-question-about-WI-FI/m-p/1309423#M286421

Greetings

KimbaDWL

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vgmimi

Belle is ruined my phone. really. NOKIA  you have considered upgrading to anna. becasue belle is a  a completly sh=it,  I am think when I come back to Mexico I will sell my N8 and buy maybe the droid global or Iphon. really I have see this works and it worth. Nokia camera is wonderful but the upgrades is sooo bored. :smileymad: I am so angry :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

KimbaDWL wrote:

Another "bug" for me is, that  I can´t sent photos via mail from the gallery any more.

In Anna I opend the gallery and used "send as" to create an email with an unaltered picture.

That works here, with the options of mail, bluetooth or message, as in Anna.

When I try to cancel this (or any other) newly created message it is ALWAYS stored in

drafts (or conceptions? or whatever the right english word is). The option to delete it right on the spot when canceling (like in Anna) is gone.

I can confirm this nasty one. On exit there is the option "save to draft" so I naturally assumed it would delete per default, but no ... You just helped me free up several MB of C: drive space after the last few days of testing Belle!

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

The main problem with the wi-fi toggle in Belle is that it's two-way (off, on with scanning) instead of three-way as in Anna (off, on without scanning, on with scanning). So if you turn it on to be able to connect to wi-fi, either automatically or with the destinations list, you hammer the battery.

I'm not sure why it was necessary to force scanning unless it was just for the new wi-fi widget, in which case scanning should only be on while the new wi-fi widget is on the screen and the screen is unlocked. So those of us who want on without scanning as in Anna have to toggle the wi-fi widget, which means that there isn't much sense in having the destinations list now.

The mobile data widget is kind of a step foward but kind of a step back, there's no 'off when roaming abroad' option any more, it has to be done manually and (I think) it kills MMS too. On the other hand toggling it does kill all the connections quickly.

On to something else... the calendar widget should hold more than just the next appointment. Once inside the calendar app your pending to-do notes are also not highlighted as they were in Anna.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

That huge clock widget can do with some slimming hey.... Also, please incorporate ALL the notifications we had on Anna on the New notifications bar, especially the Battery Level one, the only time I see it is when I switch off the phone. Plus I miss switching widgets to Offline mode, let's me control what applications stay connected in the background.... Now if mobile data is off, nothing works....

I'd love to see the "Show Open Applications" line item when tapping on the three bars...

Overall, Thanks for Belle Nokia!

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PeteGl

A big step backwards.

I've also lost my bookmarks to web sites, and cannot see how to renew them!?!

Pete

Please use plain text.
lordgabazo

I'm totally agree with you in all steps.. Every day I discover another failure in this OS. At same like u I love my N8 so much, but this things we have to say. I hope anybody inside Nokia listen to us! After an upgrade to the last version of social I can't share my photos anymore! In another post they said they're working on a fix soon. Music player continues with a lot of bugs on music library. I loved symbian^3 more than Anna, I didn't like Anna so much, but I have to admit this was much better than Belle. My only wish is all this bugs (and all the ones that we don't know about them yet) will be solved on next Belle firmware upgrades, and more support for those apps we loved.
Please use plain text.