Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Sage
peterh338

My phone has a UK product code. Check your messages.

I have not seen any firmware past 1507 but occassional updates appear.

The gallery/camera one can out a week or so ago. I can see the Gallery Send / Email function crashes a lot less often (when emailing photos).

The "telephony" update was 2-3 days ago. I cannot see any difference and the phone still crashes when HSPA is enabled. I thought it was less often but I don't think so. There are lots of factors which mask the issue e.g. it is a lot less likely to crash (maybe even never) if externally powered.

As one who originates from Czechoslovakia, I can well understand that Russian joke :smileyhappy: And many others of course, on that general topic...

Nokia moved a lot of people (about 1000) from Symbian work to Accenture in 2010 or so, and that is a significant resource still. Out of the 90M phones Nokia sold in the last qtr, about 10M were smartphones and of them over half IIRC were Symbian phones. Let's say the average wholesale price of a smartphone is $200, 5M of those is $1BN of sales. Nothing compared to Apple of course but still a huge amount of money, and superficially $1M per employee. Nokia may be as cynical as any other big company but they are not going to suddenly turn around and **** off all these Symbian users, because they want them to upgrade to Nokia's new phones, not the competition.

My guess, not based on any inside knowledge, is that Nokia probably know what the problem is, but it is a hardware issue which they cannot fix in any remotely economical way so their only option (not ethical but this is business) is to stonewall and whitewash until all affected phones are out of warranty, and also sell as many 808s as they can via e.g. Amazon where no real warranty is available anyway.

I have just tried to phone up two nearby Nokia service centres (London and Maidstone) and the 1st phone # is now disconnected and the other is not answering...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

peterh338 wrote:

The "telephony" update was 2-3 days ago. I cannot see any difference and the phone still crashes when HSPA is enabled. I thought it was less often but I don't think so. There are lots of factors which mask the issue e.g. it is a lot less likely to crash (maybe even never) if externally powered.

As one who originates from Czechoslovakia, I can well understand that Russian joke :smileyhappy: And many others of course, on that general topic...

So no 3g bug fix with "telephony update"... Still don't have this update here in US.

Long live Staropramen! - I am from Ukraine myself, but am vey happy to find some great Czech beer in US

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

My second Nokia 808, from amazon, via Excellent Mobile, no faults, no freezing, crashing or anything, for 305 pounds bargin.
Only the product code 059M9H5 which I think is for the South Asia, Australia etc market, but might be wrong. Only know that cause when plug it to computer via Nokia suite / maps it indicate theses country's first.
My original 808 sent back to NCP in Lancaster to be repaired. They did not have a clue about the 3.6g bug.
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

I have just spoken to a Nokia Care shop, UK, who told me

1) They have NOTHING on their database concerning this issue. That contradicts what Nokia have been claiming.

2) The IMEI I have, 35196505215xxxx, is a Malaysian phone which shows up as WARRANTY RESTRICTION and they would not touch it in any way whatsoever, even if I paid for it.

In common with just about everybody who has bought the 808 from any of the Amazon UK traders, after summer 2012, NO WARRANTY and NO FIX for this problem.

On a positive note, FWIW, disabling HSPA totally stops the "all black and locked up" crashes. The phone still crashes (up to a few times per hour) when running Nokia Drive but that is completely cured by powering it from external power, which one would generally do anyway, when using it for satnav in the car.

Shame on Nokia.

The best hope is that the hardware fix eventually leaks out so we can do it ourselves. The phone is easy to open and if it is just a single transistor/MOSFET then it would take only minutes to do.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

peterh338 wrote:

I have just spoken to a Nokia Care shop, UK, who told me

1) They have NOTHING on their database concerning this issue. That contradicts what Nokia have been claiming.

2) The IMEI I have, 35196505215xxxx, is a Malaysian phone which shows up as WARRANTY RESTRICTION and they would not touch it in any way whatsoever, even if I paid for it.

Which Nokia Care shop was that ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

ppww wrote:
My second Nokia 808, from amazon, via Excellent Mobile, no faults, no freezing, crashing or anything, for 305 pounds bargin.
Only the product code 059M9H5 which I think is for the South Asia, Australia etc market, but might be wrong.

It's also a Malaysian (MY) black version:

059M9H5: ndt_seap_apac1_my_black

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Do you work for Nokia?

I posted the names of two earlier. One of them has a defunct phone #.

It's also a Malaysian (MY) black version:

059M9H5: ndt_seap_apac1_my_black

Most Amazon UK 808 phones are Malaysian; the rest are I think mostly HK.

But Nokia warranty goes according to the IMEI, not the product code. You give them the IMEI and they tell you if the phone is under warranty. The product code merely controls which firmware updates are presented via Nokia Suite.

Presumably the reasons the mods here delete posts containing full IMEIs is in case somebody finds a way to change the IMEI and they could then bring their Malaysian 808s under warranty to get this fixed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

peterh338,

can you share the production date of your 5052?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

Do you work for Nokia?

I posted the names of two earlier. One of them has a defunct phone #.

No, I don't, I'm just trying to help, but obviously you prefer to rant in general instead of actually providing useful information. How am I supposed to guess that you are still on about the same Nokia Care Point which you have already contacted ? So out of two NCPs which you have tried to contact you have actually only spoken with one, and based on that you claim that no Nokia Care Point in the UK will ever touch a 808 ? That's quite a wild extrapolation I would think.

I have just called both NCPs you mentioned and their phone numbers as shown on the Nokia Support Page are correct and working.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
superH4

Ok guys, I'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow and buy a 808. A few questions remain unanswered though...
Do all 808s have the HSPA bug?
Is the 'units with the higher IMEI numbers don't have this bug' a myth?
Why is the black version more expensive? Could the colour have something to do with this (like with the iphone 4) maybe the white version is more likely 2 have this issue, or the other way around. Why is there a price difference of about €15 between black and white versions?
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

can you share the production date of your 5052?

I don't know where it is. Where would it be found?

So out of two NCPs which you have tried to contact you have actually only spoken with one, and based on that you claim that no Nokia Care Point in the UK will ever touch a 808 ? That's quite a wild extrapolation I would think.

I spoke to both. Both said they would need to contact Nokia for advice and get back to me. At the time I also phoned some others on the Nokia list but didn't get through to anybody with more than 2 braincells. Most of the repair shops are not really interested in any business. However I've had Nokias back to the 6210 and the repair shops were nearly all obnoxious; they were fed with guaranteed work by the system and could afford to stick a finger up to customers.

Neither of the two shops got back to me. ~2 days ago the first one's phone # was defunct. The Maidstone one (the man I had spoken to originally had apparently departed rather rapidly) told me they don't know anything about this problem and anyway, based on my IMEI, there is no warranty (the Nokia database flags it as "warranty restriction" and as a result they would not work on the phone even if I paid for the work.

Clearly there is zero point in pursuing the Nokia repair route in the UK, unless you have a UK-market 808 of which there will be very very few.

Yes.

Yes.

Here in the UK, the issue is more or less nonexistent IF you disable HSPA. It (or some form of it) still remains during satnav (Nokia Drive) even if HSPA=OFF and even if Maps Improvement is set to OFF (it always should be) unless the phone is externally powered, which in the car it normally would be. However the HSPA issue appears to also disappear totally under external power; I have spent way too much time and money trying to make it crash under external power and it never did.

Why is the black version more expensive? Could the colour have something to do with this (like with the iphone 4) maybe the white version is more likely 2 have this issue, or the other way around. Why is there a price difference of about €15 between black and white versions?

I don't know but it could be that the stocks come from different stockpiles, all in the Far East / Indonesia / etc.

Do be a bit careful. Some of the very low prices I found, down to £320, are firms which never enter into any communication. Their phone numbers are dead. I phoned a few. It's your risk; I would assume that somebody who doesn't communicate pre-sale could easily just do a runner. An 808 isn't 10 quid... Also any despatched from outside the EU are likely to get hit by import VAT... and not all sellers tell the truth about where the despatch is from. Especially on Ebay.

I got mine from Tech World Direct, which is a good firm that communicated well.

I am very happy with my 808. It wipes the floor with any pocket camera (including the £400 models), and smartphone-wise the functionality is brilliant.

I installed Opera Mobile (helps with a few websites which the Nokia browser doesn't handle), Profimail (a great email app with loads of functionality), Photobook (a Gallery prog which does loads and can upload to Photobucket), Cutebox (Dropbox uploader), AFtrack (moving map GPS which supports DIY maps), SymFTP (FTP client for transferring loads of pics or videos to the PC, about 5MB/second over wifi), MyExplorer (file browser which can also browse Windows PCs on the same LAN - really slick), CameraPro (an improved camera app which does a lot more than the Nokia app, including a 12MP mode and a decent zoom), Qcal Pro, Joikuspot (for wifi tethering to laptops etc), Screensnap (for screenshots), etc...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
superH4

Thank you for your quick reply and help Peterh338, So maybe the solution to place a FET/regulator which will 'up' the voltage by 0,2V on the radio chip's Vcc/Vdd? 

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

superH4 wrote:
Ok guys, I'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow and buy a 808. A few questions remain unanswered though...

- It would be very nice if you update after you do get the phone. Please mention your country and origin of 808
And if you don't have 3g bug for a reasonable time (couple of weeks), please list IMEI.

- Interesting question about the "black" version. My first instinct would be - it is a simple supply/demand issue. But I just opened US Amazon page to check. They sell 2 versions: white from Nokia with US warranty, and black sold by another company through Amazon. In reviews for white there are plenty of 3g bug complaints, but I could not find any mentioning of this problem for black version. People complain about all sort of things, but not a single person (out of 23 reviews) mentioned 3g bug.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

[ Edited ]

The production date should be printed on the white sticker on the end of the box

http://www.halfzerocan.com/wp-content/plugins/cdn/cache/4f929_nokia%252B808%252Bpureview%252Bphilipp...

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

So maybe the solution to place a FET/regulator which will 'up' the voltage by 0,2V on the radio chip's Vcc/Vdd? 

EXACTLY right.

In fact it would be trivial to make a step-up regulator which increases the battery voltage by 0.2V, for the whole phone.

A flyback switcher would have a negligible impact on the battery life - around 5%.

I say "by 0.2V" because a straight switcher would maintain 4.0V until the battery runs out, so you would get no warning on the phone's battery status indicator. The circuit would have to be done to generate a fixed 0.2V addition.

The problem is there is nowhere to put it. Maybe there is room inside the phone...

I think the mysterious fix, which some people claim to have had done in the Ukraine, or even the Czech Rep, which nobody has said what it is, which UK service centres deny any knowledge of, is probably the replacement of some SOT-23 MOSFET with one in the same package but a much lower Rds. 5 mins' work if you know where it is etc. The phone almost certainly uses MOSFETs to switch the power going to various subsystems and some of these drop too much voltage. Somebody has screwed up...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
superH4

I am going to analyse some high resolution images of the motherboard to see if i can locate and identify which type of sot-23 MOSFETs are present inside.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

Can those with 5052 phones post your production dates please?  Its right on the box or try this

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

My box shows

IMEI

WLAN MAC #

MATERIAL: A00005860

NV MY

barcode

That's it.

Of the two thread URLs above, neither contains anything apparently relevant to the 808. One of them is 10 years old. The codes I tried don't work.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

Thanks for trying.  Very odd the packaging varies from country to country. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fokrow

michaels wrote:

Hi everyone,

If you have been to an Nokia Care point with an 808 exhibiting these symptoms and your phone has not been fixed to your satisfaction, or you have been told that there is no knowledge of the symptoms, please let us know which NCP you tried and we can take up the matter with Care management in your country.

For those who have bought an 808 which comes from another country, please note:

• If you are in the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Turkey, and the phone was intended for sale in any country of that region, then your phone is covered by the European Limited warranty. You may be requested to provide a copy of the proof of purchase in order to get service.
  • If you are outside of the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Turkey and/or you phone was intended for sale in a country outside of that region, then we regret that warranty service is available only in the country in which the phone was intended for sale. However, you may request a non-warranty repair.

I've sent my phone in twice to the Nokia Care Center in Fort Worth, Texas, USA and both times they sent me new phones that had the exact same issue that the phone I sent in had.  I've held off on sending my phone back until I know they've either started fixing them or they've started sending back new units that work.

Please use plain text.