Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor
vlado3g

^ nice... as far as we know the newer "5051" batches are working fine.. but it will be nice to know for sure.

As far as 1508, no.. i doesn't fix the issue even if you "refurbish" your phone, that is, clean install.

As far as Nokia Care US, they only have "5050" replacements and they all have the issue.. they either need to fix they replacement stock, or get newer device.

I am afraind that they will stop making the 808 soon.. they might need that line for the Lumia range.

Contributor
rajallin1

I think you are right my friend

Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

rajallin1 wrote:

I think you are right my friend

Right in which respect? That 5051 is working now? Or that Nokia will stop building 808? Or both? Vlado3g how did you derive that 5051 is working? I have a very practical interest. My replacement phone is not good - the same problem. My warranty expires in July. So I was thinking to send the phone back to Nokia as close to this date as possible in hope by that time they learn how to fix it. But now I don't know what to do... Did anyone in US get the phone fixed?!

Advisor
React

Okay 1508 does not solve the problem im in South-Africa on Vodacom network. 059P9S0 35196505041xxxx:angry:

Counsellor

(Edited from original to remove mention of software not approved by Nokia).

I'm not checking this thread as often as I used to (I have basically given up), but there are some questions and speculations here that I can put to rest immediately.

• Does sending your phone into Nokia Care (USA) fix the issue?

In a word, No.  I sent mine in to PALCO on Nov 27 (paid for it out of pocket, since I have a non-US unit), and received it back on Dec 6; same serial #, and a note that simply said "repaired".   It seems to have helped with some other issues though, such as the touch screen controls disappearing from the Camera interface now and then while on 3.5G.

@Michaels, FYI, I had mentioned to PALCO the existence of a Nokia Service bulletin describing how to fix this issue, and they acknowledged that they had this bulletin.   So I can only assume that they performed the fix as described by Nokia.

• Does the 113.010.1508 upgrade fix the issue?

No.  I upgraded in mid-January, and there seems to be no difference vs. 113.010.1507. 

• Does changing to a new battery fix the issue?

No.  I ordered two original Nokia BV-4D batteries, rated 3.8V, from sparepart.dk.   I will say this though, when charged fully, the reboots seem to beslightly less frequent than before.   Conversely, using 3.7V batteries (such as OEM "BV-4D equivalent" or the BL-4D from my N8) definitely causes more frequent reboots.

• Is the issue operator/network dependent?

Defintely.   I tried out T-Mobile USA for about 3 weeks, and while using their SIM, I did not have a single reboot - whether on 3.5G or not.   (I ended up cancelling before the 30-day trial period, because their network coverage is less robust than AT&T's in my general area).     I understand this is also very location dependent.

• Does the issue only happen with 3.5G (HSDPA) enabled?

Mostly, but not quite.  I've had an occasional reboot also with 3.5G disabled - even in Offline mode!   I've found though that if I simply leave HSPA disabled and don't play around with it, the phone will stabilize.  After enabling HSPA, the phone becomes unstable for the next hour or so (even if I perform a hard reset by holding the lock switch + End key for 10 seconds, or remove the battery and short out the connectors for a few seconds).   So there is definitely a hardware/capacitance/inductance element to this.

As I said in the beginning, I've given up hope.  I'm just waiting for the Sony Xperia Z/ZL to be released in the US - fully aware that the camera is going to be ho-hum compared to the 808.

Counsellor
gvp1995

hlorri wrote:

(Edited from original to remove mention of software not approved by Nokia).

I'm not checking this thread as often as I used to (I have basically given up), but there are some questions and speculations here that I can put to rest immediately.

• Does sending your phone into Nokia Care (USA) fix the issue?

In a word, No.  I sent mine in to PALCO on Nov 27 (paid for it out of pocket, since I have a non-US unit), and received it back on Dec 6; same serial #, and a note that simply said "repaired".   It seems to have helped with some other issues though, such as the touch screen controls disappearing from the Camera interface now and then while on 3.5G.

@Michaels, FYI, I had mentioned to PALCO the existence of a Nokia Service bulletin describing how to fix this issue, and they acknowledged that they had this bulletin.   So I can only assume that they performed the fix as described by Nokia.

• Does the 113.010.1508 upgrade fix the issue?

No.  I upgraded in mid-January, and there seems to be no difference vs. 113.010.1507. 

• Does changing to a new battery fix the issue?

No.  I ordered two original Nokia BV-4D batteries, rated 3.8V, from sparepart.dk.   I will say this though, when charged fully, the reboots seem to beslightly less frequent than before.   Conversely, using 3.7V batteries (such as OEM "BV-4D equivalent" or the BL-4D from my N8) definitely causes more frequent reboots.

• Is the issue operator/network dependent?

Defintely.   I tried out T-Mobile USA for about 3 weeks, and while using their SIM, I did not have a single reboot - whether on 3.5G or not.   (I ended up cancelling before the 30-day trial period, because their network coverage is less robust than AT&T's in my general area).     I understand this is also very location dependent.

• Does the issue only happen with 3.5G (HSDPA) enabled?

Mostly, but not quite.  I've had an occasional reboot also with 3.5G disabled - even in Offline mode!   I've found though that if I simply leave HSPA disabled and don't play around with it, the phone will stabilize.  After enabling HSPA, the phone becomes unstable for the next hour or so (even if I perform a hard reset by holding the lock switch + End key for 10 seconds, or remove the battery and short out the connectors for a few seconds).   So there is definitely a hardware/capacitance/inductance element to this.

As I said in the beginning, I've given up hope.  I'm just waiting for the Sony Xperia Z/ZL to be released in the US - fully aware that the camera is going to be ho-hum compared to the 808.

Couple of comments/remarks.

1. Nov 27 is light years away. I sent my phone (USA, white, from Amazon) approximately at the same time, and I received a replacement phone from Nokia (the same ...5050...), which does not work. But since then there were reports that 5051 works. So at this time it is inconclusive

2. I am using 808 with T-Mobile, and I have issues with 3g bug. Not very often but constantly. I can go for 3-4 weeks without any problems. But then the phone can restart several times a day. Mostly when the signal is week or when changing towers, but sometimes with a good signal. Or the phone can show all bars, but it is bogus - there is no connection for hours.

Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

"I am using 808 with T-Mobile, and I have issues with 3g bug. Not very often but constantly. I can go for 3-4 weeks without any problems. But then the phone can restart several times a day. Mostly when the signal is week or when changing towers, but sometimes with a good signal. "

Is this in the USA?

Somebody commented that T-M (in Spain, I think) does not reveal the problem.

The problem is that a given network can be configured very differently in different countries, or even for different resellers. For example, in the UK, Virgin supports GSM fax but T-M doesn't, yet Virgin runs on T-M! OK, fax is barely relevant these days, especially over GSM, but this clearly shows how differently things can be configured.

This 808 bug is clearly massively network dependent because, as I said before, not one of the ~48 reviews on amazon.co.uk mentions it.

"Or the phone can show all bars, but it is bogus - there is no connection for hours."

Is that because the phone has totally crashed but without wiping out its display, or is the phone still partly working?

Anyway I am expecting a 35196505192xxxx 808 tomorrow so that will be interesting. I will pop over to France also to see if I can make it crash.

I wonder which parts of your post were deleted by the mods? I know about a lot of hacks but can't think of any that are relevant to this issue.

Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

"I am using 808 with T-Mobile, and I have issues with 3g bug. Not very often but constantly. I can go for 3-4 weeks without any problems. But then the phone can restart several times a day. Mostly when the signal is week or when changing towers, but sometimes with a good signal. "

Is this in the USA?

Somebody commented that T-M (in Spain, I think) does not reveal the problem.

The problem is that a given network can be configured very differently in different countries, or even for different resellers. For example, in the UK, Virgin supports GSM fax but T-M doesn't, yet Virgin runs on T-M! OK, fax is barely relevant these days, especially over GSM, but this clearly shows how differently things can be configured.

This 808 bug is clearly massively network dependent because, as I said before, not one of the ~48 reviews on amazon.co.uk mentions it.

"Or the phone can show all bars, but it is bogus - there is no connection for hours."

Is that because the phone has totally crashed but without wiping out its display, or is the phone still partly working?

Anyway I am expecting a 35196505192xxxx 808 tomorrow so that will be interesting. I will pop over to France also to see if I can make it crash.

I wonder which parts of your post were deleted by the mods? I know about a lot of hacks but can't think of any that are relevant to this issue.

Yes, I am in USA. Showing all bars without connection is a known manifestation of 3g bug (Read some reviews on US Amazon). The phone is totally operable in any other respect, but you cannot make/receive calls, and the worst part - you don't know that! It makes some people freak out. It can be very bad, I traveled to another city about a month ago, and my phone was showing all bars, but when I tried to call - nothing happens, just silence. Restart the phone - everything is back, including bunch of e-mails. I estimate it was out for at least a couple of hours. Moderators did not delete anything.

peterh338, where your ...5051... is coming from?! Are you in US? Is it a new phone or a replacement?

Advisor
React

Ive noticed from my few reflashes that the fone is stable for n while until you use alot of ram and internet then it crashes for the 1st time, after that it crashes after 5 mins if 3g is on. Going to try another network to see if it wil help.
Contributor
Reasoner

Do you guys want to fix your Nokia 808 from the HSPDA bug? Here's how we do it:

Go to http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/reports/contact-us , Report a Violation of Our Rules for seller Nokia and listing ID B0087OXZ3K , then write in the comments that the Nokia 808 has a defective mainboard, is constantly freezing, the repair centers are not fixing the problem, and Amazon needs to take the product off until Nokia addresses this issue. Get everyone you know with one of these phones to do the same.

This is the only way we will get something done.

If you have not seen already, Nokia does not care. I sent my phone in with a note wrapped around it saying "DO NOT REPLACE, fix the known mainboard problem," and they replaced it with a broken phone anyway. They are not fixing them, despite knowing what the problem is. If we can get Amazon to stop selling them and hurt their US retails, maybe they will finally come out and address the issue.

Or you can keep sending them back to the repair center and crossing your fingers, whichever you prefer.

Contributor
branko19792805

Just to comment on my experience and solution provided by service center.

First data:
-nokia 808 pureview RM-807
-belle feature pack 2
113.010.1507.C00.01
-product code 059M973
-IMEI 3519650501XXXXX

Bought my 808 in January and was not using mobile data (only WiFi) for first few weeks. After activating data package with my provider (Vipnet/Croatia) i have turned on 3.5G. We have HSPA and LTE coverage here.

The phone have froze after 5 min of usage (WhatsApp), signal was about at half of full strength.
Later that day it froze again (black screen, only keypad light on).

I was aware about this problem even before i bought the phone (AAS) so i have searched for solutions if existed.
It was obvious that software flash and phone replacement was not helping so i have contacted repair center in Zagreb (don't want to send phone for nothing, i would rather wait for a while).
They told me that NOKIA phones had problems with 3.5G connections when using older SIM cards(!?).

It costs me nothing to replace my SIM card and i had no choice since service center would recommend this as first repair step. So i have replaced it...more than three weeks ago. And there are no freeze up-s, i use it on same places as before and with same applications turned on.
On a side note the original and new SIM card looked the same (ultra sim), and both had to be cut down to size(to fit in micro sim slot).

Obviously this solution doesn't make sense but is a strange coincidence.
Any thoughts on this?

Counsellor
vlado3g

^ that would be the easiest solution, but.. I've changed at least 5 sim cards in my 808, and non of them made a difference. They were all from the same AT&T store, so maybe they were all from an older batch. Regradless tho, the phone still has a problem..

I am not 100% sure that a "5051" imei would work, but I think there was a report further back by someone that didn't have the problem. Now, considering how random all of this is.. I don't know, I am just assuming that at one point they fixed it at the production line.

Everyone who has reported to have the issue here is with a 5050 phone..

Reasoner good idea. Done..

Advisor
JoeDay

I returned 4 faulty 808s in a row in February. I tried all with a brand new SIM card that I purchased for this phone the very same month. All xxxx5050xxxx and xxxx5051xxxx.

Counsellor
gvp1995

JoeDay wrote:

I returned 4 faulty 808s in a row in February. I tried all with a brand new SIM card that I purchased for this phone the very same month. All xxxx5050xxxx and xxxx5051xxxx.

It takes just one not-working ...5051... to disprove the idea that Nokia fixed it. Also for people, who do something to the phone and for a couple of weeks it behaves. Don't be encouraged to early. Give it at least a couple of months. I own 808 for almost 8 months, and can tell you that it can go without 3g bug evident for weeks. Especially if you don't travel.

Sage
peterh338

I have just got an 808, IMEI 35196505215xxxx, from Tech World Trading UK

www.tech-world-direct.com

New stock, just arrived.

Good firm too so far, responsive by email which is a huge rarity in this slightly dirty business dominated by fly by night cowboys.

I need to chop down my SIM and then will report.

Watch this space :smileyhappy:

However I am in the UK, and (as I've said before) not one of the ~48 reviews on amazon.co.uk mentions this issue (amazon.com reviews certainly do mention it, with the usual % of owners tearing their hair out) so it will probably be fine in the UK, due to some difference in the cellular network equipment configuration here.

I am sure that Nokia (farmed out to Accenture) knows exactly what the cause is by now, because it is so repeatable if you pick the right country (the USA is a good start).

Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

I have just got an 808, IMEI 35196505215xxxx, from Tech World Trading UK

So we know that there is ...5052... now. Unfortunately here in US it looks like they toss around ...5050... My replacement IME was smaller number than the original one. And I don't think I was the only one. I bought my 808 first day it was available on US Amazon, and it looks like we, early adopters, are being punished fot this.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone in the US got a replacement phone from Nokia with IME > ...5050... (5051 or 5052)

Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

The funny thing is that (as I wrote in the other thread) the HSPA on/off option seems to have vanished, on this 808.

Ref the "fix" here

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA140286_en_US

is no longer possible.

Unless the HSPA switch has been moved, but I have been everywhere and can't find it.

Maybe it appears only if HSPA is actually active at the time? That would be incredibly stupid.

Advisor
rt_rt

peterh338

what IMEI did you get?  505192 or 5052Before you said "Later this week I should have the 192xxxx"

Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

The funny thing is that (as I wrote in the other thread) the HSPA on/off option seems to have vanished, on this 808.

Ref the "fix" here

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA140286_en_US

is no longer possible.

Unless the HSPA switch has been moved, but I have been everywhere and can't find it.

Maybe it appears only if HSPA is actually active at the time? That would be incredibly stupid.

This is very interesting! So here is a question. Is this disappearance of HSPA switch part of 1508 update?! Can anyone, who got 1508 check if it is gone? After more than half a year we still don't have a conclusive evidence if it is a hardware or a software bug. There were several theories - hardware, software, week battery, etc., but no prove one way or another. If Nokia took that switch out, what would this mean?!

Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

rt_rt wrote:

peterh338

what IMEI did you get?  505192 or 5052Before you said "Later this week I should have the 192xxxx"

Good point! peterh338 could you confirm your IME? Is it 5051 or 5052?! In your previous post you said you were expecting ...5051..., but later you said you received ...5052...Could it be just a typo?