Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor
ppww

I will set up my original repired Nokia 808 over the weekend, to make sure everything is working satisfactory. I will report back any finding and attach Nokia repaired form. The phone was repaired by an Nokia centre in Ipswitch, which I know is one of two official Nokia repaired centre.
I even google part describe and can confirm 100% it's a capacitor part, plus I'm an electrical engineer.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

@Viado3g Yes there is a part number, 2611811. CHIPTCAP 150u M 10v 6#3.2#21.5
I even google it found an Nokia parts list which will state Capacitor.
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

That is a great result! A 150uF 10V capacitor...

Do you have the URL to a data sheet? A google on your description does not turn up anything. I assume CHIPTCAP should be CHIPCAP but still can't find it. It sounds like a tantalum capacitor, 6x3.2mm.

What is suprising is that they are replacing a component which normally never goes wrong. Is the P/N the original one or the replacement?

It would make sense, because a capacitor will help prevent the supply rail dipping during power transients caused by HSPA or 3G packets. But these tant caps virtually never go wrong; well not at room temperature.

p.s.  I googled Nokia and 2611811 and may have found it. Do you mean this one: http://gsmex.com/2611811-chiptcap-150u-m-10v-6x3-2x1-5,p,3204,100830.html

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Do you have any other information e.g. a circuit reference (e.g. C120)?

There probably aren't many 150uF 10V tant caps in the 808, but any info is worth having.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

Update on my original 808, it was sent for repair and still not working correctly, phone work ok on 3G mode, but enable hspa and no data can be transferred.. So it will be send back again, I did not look into the problem deeply cos I want the phone fix fully by Nokia.
I have attach Nokia repair form which indicate fault code, and part replacement or part failure.
I will update again when I get phone back.
Still no issues with my second imported 808
I will investigate which part of the circuit board the capacitor is locate on.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

Great to se some headway being made here! Happy Easter to everybody.
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Update on my original 808, it was sent for repair and still not working correctly, phone work ok on 3G mode, but enable hspa and no data can be transferred..

It's entirely possible that whoever did that repair didn't have a clue.

If they replaced a 150uF 10V tantalum capacitor with another one the same, that's 99.9% likely a waste of time, because these components almost never go wrong.

I've been in electronics since the 1970s and have never seen one fail EXCEPT

- if fitted backwards, in which case they blow up, by getting very hot, but how long they take to fail is very strongly related to the applied voltage versus the rated voltage, and in this case you are looking at probably 3V versus 10V, and also the temperature, and in this case it is just room temperature, and I would expect it to last weeks or possibly much longer. Also modern very high volume production equipment does machine-vision checks on such parts, so reverse installation is very unlikely

- if overvoltaged, which is highly unlikely with a 10V component in a phone where probably nothing runs on more than about 3V

What I might believe might be relevant to the HSPA-crashing issue is if they replaced say a 10uF capacitor with a 150uF capacitor. But the latter is not likely to fit onto the same PCB pads.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EDF30

with this right-hand micro-USB cable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058TW7YA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to a cigar-light-to-USB adaptor.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the tips.  Do you know if your 808 sees this cable as a charging cable and draws power at higher rate or not?   Reading some amazon usa reviews of cigarette lighter dual usb ports and also usb cables it appears some combos don't charge fast enough to keep up with Navigtion etc  Sometimes it is the cigarette lighter usb port and other times it is the usb cable used to connect to phone, not many Nokia owners so can't tell what would be best for an 808..

What cigarette lighter usb port model are you using?  

Here is a link to some reviews, but they talk about iphones and androids only. Scroll down for 1st review

Usb cables

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYBCAY/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

cigarette lighter usb port

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-2-1Amps-charger-Designed-Android/product-reviews/B00622AG6S/ref=sr_1_...

Thanks for any assistance!

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Do you know if your 808 sees this cable as a charging cable and draws power at higher rate or not? 

The USB cable should be nothing to do with this, as it merely passes the two power wires through.

The difference might be in the cigar-lighter-USB adaptor. Mine actually packed up on one of the two outputs so I will throw it away. I have ordered the "genuine Nokia" (to the extent of how much stuff on Amazon isn't fake) version.

My 808 charges fully in well under an hour and has no trouble staying charged during satnav.

However the same (half duff) adaptor would not charge an Iphone4 at all, FWIW.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EDF30

[ Edited ]

Peter thanks for reply.  When your phone in landscape mode (horizontal) the usb port would be to right side correct?  When you have the right angle micro usb cable plugged in then the cable hangs down correct?   Sorry for all the questions, waiting for my 808 to arrive and trying to figure out a dashboard, windshield, or rear view mirror mount that  will allow me to use 808 to shoot video while driving, also use for navigation, horizontal mount and trying to sort out the right cigarette usb charger and cable.  Hope you understand, just want to know if the right angle micro usb cord you have hangs down from the right when phone screen is facing me, camera is pointed thru windshield, phone in horizontal position. Just trying to be sure if I need a right angle or left angle micro USB cord.

Any tips on a car mount that will not obstruct the camera?

Sorry for the OT, I am hoping that Nokia or someone figures out the solution to 3g data bug soon.  I'm buying the 808 mainly for photo/video and navigation capabilities, but want it to function as a cell phone too!

Please use plain text.
Amend

I changed my dataplan few days ago and because of that had some downtime in my mobile internet.
Whenever during that downtime I tried to connect to the internet using my 3G connection, the phone would hang up and boot.
Could it be that the phone freezes, when it cant connect to the 3G network due to somekind of authentication error coming from the providers side?
Before this my phone has been quite stable for the past few months, I can only recall it rebooting once or twice because of 3G bug, allthough HSPA is always on. During last year, the phone was more prone to booting. Now that I have my dataplan on again, it is also working fine. It usually starts acting up when im travelling. One thing to note is that I have always had quite slow 2Mbit/s dataplan and I also keep my mobile data on 24/7.

Also, sometimes my phone refuses to connect to any WLAN network, and usually when this happens my phone will freeze shortly after, if I dont reboot it myself to fix the problem.

My phone is black model bought last July from Finland.
IMEI: 35196505012XXXX
Product code 059M960
FW is 1507

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dopple916

When in landscape mode the connection is on the left not the right, and I have found that unless the plug is at least  1000 Ma, it doesn't charge properly. Also get a plain cable not a stretch one. They are a lot less stressful for the connector and a lot easier to use. I got mine from Amazon.de as the quality seems to be better especially the windscreen mounts. Mine is rock solid.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EDF30

ok thanks, sorry won't have phone until this weekend.  I have read lots of reviews of usb car chargers and have found one that will let phone pull enough power to charge properly.  Looking at amazon usa I have found 2 car mounts that look usable for 808

Nokia CR 123

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-02736C7-Universal-Holder-CR-123/dp/tech-data/B00A7MEL92/ref=de_a_smtd

and a cheaper one

http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Compact-Windshield-Dashboard-Blackberry/dp/B00AZ8K1J2/ref=cm_cr_pr_prod...

what model car mount are you using?  Do you have a link?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dopple916

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I bought a mount virtually identical to the one above, but branded differently and came with the THB-BURY air vent mount as described earlier. The whole thing works perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

ppww thanks for the information! You might have answered that already, but where did you get your 2nd 808 from ?

Well, DO NOT buy this one for your car: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622AG6S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

for some reason even if i have to phone charging with it, it still restarts..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

Hi Vlado. I purchase my second 808 from amazon via Excellent mobile, the phone works perfectly witb no faults whatsoever. NCP will not repair, if there is any problems with the phone, due to the phone being outside Europe. ( imported ). Great price of 305 pounds, was worth the risk.
Still waiting on my orginal 808
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

Thank you! Is that on amazon UK ? They might be out of stock now.. I don't see one listed from that seller on there.

Anyway, its nice to know that there some units out there that are working propelry!

I looked further back in the thread, and you mentioned that your new phones has "5252" in the imei ? That must be a very recent batch.. if those numbers actually do conrespond to production date in any meaningful way.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

A few weeks ago I bought (amazon.co.uk trader) a 35196505215xxxx. So a "5252" (assuming that's not a typo) is VERY recent.

That phone was a Malaysian one, with a Malaysian product code.

As I've often said, if Nokia ever fix this, they will do it QUIETLY. They are not going to tell anybody the IMEI at which it was fixed, otherwise their resellers are going to go crazy.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

Sorry IMEI number is 35196505225####. Yes Malaysia phone, but to be honest most people would just like a good working phone. I feel everything else about the phone is good, but 3.5g bug letting many people down. Nokia must have fix the problem, but they have made a large batch of faulty phones, which would cost to much to have them replace.
@vlado Excellent Mobile must have sold out from amazon UK, just keep checking.
Please use plain text.