Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor

Has anyone in the US sent their 808 to the repair place in Alabama for repair and gotten back a phone that actually works?  I haven't sent mine in yet because it sounds like they come back showing the same behavior.  No sense in going for a week or more without the phone and it not getting fixed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

I can also confirm that Nokia Care USA sends back defective phones. Their customer service is very good... you get your new phone very quickly, but the new unit would mostly likely have the same exact problem (random reboots with HSPA turned on) as the one you sent in for a repair.

I will have to send mine in again, but really.. there is no point in doing that so soon after I got my replacement. I will wait another month or so.. hopefully by then they will either get new (more recent builds) as replacements, or they will know how to fix/replace whatever there is to be replaced.

Its such an awesome phone... there really isn't anything out there to replace it with, otherwise I would have done so a long time ago.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

elliottpotter wrote:

Has anyone in the US sent their 808 to the repair place in Alabama for repair and gotten back a phone that actually works?  I haven't sent mine in yet because it sounds like they come back showing the same behavior.  No sense in going for a week or more without the phone and it not getting fixed.

Both phones that I've sent in went to Fort Worth, Texas

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

2 questions.

1. Did anyone in the US receive 1508 update? I keep checking every day, still don't get it. I would like to try it before sending my 808 back to Nokia

2. Related question. What firmware version is sent back by Nokia in the replacement phones? Is it 1508? (I am in US).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

gvp1995 wrote:

2 questions.

1. Did anyone in the US receive 1508 update? I keep checking every day, still don't get it. I would like to try it before sending my 808 back to Nokia

2. Related question. What firmware version is sent back by Nokia in the replacement phones? Is it 1508? (I am in US).

Nokia have clearly stated it is hardware problem which cannot be fixed by a software update. What is the relevance of your questions in this case ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

93tid wrote:

gvp1995 wrote:

2 questions.

Nokia have clearly stated it is hardware problem which cannot be fixed by a software update. What is the relevance of your questions in this case ?

At this point of time it would be not unreasonable to assume that Nokia has no clue what is going on. If they did, this thread would be dead long ago. There wouldn't be people around, who send their phones back and forward (some of them more than 10 times). Nokia would have fixed it's production line, and all replacement phones would work (this did not happen even once as far as I know). To say - it is a hardware bug, but btw, we don't know how to fix it - is the same as to say, sorry, we have no clue.

I still thinkg there is a chance the phone works better after installing 1508 (even if 3g bug is not completely fixed). The update is big - half a GB, and there no new features offered, so mainly it is bug fixes. There are multiple other bugs in the phone except for 3g bug.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

No 1508 for the US.

I've tried both 1507 and 1508 on AT&T hspa ... with both I only get the random restarts, non of the other issues. I've tried it with 3 different phones.. all in the "5050" imei series.

I am testing it today.. so far 6 restarts, but I am recording the network behaviour with the software I posted earlier, will post the exel log files later today.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

I posted it times and again. My phone had the issue, I printed out the link that Nokia employees posted in this thread, went to an approved Nokia Care center in Ukraine (a country that does not even have 3G!!), the guy in the care center looked up the issue in their data base, ordered the spare part, took three weeks to pass through Ukrainian customs, then he repaired the phone, and now I am fine (when using 3.5G in Germany at the same places where my phone woudl crash within minutes before).

So, technically Nokia is aware of what is going on and is able to fix it.

The problem is that practically Nokia Care does not seem to work in some countries. In Ukraine the good thing was that I could just walk in to the repair job and talk to them until they finally went to look up things in their data base. In other countries, you just mail the device to the repair shop and there, somebody opens your parcel and you never have a chance to talk to them in person.

That's why I always recommend to mail the phone together with a printout of the link that the Nokia employees have supplied here. Actually, wrap the phone in it, mark it with a yellow sticker, and write in big red letters that you

insist your device be REPAIRED and that you won't accept a replacment device!

Still, of course, Nokia should do something to improve the user experience of using their care and repair system. They should be proactive about the 808 3G bug so that every Nokia Care employee knows of it as soon as you say you've got an 808.

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

tf_translate wrote:
That's why I always recommend to mail the phone together with a printout of the link that the Nokia employees have supplied here. Actually, wrap the phone in it, mark it with a yellow sticker, and write in big red letters that you

insist your device be REPAIRED and that you won't accept a replacment device!

I did exactly what you recommended, even rubber banding the printout and note to the phone so there was no way they could get to the phone without reading the note :smileyhappy:  But all they did was send me a new phone that has the same problems as the other ones.  On the bright side, I'm starting to build up quite a collection of batteries and back covers since you don't include those when you send the phone in for repair :smileylol:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

fokrow wrote:

I did exactly what you recommended, even rubber banding the printout and note to the phone so there was no way they could get to the phone without reading the note :smileyhappy:  But all they did was send me a new phone that has the same problems as the other ones.  On the bright side, I'm starting to build up quite a collection of batteries and back covers since you don't include those when you send the phone in for repair :smileylol:

Sad to hear that. I was angry at Nokia in the beginning that I couldn't get service in Germany but now it seems I was actually lucky to have bought my device in Ukraine and thus was able to get service there. How strange the world works these days. In Ukraine, the service companies do not stock replacement devices, so they had no option but to do the repair. Maybe in Western Europe the human cost to perform a SMD soldering operation is more expensive than shelling out another phone. Who knows.

Keep repating that exercise, sending in more printouts, including of this thread, until they finally give in. Meanwhile, sell the batteries on e-bay. :-).

I will be flying to Ukraine again sooner or later. If somebody from Germany is seriously interested I could inquire at the company over there whether they also do the repair for money for non-Ukrainian devices ... However that's crazy. Nokia, do you hear us? Do something about your support network in Western Europe. Please!

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

Finally , good to know !

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

i saw severer users claiming that 3.5G issues in notations @Amazon .....

now we tried out wheter Firmware could affect reboots.

i can tell you now , that i used 1507 with unit of one my friends , and there

were absolutely no reboots or crashs .......

so i assume cleary that , as already confirmed by nokia , it is a Hardware Malfunction.

Guys , dont wait for 1508 update , it wont fix anything. Go and try to swap your Phone.

after a Device Change and Days of Daily usage of my new 808

in Germany with German Provider BASE i  have Data as follows.:

Country Code : 059M958

Imei                 :35196505006xxxx

White.

Battery first delivery BL4D 3.7v . worked 100% but less capacity.

NO REBOOTS after PHONESWAP BY REPLACED NEW PHONE.

Battery second delivery after complaintment : BV-4D 3.8V.

THIRD BATTERY MUGENPOWER 1500mAh  3.8v.

maximized capacity to about 25% more standby duration.

ABSOLUTELY NO reboots and NO restarting occurs until now.

At this time , i am totally happy with my second 808 finally

AND : using a 64gb Micro SDXC without any problems on ExFat

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

fokrow wrote: 

I did exactly what you recommended, even rubber banding the printout and note to the phone so there was no way they could get to the phone without reading the note :smileyhappy:  But all they did was send me a new phone that has the same problems as the other ones.

Well the most recent replacement phone I've received from Nokia Care is the worst of the 10 or 11 808's I've had.  If I have HSPA enabled it is constantly restarting and if I disable HSPA I experience a loss of connectivity even though the phone shows there is an active data connection.  I installed Connectivity Analyzer from Nokia and ran it when I lost connectivity and the overall result is "failed".  The host name was connectivity-test.ext.nokia.com and the fail reason in -5120.  No idea what this means but the only way to get my data connection working again is to restart the phone.

I'm tempted to run the phone with HSPA enabled because I'd rather have my phone restart than thinking I have connectivity when I really don't.  But these restarts seem to happen at the most inopportune times.  I went on a hike over the weekend and came across a meadow with a bunch of deer and pulled out the 808 to snap a pic and take a video and just as I had framed the shot... restart.

I'm not sure what to do anymore.  I can't return the phone because I'm past my return window.  And Nokia keeps sending me phones that don't work so it's pointless for me to keep sending them in to Nokia Care.  I've called Nokia to see if they can help but they just tell me to send the phone in again.  I've taken the advice of the moderators and stopped returning my phone to Amazon and sent them into Nokia Care instead and I'm no better off.  So maybe a moderator on this thread can help me out?  Maybe PM me with a way I can get a working phone?  Or at least give me the phone number or email address of someone that can help me if you can't? I've been a loyal user of Nokia over the years (6190, E63, E70, E71, E75, E7, etc) so I'd like just a little loyalty in return.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saw severer users claiming that 3.5G issues in notations @Amazon .....

now we tried out wheter Firmware could affect reboots.

i can tell you now , that i used 1507 with unit of one my friends , and there

were absolutely no reboots or crashs .......

so i assume cleary that , as already confirmed by nokia , it is a Hardware Malfunction.

Guys , dont wait for 1508 update , it wont fix anything. Go and try to swap your Phone.

after a Device Change and Days of Daily usage of my new 808

in Germany with German Provider BASE i  have Data as follows.:

Country Code : 059M958

Imei                 :35196505006xxxx

White.

Battery first delivery BL4D 3.7v . worked 100% but less capacity.

NO REBOOTS after PHONESWAP BY REPLACED NEW PHONE.

Battery second delivery after complaintment : BV-4D 3.8V.

THIRD BATTERY MUGENPOWER 1500mAh  3.8v.

maximized capacity to about 25% more standby duration.

ABSOLUTELY NO reboots and NO restarting occurs until now.

At this time , i am totally happy with my second 808 finally

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

folks , just to keep you updated  , after a few days of continous usage of my new , swapped device( details see above)  , i almost had NO reboots until now ,

and no connection problems at all with CFW .1508 based.

installed apps are WhatsApp 2.9.6 , Facebook Nokia social , Weather Widget . heavy usage of

nikia internet radio 3.5.0 parralel to nokia drive / Nokia Maps  and Play via Radio FM Transmitter same time.

no probs at all until now and no restarts.......

only phone temperature increases about 6 degrees while 23.5c in.car temp.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

Can anyone in US confirm that Nokia is sending back replacement phones that work? Did anyone get 1508 update? What is wrong with 1508?! Does anyone know? Please share if you have any info. If this thread is dead, it will mean there is no more problem. But I am personally not there. I want to send my phone to US center, but it would be nice to know they are giving back a working unit.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

gvp1995 wrote:

Can anyone in US confirm that Nokia is sending back replacement phones that work? Did anyone get 1508 update? What is wrong with 1508?! Does anyone know? Please share if you have any info. If this thread is dead, it will mean there is no more problem. But I am personally not there. I want to send my phone to US center, but it would be nice to know they are giving back a working unit.

I can confirm they're sending back replacement phones that have the same problems as the one that was sent in to be fixed.  I'll be sending in my third one on Tuesday of next week (gotta have the camera for the three day weekend) so I'll let you know as soon as the replacement phone restarts, hangs, etc. which should be only a day or so after I receive it :smileyindifferent:  And no, I haven't gotten the 1508 update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

fokrow wrote:

gvp1995 wrote:

I can confirm they're sending back replacement phones that have the same problems as the one that was sent in to be fixed.  I'll be sending in my third one on Tuesday of next week (gotta have the camera for the three day weekend) so I'll let you know as soon as the replacement phone restarts, hangs, etc. which should be only a day or so after I receive it :smileyindifferent:  And no, I haven't gotten the 1508 update.

fokrow, thank you for your info. Yes, please update as soon as you get the new one. I still have several months of warranty, and I would like to send it back once before it expires. I did send my 808 for repair a couple of months ago, but it came back with the same issues.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
React

Just got back from Nokia care point. I spoke to the technician and he told me that according to the nokia database, he should do a "factory wipe" before he installs the 1508 software. He told me that other repair centres only reinstalls new softwarewhich wont fix the problem... can any one confirm? i'll report back on monday when i get my phone. And onother thing is he doesn't believe that i had the problem since the beginning.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

What country is that in?

Without knowing the locality, this discussion is practically meaningless, because this issue is partly cellular equipment dependent.

On the plus side, I have just heard one UK trader is getting 35196505192xxxx, so I am going to buy one and report, and if it works, that will be interesting...

Please use plain text.