Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle FP2 T9/Alphanumeric keyboard MUCH worse than...

AlexKerr

Belle FP2 T9/Alphanumeric keyboard MUCH worse than before

[ Edited ]

I'm finding the design of the T9/Alphanumeric keyboard in Belle FP2 (on my 808) MUCH worse than the old keyboard.

Contrary to popular belief, LOTS of people use the T9/Alphanumeric keyboard, and find it the fastest and easiest way to type. While I like FP2 generally, and appreciate the changes to the keyboard improve the experience for portrait or landscape Qwerty, for the T9/Alphanumeric, they have unfortunately made it considerably slower and more difficult, irritating and frustrating to use.

1.) The worst thing is that rather than being able to tap the bottom left number key to get alternative words for the key sequence you've pressed, you now get the list of words to choose along the top of the keyboard. This is actually MUCH slower and more frustrating than simply repeatedly tapping the bottom left key to get to the word you want.

2.) Everything you type has a space automatically put after it. For normal words this is fine, but for anything else like mixed number and letter sequences, certain punctuation (e.g. putting a dash - between things) and various other things, it's really annyoing having to manually delete the space.

3.) If you want to capitalise a word in the course of a typing a message, e.g. a person's name, you hit the shift/uppercase key and it is ignored every single time as the keyboard does immediately go uppercase, but then immediately goes lower case again before you've had the change to type the initial first letter of the name (etc).

4.) The arrow keys that only appear some of the time make the above problems even worse when you need to correct the above problems, because unless you tap on the text you've already written, the arrow keys to move the cursor don't appear, and sometimes the arrow keys then disappear again. This often then leaves you with the cursor in the wrong place and the only way to put it into the right place is to tap on EXACTLY the right place on the text you've written to position the cursor.

5.) Selecting punctuation is terrible, you can't just cycle through punctuation like you used to.

6.) The old keyboard recognised words with apostrophes, like you've, you're, I'm etc. The new one does not, and the above problems with selecting words, and positioning the cursor mean that you're left with something like "I.Ve" on the screen instead of "I've" and there are then no arrow keys to correct it.

7.) You used to be able to actually see the punctuation that made up smileys, e.g. you'd see ": )" (space between so punction remains here, but I mean just colon followed by right bracket) before it turned into the smiley graphic. Now you can't so you're not sure if you've typed the right thing, and recipients might get the wrong one because most people type these by using the characters not the graphic (trust me this happens).

8.) The way of selecting special characters and punctuation is really annoying being split across 3 screens rather than one like before - slower and more irritating.

Note that the old T9 predictive keyboard is still there in the OS, e.g. the Google Maps Symbian app running on FP2 still has the old keyboard - such a relief!

ALL the above problems can be solved quickly and easily by Nokia simply adding in an option in the Phone Language settings to use the old T9 predictive keyboard instead of the new one.

Please fix this ASAP Nokia!

(especially no excuse as FP2 is currently withdrawn for fixes - please make this one of them!)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
doctran

Re: Belle FP2 T9/Alphanumeric keyboard MUCH worse than before

An option to turn off the new keyboards would be nice.

Please use plain text.
AlexKerr

Just to add a 9th reason:

9.) You can't type anything in predictive mode on the Alphanumeric keypad with CAPS LOCK - believe it or not, the dictionary doesn't support capitalised words, and you actually have to add them manually! And these were not unusual words I've tried adding, e.g. they were 'HUT' and 'KEY'.

Nokia need to REALLY give the option to have the old T9/Alphanumeric keyboard back, it was much quicker, easier, and more intelligent.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Memotis

Couldn't agree any more - i've found these small changes immensely frustrating
Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's frustrated by this. Their new predictive text only works well with the qwerty keyboard. It is horrible for anyone who wants to use T9. Very slow and frustrating to use. I also think they should remove it or add an option to revert back to the old T9.
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

doctran wrote:

Fully agree, dear Nokia please!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

fingers are crossed that this is one of the things that will be fixed when they bring the fp2 update back.
Please use plain text.
KF808

[ Edited ]

Quote Banlec

doctran wrote:

Fully agree, dear Nokia please!!!

This already exists!

Just not that commonly known:

Go to Settings-Phone-Language

press the input language setting, and you will have the options to choose the old keyboard style or querty. T9 off or on

Too bad Nokia does not inform about this!

//Kenneth

edit: quote was missing

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
magesh16

yes need the old T9 keyboard back.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rgulecha

t9 !!

omg !!!!

Am frm India and i updated my phone today ie 11th October 2012 on nokia 701 with belle fp2

am going crazy !!!

it was a hard task to get back to alphanumeric 

and now my t9 is gone !!! **bleep** !!! i hate the new suggestion thing...i just want my old t9 back....pls pls !!

am literally begging u nokia..i cant stand the new thing..!! pls pls pls pls !!

cant even use a smiley..!! this is so so so pathetic..while everything rocks on fp2 bt this t9 option has killed the whole upgrade for me..i feel handicapped..i feel like goin back to my nokia 5800 :smileysad: pls release a fix...!! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jrpajares

i AGREE!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jrpajares

and pls. bring back the renaming settings in photos and exit button on camera. pls NOKIA.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
janseman1

This already exists!

Just not that commonly known:

Go to Settings-Phone-Language

press the input language setting, and you will have the options to choose the old keyboard style or querty. T9 off or on

Too bad Nokia does not inform about this!

//Kenneth

edit: quote was missing

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

janseman The new T9 is nothing like the old one. What you're directing us to is exactly what is being complained about here.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@jrpajares

You can exit the camera by simply pressing the phone hang up button (red button)
If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
AlexKerr

To add a 10th reason to my list:

10.) The new T9 keyboard is slow and misses keypresses and doesn't respond fast enough, mainly in predictive mode (which is where the real power of T9 comes in). This makes it even more frustrating to use as you think you've hit a key (especially as the keys are large) and it ignores it.

Would appreciate someone from Nokia actually responding to this please, text input is pretty fundamental for phones...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pjw724

[ Edited ]

The new  T9 keypad and deficiencies of the portrait qwerty are reason enough for me to stick with FP1 on my 701.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

To change text entry for the worse in this way is totally unacceptable. The camera and the fact I didn't have to suffer qwerty were the main reasons for choosing the 808. Nokia need to accept they have made a big mistake here and return T9 to a useful state asap. Without this confirmation I really don't think I can keep this phone. Quite what I can use since the world has blindly embraced the shockingly slow and inaccurate (iPhone android windows phone) I don't know.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fantomas

the best T9 i have used yet was in E52 - two languages, and possibility to go to another word and continue T9 editing (he you make mistake, you can fix it instead of need to delete it and start again). This is what I would like to see here. I stay with fp1
Please use plain text.
Nik_Ind

Count me in!!! I don't mean to be harsh but believe me you, right now I would seriously want to go back to FP1!! I liked it much better. the increase in performance is almost too hard to notice nor do I care about the slide-to-unlock feature. In my honest opinion, in the race to march ahead and save its ground, Nokia is actually forgetting the simplicities in software that Nokia was always known for in the first place!!! The FP2 has to be the worst firmware update ever:thumbdown:.

Please use plain text.