Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data (hspa)

Counsellor
dj24

@ Craig_Mitchell:

Iam writing this from the perspective of a user located in the U.S.  First off Iam very disappointed that the same issues we've been having in the States which manifests itself in a different way hasn't been acknowledged by Nokia to this point. To explain- I'll quote myself from one of my older posts to give you an idea of how much of a serious problem we've been facing for a while now.

'This is my second 808.  It also loses its cellular and data connection whenever you get into areas of weak reception even though the screen shows 4 or 5 bars at the time.  When I try placing a call- dead silence.  Same with SMS and Internet access.  The first time I encountered this issue was when a friend was coming over to pick me up and he couldn't get through to let me know that he'd arrived.  Slightly embarrassing to say the least.  I was able to get the connection working again after a reboot and never thought much of it until it happened again a couple of days later somewhere else and has periodically continued to do so now almost every other day. This is quite frustrating.  I have a brand new microsim that worked perfectly on my first 808 so I know that is not the issue.  Turning my phone off and turning it back on fixes it every time but this has put me in a paranoid state of mind where I now constantly place test calls just to see that the connection is still there.  It is so deceptive as everything shows normal on the screen even when it has no connection.  Needless to say I have missed important calls and messages with everything coming through after every reboot.'

As you can see this is not just a matter of the screen turning black or the phone constantly rebooting.  I would take those any day of the week compared to losing your network connection several times a day without knowing it's happening. 

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Nokia-808-PureView-loses-cellular-an...

The above thread talks about this issue which should have been joined with this one because we all know it's the same problem everyone is having.  It truly is very sad that neither you or anyone official has bothered to post there not once to help/ acknowledge what we've been facing.  Most of the posts have been exemplary with owners trying to help each other out in this no man's land.  All the recent reviews posted on Amazon U.S.A have been negative in regards and because of this issue.  How long is Nokia going to continue to ignore its U.S users when their smartphone can't even be trusted to make/ receive basic phone calls?  What are we to do that since the last time I checked- there are no Nokia Care Centers here in the U.S?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jondotcom

I too am in the U.S.

I called the Nokia USA Care line (1-888-665-4228) and used option 3 to talk with the hardware support department.

They checked my IMEI (I bought off of Amazon) and stepped me through the warranty check and to print a prepaid label (http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/troubleshooting/warranty-check/)

I am fortunate in that I have another device I can use while I ship in my 808, though if indeed this is a hardware issue it seems it is our only option to send it in (in the U.S. at least).

My guess is, Craig_Mitchell is only authorized to say so much about the source of the problem here. I don't think pushing any further will get us more information, as if in fact the issues is a hardware one then the only thing we can do is bring it in (or ship it to) Nokia to fix. The end result is the same, whether or not he's confirming the source of the problem in this forum.

Sometimes corporations have to get political as it relates to these types of issues. It's unfortunate that they won't/can't come out and say exactly what the problem is, but sometimes that's just the nature of these kinds of things.

I will report back when I receive my 808 and advise if my experiences reflect that of our Ukranian friend.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

I too called Nokia (USA) today and received all the paperwork to ship it for repair. Will send it tomorrow and report on the result in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile will be using my veteran N82. What a phone that was! Those were probably the best days of Symbian and Nokia. I even remember Bill Gates sitting on the stage with N82 in his hand. When people in the office around me started to get iPhones, they were truly amazed by how far ahead this phone was in any respect - multitasking, camera, external memory card, etc. I printed some pictures and displayed them in my cubicle, no one believed they were made with a camera phone. I could even create a complete image of the OS with the backup feature (not possible today), and restore it if things went wrong after a new install or something... Good times, good times...

Sorry, a little off topic. BTW, I left a review on Amazon and gave 808 1 star. If the phone is fixed, I will gladly change it to 5 stars. The phone is worth it!.. But only if it works as a phone too, not just the camera. And I also bought the phone first day (don't remember the date now) when it was available on Amazon, here in US. So I may be one of those unfortunate early adopters

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

I wonder if they will just swap the boards or just replace the phones... 

As far as a total recall (not the movie..:Cool:) here in the US.. that would be really nice but I don't think Nokia wants the negative press, which from our perpspective might be postive, but most people will percieve it as negative. Just imagine the engadget headline... 

It made allaboutsymbian which is good news: 

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/16255_Nokia_808_35G_connection_issue.php

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wetter

Wow! Wow!~ & more Wow!! Nokia, you are really really amazing (???)!!!

What the *****!!

I have been using my nokia 808 since august & just like other users, my device always hang (the screen turns black but the menu buttons remain lit). So what I always did at first was remove the battery which results into the battery cover becoming a little loose, until I learned from some sites that it is possible to restart the phone by holding the lock switch & the power button for around 8 seconds until the device vibrates.

Actually it’s my second 808 phone. The first unit I bought was a defective one – aside from having a purple screen, the phone glass has a crack on the upper right corner. I just noticed the crack when I got home. So I brought the phone back to the store, but the store told me that I have to bring the phone to Nokia Care & have them inspected the unit I bought. Eventhough I was so frustrated that time, I went to NCC because I had no choice. Then NCC inspected it, gave me report & asked me to go back to the store for phone replacement. So I got a replacement. I checked the phone for possible defect before I left the store. I was very happy that the phone has no crack on the glass; neither it has the purple screen defect.

Then the worst scenario comes.. the phone always hang (read: hang, not restart) whenever I am browsing the net or installing apps from nokia store. I thought it was just a software problem & was hoping the same could be fixed when fp2 arrives. Here comes the release of belle fp2, I updated my phone, but still I always encounter the same problem. It made me more frustrated & disappointed.

Now, upon reading this forum... I can say… I regret buying this phone.

What??? Nokia is suggesting bringing the phone to NCC to check & replace the chip? Wow! Again I have to go to NCC??? I spent a lot of money before for taxi when I went to & back from the store & NCC for my 1st phone replacement, since my home is too far from both of them!

So now I have to spend & waste more money again?? It is so hard to earn money!! Then I will just waste it because of the faulty chip nokia used?

What if the NCC technician said that my phone has no problem? Or what if the phone has lot of scratches when they return back to me?

I wonder what nokia QA/QC team are doing.

I AM FRUSTRATED. I AM DISAPPOINTED. I REGRET BUYING THIS PHONE.

Thank you nokia for selling a defective phone. Thank you that I wasted & will again waste lot of money because of my decision to buy your phone.

Congratulate your QA/QC team for a job well done (!!!)..

SIGH… I WOULD NEVER BUY A NOKIA PHONE AGAIN..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

Some thoughts from me on what has been said above:

It think that every single iPhone that came out had some sort of bug.  Despite all attempts by Apple to the contrary, these bugs were always discussed openly on the Internet, on blogs and ultimately made it into mainstream media. However this did not stop the iPhone's success. Actually the media writing about a bug in a device will bring attention to that very device.

Not admitting a bug in a device will scare-off users with a technical mindest and early-adopters. This is disastrous because it is the early adopters and techno freaks that contribute a lot to public awareness and have an above-average influence on public opinion.

Use me as an example. I got a Pureview 808 in Ukraine on day 1 of its availability right before the Euro 2012 soccer championship, before it was available in Germany (my home country, I live in Ukraine, but I am Geman so I represent a relevant market <g>) and was going to start a blog bragging about the camera quality and posting shots from inside the football stadium (I still have them and they are amazing!). I signed up on Flickr and started feeding my freinds and family with photos from my life in "absurdistan" Ukraine etc. Some of my friends got really jealous of the photo quality and started thinking about getting this phone as a replacement for theirs. However the more I became aware of the Wi-Fi and 3G bugs the more I gut frustrated. Just recently a friend of mine asked me whether I trashed my phone because he did not see any Flickr updates from me for a while, and my answer was, "you know, the camera works great, but everytime I take the phone in my hands there are so many other things that frustrate me that I have largely stopped posting to Flickr form my phone." This is the message that my friend will remember, not the camera quality. And this is what is killing Nokia. I remember the same was true for the 5800 as well - there was the speaker bug, which was treated nicely by Nokia, but there also was the GPS bug that only got fixed in Firmware v50 or so and effectively stopped me from bragging about the free Nokia Maps feature because GPS was too buggy for it to be of any serious use.

It's a pity. Nokia has excellent technology and their build quality is superb. Standard phones by Nokia are by far more rugged than "rugged" devices of any other make. It is always small things that are buggy, but these small things are killing the user experience.

Now, not admitting a bug makes sense when the bug only affects a small number of devices. Then you can deal with the affected customers silently. However, the story from the guy who RMA'ed to Amazon 6 times suggests that it is a large share of devices that are affected, so Nokia IMO would be better-off admitting the bug.

Admittedly Nokia has posted that link on their support web site, so in a sense, they are admitting there is a bug. Everyone who is affected can now print out that site and visit a NCC or mail their phone to a NCC if none is nearby. This part is being handled nicely by Nokia.

However, it surely would be a good move to be open about the exact reason of the bug here on the forum. As I said, I don't even think that a headline like "808 monster camera phone affected by PCB issue. Nokia offering free fix via Care Point Network worldwide" would do any harm to Nokia or the 808 in particular. To the contrary. It would show the company is commited to this phone and would be a reminder of the fascinating and advanced technology that it has on offer.

But probably Nokia does not even want that kind of awareness. Recently, another friend who saw me taking photos and heard my explanation that my phone's got an extralarge 41 megapixel sensor replied: "That's a Windows phone, right?". Obviously, Nokias PR has been very efficient in doing what its CEO wants it to do ...

But let's not blame Craig. He has been very helpful.

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
NBinah

[ Edited ]

We did it, our negative reviews.Thank you All! Amazon USA put 808 under review:

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Also, thanks to tf_translate for the details. I came to US from Ukraine 11 years ago and know tech mentality of their care points well :}

I agree "Obviously, Nokias PR has been very efficient in doing what its CEO wants it to do ..." When I showed to my iphone-lovers co-workers the n8's features (also, had 808 for a week), they asked "Was this a new of WP phones?".. Well done... No comments!

Do not have any bad against WP, as I am .NET developer and think start to develop for WP. But I love the unique features of Symbian, QT platform! Hope WP will grow to the level sometime when it will work well with GPU (func with huge photo sensors) and many others that missed in WP like Symbian does.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

I think those guys, who sent their phones directly to Amazon, helped even more than the reviews...I only hope Nokia can fix it now. My phone is on its way to their repair center.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

gvp1995 wrote:

I think those guys, who sent their phones directly to Amazon, helped even more than the reviews...I only hope Nokia can fix it now. My phone is on its way to their repair center.

Looks like my sixth 808 will be going back… maybe Amazon will find out from Nokia when they'll start shipping properly functioning devices.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

Sixth?! Surely you are joking! If not, could you please tell us your story? I don't want to send my phone 6 times...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
pikolog

I have a nokia n8 US version. And I have exactly the same problem. I called the customer service the other day and they told me to try reinstalling the OS. If I configure 3G only or EDGE it runs just fine . But somehow 3G is not as fast as EDGE on T-mobile at bay area. 150-200kbps using EDGE, half of that using 3G. 3.5G is ofcourse much faster upto 500kbps. I'll update after reinstalling belle. But I don't know how it's different than just hard reset.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

gvp1995 wrote:
Sixth?! Surely you are joking! If not, could you please tell us your story? I don't want to send my phone 6 times...

Unfortunately not joking.  But I meant that this will be the sixth one I return to Amazon, not that I've sent the phone to Nokia to be repaired six times.  In fact, I haven't sent any of them to Nokia.  I'd rather just have a device that works out of the box.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
NBinah

[ Edited ]

pikolog, mine n8 hangs too bur very rarely. I have reported here. When it hangs, no calls, sms, web can be performed.. same behavior like with 808. I know even locations in my town when it is happen. The phone should not react like this even if reception is bad..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
captoris

Not only is Amazon, i bought the shopping center EURONICS in Italy, same problem, in 3g is turned off, to navigate i have thus allowing you GSM. Bug FP1 and FP2. PLEASE NOKIA TO SOLVE PROBLEM ..... 808 Purview ( € 600 )

Please use plain text.
Contributor
illl

* On September 1. I sent my faulty (as discussed here) Nokia 808 to a Nokia Care Point for repair. When I got it back a week later, only the phone was in the parcel, but not the battery, that I had sent too. I had to write several times to the Care Point till the were willing to send me a battery, as I should not have sent the phone including the battery in the first place, as they put it. So it took another 2 weeks to get that battery. Now that I was able to switch the phone on, I experienced, that the repair was a failure. The Care Point had stated, that they had replaced a defective element and updated the software. I decided to wait for the next software version.

* As soon as available I updated to version 113.010.1507, but this was not a success either. So I sent the phone to another Care Point in the first week of November. These people called me up and told me, that since November 1. here in Germany there was only one Care Point left, which was entitled by Nokia to do repairs during warranty and that they had to charge 25 euros for forwarding the phone to that Care Point. I had the phone returned to myself as this was cheaper. I too checked http://www.nokia.com/de-de to look up these changes, but there were still all the previous Care Points listed, not just the single one.

* On November 10. I sent the phone to that last Nokia Care Point left in this country (w-support.com) and got it back about 5 or 6 days later. They only had "updated" the software to exactly the version that had already been installed previously. And you guess it, the phone kept crashing after that so called repair.

* As they have 2 times in vain tried to fix the faulty device I will now make use of my legal right to return the phone to the dealer and get my money back (§ 440 BGB). Craig_Mitchell and the rest of Nokia think, they don't have to give answers to those fools who have spent 500 euros for a device from a burnt platform. Well Nokia, you fooled me once very thoroughly, but there will for certain be no second time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

Amazon stopped selling it ? Wow.. I am surprised for some reason, but they are good company with one of the best customer support system in the world so I guess that counts for something. Can I go back and change my innital review ? I gave it 5 stars... I still think its a 5 star phone, but... that is a pretty serious issue.

When I got to amazon the US warranty one is still being sold.. by a different company, but its on there.. 

Anyway, please share some feedback after you get your devices back ... I know this is selfish, but I don't want to send mine in for no reason .. hah.

pikolog where is your N8 made ? I have a Finish made one form 2010 and it works perfectly fine on AT&T's network.. never had any issues with it.  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pikolog

It's N8-00, US version. Not sure where it's made. How can I check?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Fresh_Breeze

I wish more and more retailers stop selling this beta version of a smart phone to make it absolutely clear to Nokia that they must fix this connectivity issue..

Please use plain text.
marwallace

@ iIII

I'm in germany as well. to be honest, only had this problem when I was on vacation in Italy/sicaly. There the phone showe 3G instead of 3,5G here in Germany/O2. But maybe my phone is doing silent reboots, dontknow...

What is your provider in germany?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
illl

@marwallace

My SIM utilises the T-mobile net, provider is klarmobil.de.

Please use plain text.