Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor
JackS

Made in China
Firmware 1506
3,8V battery
product code 059M963
Type: RM-807
IMEI: 351965/05/021XXXX
Still crashes. When signal is good, no crahses, but when signal is weak... quite often crashes...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

Piratepecke wrote:
please guys check firmware. V 1508 is still availiable for some eastern markets. Maybe gvp1985 you have it maybe ? Switching to 1508 from 1507 on my new replacement phone seems to solved the buggy behaviour.(cfw). Now 3 days driving,transmitting and webradio streaming without ONE crash. Can someone with standard 1508 confirm that he has still crashes or buggy behavior with his 808 unit ????

I did not get it! Did anyone in the US get 1508?! I've been checking every day since I first learned about it in the beginning of January through OTA and Nokia Suite but in vain. I am really hopeful they can fix something. Besides the 3g bug, there are numerous others. To name a few: neither Spoptstracker nor Engomondo work without having another GPS program running on the background (even this is tricky - can go 0/0 satellites any moment for different reasons). When typing in Swype (the only way with Symbian to get a language outside of the few excluded with the phone), you don's see what you are typing, the panel is hidden. There is no way to tether through Joiku or something (if anybody knows another app, please post! I was desperately looking but could not find any. I used to connect though Nokia Suite, but now I have MS Surface RT and there is no way to connect to the Internet so far)... And things like that.

At one point I was disparate and bought myself unlocked Lumia 920 (from Canadian Rogers, can confirm works great with T-Mobile 4g out of box). There all those things work. To share the Internet you just press one button...But sent it back. The UI just does not work for me. To me the home screens arrangement is much more superior. And then the camera. There is just no comparison. It is Sky and Earth. I just read Nokia is thinking about Android. That would probably be the best. Symbian is dead, MeGo is dead, what is next?!

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

"There is no way to tether through Joiku or something (if anybody knows another app, please post! I was desperately looking but could not find any."

According to reviews, the 808 comes with a stripped down version of Joikuspot, so it should work. I have two Nokia 700 phones and both run Joiku (full version) fine, so Joiku works fine under Belle FP2.

Joiku itself does have significant issues: it cannot emulate a standard wifi access point. All it can do (on the Nokia hardware) is run a device-to-device wifi connection, so if you are connecting a windoze computer to it, you need to change the wifi settings to only look for this type of wifi network. Other devices e.g. Ipads seem to connect to it ok, but they have no config for that sort of thing anyway.

What are you trying to tether to the 808?

Remember the stripped down Joiku does (I think) only HTTP i.e. port 80 so cannot be used to retrieve POP3 email, etc.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

gecebekcisi wrote:

Seems like 113.010.1508 fixed it for me. Will report later too

I upgraded last week to 113.010.1508.  Still rebooting on AT&T. 

I also had mine in for serivce at PALCO (Nokia USA's repair shop), that too to no avail.

IMEI 35196 5050 69xxxx - one of the earliest ones, imported from Singapore.

EDIT: Battery is original BV 4D, 3.8V.  Also reboots with an Onite "B4 4D Compatible" 3.7V.   I doubt the battery voltage is the issue, since it mostly reboots while in the car, driving - at those times I have it plugged in to the car charger.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited as it mentioned unauthorized procedures of updating the software which is not allowed in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

peterh338 wrote:

"There is no way to tether through Joiku or something (if anybody knows another app, please post! I was desperately looking but could not find any."

According to reviews, the 808 comes with a stripped down version of Joikuspot, so it should work. I have two Nokia 700 phones and both run Joiku (full version) fine, so Joiku works fine under Belle FP2.

Joiku itself does have significant issues: it cannot emulate a standard wifi access point. All it can do (on the Nokia hardware) is run a device-to-device wifi connection, so if you are connecting a windoze computer to it, you need to change the wifi settings to only look for this type of wifi network. Other devices e.g. Ipads seem to connect to it ok, but they have no config for that sort of thing anyway.

What are you trying to tether to the 808?

Remember the stripped down Joiku does (I think) only HTTP i.e. port 80 so cannot be used to retrieve POP3 email, etc.

The US version does not come with JoikuSpot, and installing it yourself won't do any good.  Nokia has disabled the ability to do WiFi tethering when connected through US/Canadian networks (AT&T, T-Mobile USA, etc).

Bluetooth tethering still works.  So does USB.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Bluetooth tethering is not very good though, IME. The speed is about 30kbytes/sec (so about the same speed as one gets on a 3G connection) and every time you start up the system you need to sort out which of the 753 "COM" ports the phone is on right now :smileyhappy:

What actually happens if you buy the full Joikuspot and try to install it on a US 808?

There must be a hack for this - like there were for the Iphone on which Apple enabled certain networks to conceal the APN config menu (and stupidly sold unlocked Iphones in the UK like that, for about $800) so one downloaded a little app (from a website in New Zealand) which set it up for you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

An interesting data point is that not a single one of the 45 customer reviews of the Nokia 808 on amazon.co.uk mentions this issue.

It has to have a network dependent factor!

Unless Amazon censor the reviews, which I find hard to believe because people write all kinds of obnoxious stuff there about other products.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

[ Edited ]

i saw severer users claiming that 3.5G issues in notations @Amazon .....

but i never thought it could affect me ........

after a Device Change i have now Nokia 808 PV with Data as follows.:

Country Code : 059M958

Imei                 :35196505006xxxx

White.

Battery first delivery BL4D 3.7v . worked 100% but less capacity.

Battery second delivery after complaintment : BV-4D 3.8V.

NO reboots and NO restarting occurs until now.

At this time , i am totally happy with my second 808 finally

AND : using a 64gb Micro SDXC without any problems on ExFat..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

Are you on AT&T ? It mostly happens if you are moving around (driving/running, etc).

I wonder if Amazon had Nokia repair their stock.. you are the first with a "5050" imei to report a working unit.

btw for those of you who want to use joiku in the US.. bing this:  Modified v5.1 By PVN913

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rtrt

Interesting you say Amazon.co.uk is outa stock peterh338.  I've been working with a Chinese supplier to find a 191 IMEI 808 and the supplier is telling me this is very hard because stock is low and it will be discountinued soon

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

It was a particular amazon.co.uk trader who said the stock was finished.

Others are offering stock now.

Amazon traders pop up and down like those kids toys with a spring up their bottom :smileyhappy: It's a bunch of different companies almost every week. Barl Trading is up there again, offering a white 808, but they have absolutely never replied to any communications. I even complained to Amazon about them, only to get a message back from a script monkey in India saying that others are selling it. Obviously, since Amazon provide zero warranty on an item sold by a trader under the Amazon umbrella, they couldn't care less.

Currently, white is a LOT cheaper than black.

I would be suprised if Nokia dropped the 808. They are selling in good numbers and they are making loads of money on them because of the almost direct sales. In the last quarter Nokia sold ~4M WP phones and ~2M Symbian phones so they would be mad to wash their hands of Symbian.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Hi all,

My colleague Craig_Mitchell stated a while ago that the cause of this 3G issue affecting some 808 PureView models had been traced and that service bulletins were available to our Care network to deal with the matter.

If your Nokia 808 PureView has the symptoms mentioned in the original post, please be aware that a hardware fix is required, this is something that will not be resolved by a software update. For details of Nokia Care services in your country, please visit www.nokia.com/support.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Michaels,

"My colleague Craig_Mitchell stated a while ago that the cause of this 3G issue affecting some 808 PureView models had been traced and that service bulletins were available to our Care network to deal with the matter."

Appreciate your post here as a Nokia representative, but you should be aware that this is of absolutely no use to anybody in Europe's 1st or 2nd biggest market (the UK) where all 808 sellers are grey importers and the Nokia "care network" won't touch them with a 20ft bargepole.

I have phoned up half a dozen Nokia shops here in the UK. Four did not answer the phone and the other two knew NOTHING about this fix and were going to ask Nokia and get back to me. Neither got back. One of them said that all such repairs go to a special central Nokia repair centre anyway.

Most 808s for sale are under amazon.co.uk where all traders are just separate traders i.e. NO amazon warranty. Some of them do not respond to any communications pre-sale so obviously you can forget the warranty anyway.

Until UK customers get this sorted out, you should understand that it makes sense to wait till "apparently fixed" stock starts to come through.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Michaels,

"My colleague Craig_Mitchell stated a while ago that the cause of this 3G issue affecting some 808 PureView models had been traced and that service bulletins were available to our Care network to deal with the matter."

Thank you for coming on here to at least acknowledge Nokia's awareness of the issue and the presence of a hardware fix.

I too am in the UK, currently using an N8, but would love to upgrade to the 808.  The presence of this bug is putting me off, as is the reluctance of UK Nokia Care centres to support phones bought from abroad.  I would understand this stance if UK variants were offered for sale, but as they are not, why not extend the warranty to UK users as a goodwill gesture?  Or at least give technical details of the fix so that we can have phones repaired by a third party?  Our UK warranty would be invalid anyway so what is the difference?

I'm not purchasing an 808 until this whole situation is resolved and acknowledged by Nokia as being so.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

On the issue of UK availabilty - a complete joke.  The official Nokia "Buy Now" links you to a grey import from Amazon UK.  I had a live chat with Nokia, who said the phone was available from a Carphone Warehouse shop up the road from me. 

I got a few blank looks from CPW when I went in - never even heard of it!

Come on Nokia, you can do better here.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Nokia's acknowledgement has been here officially, for a few months at least.

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA140286_en_US

But they have never said any more, and obviously their advice is no good for the UK - as I have been saying here for ages...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

michaels wrote:

Hi all,

My colleague Craig_Mitchell stated a while ago that the cause of this 3G issue affecting some 808 PureView models had been traced and that service bulletins were available to our Care network to deal with the matter.

If your Nokia 808 PureView has the symptoms mentioned in the original post, please be aware that a hardware fix is required, this is something that will not be resolved by a software update. For details of Nokia Care services in your country, please visit www.nokia.com/support.

I've sent my phone into Nokia Care twice and both times received a new phone and both times the new phone had the same issues as the original one I sent in.  And both times they sent me paperwork back noting the phone had a symptom/fault code of 4399.  I have no idea what this code means, maybe you could let me know?  I also called Nokia Care and they said they couldn't do anything for me other than suggesting I send the device back in.  So the 808 that I have now, that's restarted itself three times today, will be sent back on Monday.  Maybe you could make an exception for me and send me a working unit from your stash or "fixed" phones :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

What country is that in?

This issue seems to be heavily network dependent.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pitoka

michaels wrote:

Hi all,

this post leaves me rather baffled. If things were that simple this thread would have stopped long ago. But  as we find out in post after post Nokia gives owners of faulty units either service that is useless or replacement units that are faulty as well. Maybe Mr. Mitchell could give Nokia's German department a little advice in this matter, because they've never heard of the problem and suggest reinstalling the firmware as a solution.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

I'm in the US on AT&T
Please use plain text.