Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

C5-00 battery problem

Contributor
nsiva007

C5-00 battery problem

Hi,

I bought a nokia c5-00 this January , initially the battery backup was too good (roughly 3-4 days), now suddenly its decreased to 1 or 1.5 days.. I'm not using packet data,Fm or anything else running in background, not even music.. My usage is around 100 texts/day and some 20 min talk, that's all.. If my phone can't last for even 2 full days with this normal usage then its too bad.

I installed energy profiler app and under than in Settings > Battery capacity > This phone .. It reads only 946mAh but my battery is a 1050 mAh battery.. Its original nokia battery .. Why is it so?? Is this an indication of any problem??

Also only the first bar in battery indicator takes time to go otherwise all other bars are going off in a few hours..!

Professor

Re: C5-00 battery problem

so two things. Firstly, all rechargable batteries loose max capacity over time and have a maximum life of about 18months to two years.

Secondly, Nokia charging bars have traditionally dropped one bar when half the battery capacity has gone, then the remaining bars cover the other half of the battery capacity.

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

First off, while the maximum battery lifespan is 18mos-2 years, li-ion batteries usually has a limit of 600 charge-discharge cycles before the max capacity starts to deteriorate, and heating the battery (leaving it plugged on while not charging) can shorten it. This is not exactly over charging, but the phone itself heats up due to the electrical flow.

You can try calibrating the battery, but I would doubt that it would do much good.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Contributor
nsiva007

can you please tell me how do i calibrate the battery?? and charging procedures ??

Now the energy profiler is reading 952 mAh slightly increased from 946 mAh previously.. is this normal or should it read 1050 mAh?? is this the prob with battery or app??

now yesterday i went to nokia care point , they juzz re installed the software with their version (they said its different from us updating through Ovi suite...i wonder what :smileyvery-happy: )

Anyway its performing fairly good now..

my usage in these two days - 40 min of voice calls, 250 texts (outgoing) , 30MB GPRS usage, installed some apps..! still 3 bars remaining. the phone was mostly in power save mode with dim light. now is it normal battery performance?? or am i expected to get more??
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I wouldn't know normal battery performance since I don't have the same phone. Calibrating the battery is simply just draining the battery, charging it while the phone is in turned off, repeating the procedure again.

Nokia Care Centers may have differences in the firmware they install because sometimes they install generic firmware, not regional/country versions.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Contributor
nsiva007

thanks .. I'll calibrate the battery..! how frequently the calibration should be done?? if I calibrate will my battery attain its maximum storage capacity??

And is it normal for energy profiler to read like that??
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

No it wont. Nothing can return your battery to its original capacity if it has started to wear down. Calibrating the battery will only ensure that the phone is reading the capacity correctly, as it may have been signalling low battery too early and some such. Normally, a Li-ion battery should have a life span of 1-2 years, depending on the quality. Plus, the more worn out the battery is, the faster it would drain. Its a bit normal for a very heavy user to have battery capacity issues around 6-10 months after first bought due to the excessive number of charge discharge cycles done.
Contributor
nsiva007

Hmm ok now that my battery capacity is juzz 946 mAh instead of 1050 mAh should i get it replaced?? My battery is still under warranty period.. i didn't expect such a thing so soon ..
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

It wont get replaced by warranty. Its a normal battery behavior for the capacity to go down after some time. Its not because anyone did something wrong.
Contributor
nsiva007

Okay .. !

stan_pas

I used to have the same problem with short battery life of my Nokia C5-00 which bothered me for almost a year. I found in internet an application called Energy Profiler v1.23 which measures the consumed energy and shows it in a graphic. It is really awesome. Then I spotted that my phone consumes about 0.22W/h power for a period of 15s every 3 minutes. For comparison reasons it consumes about 0.09W/h when the display is active. So after some research of the applications I found out that this power consumption comes from the automatic updates of the software. By default the setting is ON. The path to it is:
Home->Settings->SW Update->Options->Settings->Auto-check for updates->Off
Here we go! After this setting is set to "off" my phone is working for 2 weeks with a single charge and it consumes less than a 0.01W/h in standby mode.  

Contributor
eiledon

The C5-00 battery life is nothing like the promised 600+ hours, in practise it's under 100 hours (=less than 1/6th of the promised duration!) when not using the phone for ANYTHING, i.e. just keeping it on the table in standby. This is with no extra power consuming apps on (such as Bluetooth, GPS, email, etc. - easily confirmed from the phone's menu "open apps"), and with full network bars. Actually using the phone (a couple of SMS and/or short calls a day, at most) cuts down the battery life markedly from the above.

The C5-00 has been like this from the start, and the performance did not improve at all after first replacing the phone by the reseller, and later also trying with a new battery. I find it highly unlikely that I would have been so unlucky to get two flawed/malfunctioning phones and/or batteries. Phone firmware is the latest 071.005 (upgraded last summer, but it had no effect on power consumption). At first the above suggestion of Automatic updates seemed promising, so I checked but it's set to 'off' already.

So either there's some serious

a) flaw in the phone firmware (or phone components?) causing extra power consumption

b) truly subpar quality of the BL-5CT batteries (if so, does Nokia have any product quality control at all?!)

Advisor
pucko1

Also I have noticed this prob w my almost new C5-00.2. The battery meter drops to the first bar, even though it's been fully charged just a few hrs before. This is obv a softw bug, but I've found that restarting the phone readjusts the meter at once- very strange!