Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Bluetooth keyboard with Nokia 700?

Counsellor
better_belle
Accepted Solution

Bluetooth keyboard with Nokia 700?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Is the Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W (Bluetooth 1.1) compatible with my Nokia 700 (Bluetooth 3.0) handset running Symbian Belle? It is not listed under the supported devices of the keyboard, however I believe that it should function without problem since I have seen people use it with iPhone 4 and iPad. 

Keyboard:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-wireless-keyboard-su-8w

Thanks in advance,

better_belle 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Re: Bluetooth keyboard with Nokia 700?

I spoke with a Nokia Customer Care person through Live Chat and he said that there was no official support of the keyboard and he could not assure that the device would work without problem.

However, to my understanding, Nokia 700 is a smartphone that should have capabilities to use a simple Bluetooth keyboard. I do not have any products to test with and would like to confirm compatibility before I make a purchase of any item.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ngwangwa

Try installing the Belle Feature Pack 1 update. It is available and maybe it may solve your issues.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Thank you for your response.
However I must stress that I have not run into any issues since I have not yet purchased the device to try.

I was asking for further clarification for the compatibility with Bluetooth keyboards for my Nokia 700 device.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@better_belle

Can confirm no issues using SU-8W with N8 running Belle, apart from typing "z" which is better result than Anna which couldn't type "y" which was very useful with my username!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Thank you for your response.

However, the Nokia N8 is listed under the compatible handsets of the SU-8W keyboard. The Nokia 700 on the other hand is not.

Did you require any installation of extra software or programmes on your N8 hanset in order to use the keyboard? And surely if you cannot type "z" it is a serious flaw?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

better_belle wrote:

However, the Nokia N8 is listed under the compatible handsets of the SU-8W keyboard. The Nokia 700 on the other hand is not.

Did you require any installation of extra software or programmes on your N8 hanset in order to use the keyboard? And surely if you cannot type "z" it is a serious flaw?

Since SU-8W no longer marketed doubt that they will ever upgrade compatibility page, no need to install "wireless keyboard .sis" drivers upon Symbian S^3 devices.

For typing in English (UK) lack of "z" not that serious as one of least common letters whereas used more in English (US), but I can always use Apple Bluetooth keyboard if situation arises!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

So this leads me to wonder, does the apple wireless keyboard work without problem?

I just need a keyboard to use when typing lengthy sms messages at home, since I find the qwerty keyboard somewhat a pain in the hands.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Another different question, can I use a standard USB keyboard or even USB OTG via a USB Host cable connected to my phone? Many similarly priced Android handsets have this capability.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

better_belle wrote:
Can I use USB OTG via a USB Host cable connected to my phone? 

You should be able to use OTG feature although need keyboard with low current consumption below 100mA and no additional ports, however have been some reports of more USB OTG issues upon Belle than with Anna.

Have just tried Apple Bluetooth keyboard which took several attempts to pair and authorise but functioning perfectly with N8 Belle after choosing desired keyboard from selection available.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Thank you for such detailed input in this thread! :smileyhappy:

I guess I will have to test it out myself and see what happens. That's one of the problems you get when you don't have a mainstream product like the iPhone or the Samsung Galax II.

I hope that this thread will come of use to others.

Signing out,
better_belle
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

Big news! I just got the Nokia SU 8W and it paired without any problems, detected on first go. Also, all of the keys are functioning. Even the shortcut keys such as the messaging shortcut, the home key shortcut, the left and right and select hotkey.

It's slightly annoying that there isn't a number row, but then again Nokia did a great job at creating such a compact keyboard. It feels great to type on. Slightly cheap...and slightly flimsy, but it is a hinged product after all.

YAY :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.