Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Best Symbian RSS Reader? (For Nokia E72 in particu...

Sage

Best Symbian RSS Reader? (For Nokia E72 in particular)

Can anyone suggest a good RSS reader for the E72?

I have tried several so far (including Handy RSS and Resco News) but none is fully ok. Either they lack some features (like OPML import or timed updates) or have poor usability.

Resco News would be acceptable but it appears to crash a lot on my E72. When updating it just exits, as if the process is killed.The app hasn't been updated in over a year or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

yurasicus

Re: Best Symbian RSS Reader? (For Nokia E72 in particular)

[ Edited ]
I still using Resco News. Yes, it almost always fails and closes if you trying to update all channels, eveven if one channel. On my previous phone it also failed. But I really don't know any similar programs.. I use resco. There are two hints (it works for me): 1. Before update all channels open any channel and read one of news. 2. Holding "down" button while updating channels prevents closing of application (for me).
Sage

I tried your tricks but it doesn't seem to make a difference in mine,,, it still crashes a lot. I thought it was due to the E72s low memory problem but maybe it fails parsing some sites... in any case Resco seems to have abandoned it.

Sage
tanz1987

The S60 browser has a built-in RSS viewer, with an auto-update function. I won't comment much on it, though.
Counsellor

*I* can comment on the built-in S60 RSS Reader, like I'm unable to start it since after 1 week I bought my 5800 because of an "unknown error".

I just got GreenPack Tech's Tech RSS Mobile News Reader from the OVI store http://store.ovi.com/content/20601: it misses many features, like categories, update all, etc., but it's lightning fast and has an option to import subscriptions in OPML format from a URL. For 1 euro, I could not ask more.

I also instralled the trial version of Epocware's Handy RSS, but it crashes as soon as I try to access the program. Maybe it tries to access the settings of the built-in S60 RSS Reader and bumps into the same "unknown error".

OVI store also offers i2technologia's CatchUp for free. It has a quirky UI. Also, it finds RSS feeds starting from a domain name URL. That's incredibly handy, but I am having a hard time figuring out how results (which have often the title of one post, like "company XXX announces new device YYY") are matched to feeds.