Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor
tf_translate

The Ukrainian Care Point phoned me today. The detail has arrived. But I am in Germany. So I'll have my phone repaired around New Year and when I get back to Germany mid January I will report whether it helped.

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Eros_nvidia

Yesterday i called nokia care point in italy and they told me that there is only another person in italy that have the same problem. ONLY 1 person?? but he do the hard reset and everything went fine. So i do the hard reset and the problem persist. in 3.5g when the battery is under 50% lockup. In 3g all OK! 

Now or i sell the telephone and bought another (no white) or i go to nokia care point! 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

My 808 is still in repair. No new status, just "Repair created". It is already a week. And I agree it is better than if I got my phone back next day. At least there is a chance they are looking for something, or they found something, or maybe they are waiting for that small capacitor to be delivered from my native Ukraine :smileyhappy:

I have a feeling this blog is being monitored by Nokia. Such, I did not get any e-mail confirming my 808 was delivered, containing my repair ID. But as soon as I complained on this forum, I got the confirmation e-mail! ... Could be a coincidence, of course.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

My new phone is on it's way! So they did find something that made them replacing the phone (read hardware issue). This is already a great news! The second part - whether it was replaced by the same faulty one or with a good one - remains to be seen. I will post as soon as I know the answer. If the result is negative, it should be evident in the nearest future. If the phone starts doing the same thing, it will be clear. However I will be careful to announce it is fixed if I don't see the same behavior right away. It will need to go through several tests, including driving long distance through several T-Mobile towers, going for a hike in the mountains with no/week/appearing-disappearing signal, and such.

Here is the letter from Nokia:

The wait is Over !

Thanks for sending us your Nokia device for service. Our technicians found an issue with

your phone that required us to replace it.

The good news is we are providing a replacement phone at no charge to you under your

warranty. Your replacement is in this package.

So What Now ?

1. Go ahead! Your replacement phone should be usable immediately. To protect your privacy, we

are not able to transfer your personal data or applications from your old device. If you made a back

up of your data, you may reload it at your convenience.

2. Stay current. We recommend that you update your device with the latest Nokia software, so you

don’t miss any new features or performance enhancements. To use the online software updater, go

to www.nokiausa.com/softwareupdate. Note: Updating the device software also requires that you

back up and reload your personal data.

Please note we may have reinstalled your original covers to assure your choice of

color was preserved.

You’re all set! Any questions? Call Nokia Care at 1-888-NOKIA-2U.

Thanks for choosing Nokia!

Sincerely,

Your Nokia Authorized Service Center

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

So you got a replacement phone, while mine will be soldered. Probably that's the difference between EU/US service and Ukrainian service coverage. Isn't it funny that you as a native Ukrainian get Western service and I a as native German get Eastern Europe style service? Well, let's see. My 5800 also was soldered a couple of weeks after I got it (speaker issue) and has been working flawless ever since. Must be my Karma. Or the fact that I keep repeating the error to buy Nokia phones the first day they come out. :-). I am crossing my thumbs for you that your phone will work flawless now. Please keep us posted of any news good or bad.

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

It is funny indeed. But don't forget if not for Ukrainian guys, who first found your problems, we may still be in the dark. I also keep buying Nokia phones (which in US is not as common as in Europe. 99% of even educated people never heard the word Symbian). I had N73, N82, N8 and now 808. I don't think we were making mistakes at all! As a matter of fact, recently I found one indispensable feature of 808. You would think that zoom is fine, but you can do everything with Photoshop. This is not completely true. Not even talking of the amount of time it takes to process vs. just moving your finger and making a shot. But in one situation there is no substitution. Couple of weeks ago I was in the mountains, it was sunny, so the contrast between dark and bright parts of the image was too high. So you either can see what is in the shadow, and the rest is whitish or even invisible, or the other way around. This I was able to fix with zoom. It is very powerful for a camera phone. So I too is hopeful it is fixed, meaning it can be fixed for everyone, who has this issue.

Another interesting thing is that I was close to buy a Ukrainian version last Summer. I was going to Ukraine to visit my relatives, at that point Nokia announced they would not have this phone in the US. So I was planning to get it in Ukraine, But one week before my trip it appeared on Amazon. I don't think it would be even possible for me to service the Ukrainian version in States...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nok_yuno

[ Edited ]

gvp1995 wrote:

My new phone is on it's way! So they did find something that made them replacing the phone (read hardware issue). This is already a great news! The second part - whether it was replaced by the same faulty one or with a good one - remains to be seen. I will post as soon as I know the answer. If the result is negative, it should be evident in the nearest future. If the phone starts doing the same thing, it will be clear. However I will be careful to announce it is fixed if I don't see the same behavior right away. It will need to go through several tests, including driving long distance through several T-Mobile towers, going for a hike in the mountains with no/week/appearing-disappearing signal, and such.

Oh yeah, the status checker is totally useless and a waste of time to use.

I got a call from Nokia today as well for my problem.  I told them about the problem and they said they were familiar with it.  They tell me they've tested the new handset themselves and everything works fine.  Hopefully it does.  I haven't had a real day of use with it since I bought it :/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
navi123

Thanks a lot guys!!!:smileyhappy: will give my pureview asap... N give you guys the feedback once i get bk the phone... Hmph... Need to find a replacement phone now!!!:smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
navi123

------------------------------------------------------------ Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data? [ Edited ]

Here is the letter from Nokia:

The wait is Over !

Thanks for sending us your Nokia device for service. Our technicians found an issue with

your phone that required us to replace it.

The good news is we are providing a replacement phone at no charge to you under your

warranty. Your replacement is in this package.

So What Now ?

1. Go ahead! Your replacement phone should be usable immediately. To protect your privacy, we

are not able to transfer your personal data or applications from your old device. If you made a back

up of your data, you may reload it at your convenience.

2. Stay current. We recommend that you update your device with the latest Nokia software, so you

don’t miss any new features or performance enhancements. To use the online software updater, go

to www.nokiausa.com/softwareupdate. Note: Updating the device software also requires that you

back up and reload your personal data.

Please note we may have reinstalled your original covers to assure your choice of

color was preserved.

You’re all set! Any questions? Call Nokia Care at 1-888-NOKIA-2U.

Thanks for choosing Nokia!

Sincerely,

Your Nokia Authorized Service Center

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot for your support.. Do keep this post alive and keep updating us once you are done with the thorough testing!!!!:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pitoka

good for you. In the US,  the nokia support site is already officially asking people with the 3.5g issue to go to their care point. Here in Germany  or elsewhere in Europe they still seem unwilling to acknowledge the issue. But it's like I said (I saw that this was confirmed on other internet sites): when using a BV-4D 3.8V 1400 mAh battery the problem is practically not there. My phone came equipped with this  battery. Unfortunately there is no replacement battery of this kind available anywhere on the market. All you get is  a 3.7V 1320 mAh battery also used in the N9 and with this battery you get these crashes when the 3.5G signal becomes weaker.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nok_yuno

pitoka wrote:

good for you. In the US,  the nokia support site is already officially asking people with the 3.5g issue to go to their care point. Here in Germany  or elsewhere in Europe they still seem unwilling to acknowledge the issue. But it's like I said (I saw that this was confirmed on other internet sites): when using a BV-4D 3.8V 1400 mAh battery the problem is practically not there. My phone came equipped with this  battery. Unfortunately there is no replacement battery of this kind available anywhere on the market. All you get is  a 3.7V 1320 mAh battery also used in the N9 and with this battery you get these crashes when the 3.5G signal becomes weaker.

There's a 1500mah 3.8v battery by Mugen on ebay.

How could a battery with a 0.1v lower nominal voltage affect the stability of the phone?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

[ Edited ]

This is all good news for U.S users.  Now if Nokia Care point is just replacing the shipped defective handsets for new ones- is it safe to re purchase them again from Amazon?  I already miss mine and am wondering if Amazon replaced/ weeded out their inventory since they put all sales on hold about a week and a half back.  They are again up for sale.

I wish Nokia would own up to what's going on here and give us some clear guidance.  I could easily purchase a 4th 808 from Amazon and go through the hassle of sending it back if it's defective or route it to Nokia Care Point.  The end result will be the same.  New replacement from Nokia or the option of a replacemnt/ refund from Amazon.  Everything goes right back to where it started and on and on we go.

Again some kind of guidance and direction is all we ask.  Are the black or red versions not affected cause if it's not Iam not averse to purchasing either one.  Is it a low battery voltage issue as someone speculated earlier 'cause again I'm okay with purchasing an after market battery like the Mugen.  Anything to make it work.

The fact that there are so many dedicated people here that are sacrificing and willing to put up with so much speaks volumes when it comes to our loyalty.  I myself was willing to live without hspa+ and would have never returned my last phone if it hadn't hung up on me even though I had that feature off.  If the problem manifested itself here in the states the same way as it does in europe and everywhere else- I'd have been okay with it.  Unfortunately our version of the 3G bug is the worst kind where the phone appears to be working normally with full bars while it had actually lost its network connection in the background ages ago.  I'd take constant annoying reboots any day compared to this. 

Iam looking at some of my statements above and even I'm starting to think that I'm beginning to reach the point of no return.  This truly is sad and I hope that my last 808 wouldn't be the last Nokia handset that I'd ever touch again.

Your move Nokia!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

pitoka - not sure where you are in the US, but I have the BV-4D battery that came with the phone and DEFINITELY have the issue, even with HSPA+ disabled.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wetter

[ Edited ]

**bleep**!! my phone hangs again yesterday when I was downloading an app from nokia store!!

i've been experiencing this since the day i bought my 808, & to my frustration, i almost throw my phone!:smileymad:

i tried the hard reset & still the problem persist.

I am planning to send my phone to NCC but i am about to return to my home country in 2 days time.

I really regret buying this phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh! wait,, I'll just sell my phone even at low low price.. & would never buy a nokia phone again. I'll even tell my friends not to buy a nokia phone!

So frustrating. So disappointing.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

With so many frustrated people all over the place clearly Nokia has a problem with 808. Could this be a battery? I doubt, I have the "good" one and still experienced all the problems reported on this forum. Even HSPA+ could be just an artifact of some other problem, disconnecting of which could be just a temporary and accidental band aid. Based on my symptoms, I really think it is a hardware issue (I reported before one specific bug in addition to everything else about the lock button and screensaver). Now the big question at this point is - does Nokia know what is going on? There is a good old saying: "Don't look for evil intention in something, which can be easily explained by stupidity". We are trying to explain their behavior by this and that, but the simple truth could be that they just don't know.

I guess, I will have my answer soon. My phone is coming back from the US repair center, and I will probably get it back on Tuesday. If I see it is fixed, then I will believe Nokia does know what is going on, meaning the light in the end of the tunnel for everybody else. If not, then I don't know what to do. To keep it as $700 camera does not make sense. I think for this money one can get much better deal.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

Could it be the battery ? hm.. well mine has the 3.7v 1320 battery as well. Nokia Energy profiler shows you mah and current voltage.. I don't know how accurate it is, but at 100% charge it shows 4.0V .. and it gradually goes down, so if its voltage related we should be less likely to experiance restarts at 100% charge than say at 20% where the voltage will be lower.

Either way.. that shouldn't be happening.. there is something wrong, and its not the battery.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

dj24 wrote:

This is all good news for U.S users.  Now if Nokia Care point is just replacing the shipped defective handsets for new ones- is it safe to re purchase them again from Amazon?  I already miss mine and am wondering if Amazon replaced/ weeded out their inventory since they put all sales on hold about a week and a half back.  They are again up for sale.

I received my seventh 808 from Amazon a couple of days ago and it rebooted about 30 minutes after I started using it. So unfortunately no, the ones they are shipping now are no different from the ones before they put the sales on hold.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nok_yuno

fokrow wrote:

I received my seventh 808 from Amazon a couple of days ago and it rebooted about 30 minutes after I started using it. So unfortunately no, the ones they are shipping now are no different from the ones before they put the sales on hold.

Why don't you go through nokia repair?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

nok_yuno wrote:

fokrow wrote:

Why don't you go through nokia repair?

I guess I'm afraid that it's going to take them longer than 30 days to get the phone back to me and if they don't fix it I can't return it to Amazon at that point.  Also, I'm going on vacation next week and then again at the end of January and this phone is my camera so I don't want to be without it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

[ Edited ]

@ fokrow

When you say rebooted do you mean just that or the dreaded dead silent mode it goes into until you reboot it yourself. Any difference compared to your last 6-7 phones?

Please use plain text.