Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C5 Memory full, but where do I delete the file...

niels_bom

C5 Memory full, but where do I delete the files?

I've had my C5 for a month now and my phone's memory is full.

No biggie sure, but I "analyse" what is using the phone's memory and I get all small folders until I come across the following:

-11MB Messages

-4473KB MIDP-apps

-20MB SIS-apps

-32 MB Other files

And I haven't got a clue how I can clean out all these files.

Messages: I've got maybe a couple hundred plain txt messages (SMS). I use an email client to send photos, but it's POP and hasn't got a "sent" folder, so nothing to purge there afaik.

MIDP-apps, how can I find which ones are installed on my phones memory and can I move them?

SIS-apps, same deal.

"Other files" what? Where are these files?

If anyone can help,  thanks in advance, this is all kind of puzzling...

Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: C5 Memory full, but where do I delete the files?

SIS apps are normal Symbian applications and midp refers to Java applications.

If you have been installing stuff from Ovi store then you must have been installing those to C drive (the internal memory which is quite small) rather than to the memory card.

You'll need to uninstall those applications and reinstall to the memory card. Application Manager will show you the applications that are installed, how big they are, and they will show an icon for which memory they are installed to.

Final thing is if you have been using the browser a lot then clear the cache.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakivi

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mattco

I have the same problem and have followed all of those steps. I have no applications installed, no messages in my email or text folders, cleared browser cache and still only have 10mb free. I think the phone is storing messages, email or text on the phone even though it is set to store them on the card and they are getting lost in the "OTHER FILES" folder. This is happening to several people, and the only response so far is to follow the steps listed above, and that is not solving the problem. What good is a smart phone if I can't actually use it for email and the web without the memory filling up so fast? I want my money back, these phones do not function as advertised.

Please use plain text.
niels_bom

Thanks for all the reactions!
I found out the following:
My POP-mail account, where I don't receive any mail at all but I do send around 4 MB per day, was one of the culprits who was eating up diskspace. But the strange thing is, that mailbox did not have a "Sent"-folder. Just the inbox-folder which was always empty. So I could not empty this folder. Deleting the entire mailbox did the trick (25 MB freed up).

I'll try some other stuff now.

Please use plain text.
niels_bom

I did the following:
Messages from Inbox, Drafts and Sent folders in Messaging
-I deleted my mailbox. Filemanager says only 69Kb messages, I think those are just the SMS.
Retrieved e-mail messages from the phone memory
-I deleted my mailbox.
Saved Web pages. Clear the web browser cache to free some memory.
I cleared the cache on both my browsers. So that's the built-in browser and Opera Mini.
I deleted all "saved pages" in Opera, which amounted to 2 MB. I don't know if there's a setting for Opera to save it's data on the memory card.
Saved images: 0 kB
Saved videos: 0 kB
Saved sound files: 32 kB
Contact information
38kB
Calendar notes
Just 19kB
Downloaded application packages:
MIDP apps: I deleted every downloaded app I had (wasn't that much), Filemanager says 0 kB now.
SIS-apps : still 19MB, don't know where that's from

So my two remaining questions are:

1: How can I find out which SIS-apps are eating 19MB of space on the phone-memory?

2: What is in "Other files"? (Nobody above has answered that question)

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iosula

Since the first day I got my Nokia C5 phone, I began experiencing strange problems with it. During browsing the Internet, it suddenly shuts down and I have to turn it back on to use it. With time, these crashes became more and more frequent (at least 2-3 times a day) and now they occur not only while browsing the Net, but also while receiving calls etc... In addition to this, when it crashes, I cannot turn it back on for at least 30-40 mins after the crash, and oftenly on startup it displays odd messages like "Phone start-up failed. Please contact your retailer" or "Memory full. Unable to continue"... I am not able to press any of the keys then and in 1-2 minutes, the phone switches off, and I cannot turn it back on for at least 10-15 mins after that. That is VERY strange, because I have plenty of memory available both on the phone and on the memory card.

pm for solution

Please use plain text.
Professor

To find out which applications are on your C- drive, you need to do the following from the Manu:

Applications - Installations - App. Mgr - Installed Apps.

If you scroll down, the manager clearly shows which applications are installed to Memory card (shown by a picture of a card next to the app). Everything else is stored to C Drive.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
haridaspal

i dont know exactly.. but other files contain :
thumbnail view of pic and vid
music list
or other stuff of memory card's small version..
i m not a mobile pro.. but after i used symbian OS.. i think this would be there.. and these are not removable.. even if u delete the original files in memory card...
if my guess is wrong then PM me... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
jarmusch

[ Edited ]
I have the same problem.. I removed almost everything,including the useful applications to be able to use web. (63 MB Memory in use,1 MB MIDP-apps, 3 MB SIS-apps, 59 MB Other files) And only 5 MB free space..nothing left to remove now..only caches,but the funny thing; you cannot clear the caches since you will not be able to open the web when there is not enough memory.. When it is under 3 MB,it even doesn't let me to send SMS..!! I guess,there is no answer from Nokia about the -other files- or to reduce -memory in use-.. may be they should warn the people not to buy this phone anymore..As Mattco said above,what is the point to use the phone if we can't surf in the web..when the memory full,even texting is not allowed in this -so called- smart phone.. is there any way to ask our money back?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
haridaspal

hey dude.. try a full format.after taking back up. it will reset the phone memory to factory setting.. i.e almost 0mb.. have fun :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
raiday

Hello, in my opinion there is no need to reset your phone and the solution is quite simple.

For detailed information pleas read this thread and let me know if it works for you as well:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?213971-Nokia-5800-memory-full-other-files-fin...

AS

Please use plain text.
jarmusch

Thanks raiday,but there is no option in C5 menu to select the web feeds..I found web feeds options,then the only possibilities are Export web feeds and import web feeds..no select all option unfortunately..
Please use plain text.
jarmusch

having a back-up saved 10MB,but it runs up quickly..I hope someone can resolve this problem soon..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sunil97

Hi I also do have same problem, I also know the cause but not able to solve the peoblem. there is a system created log file "CMLog.txt" in my Nokia C-05 its Size is arround 32 MB. I tried to delete this file but not able to delete due to access problem, I f u can delete that file u will able to solve memory problem

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dariusdragalina

Hy everybody, today i experienced the same problem : memory full, please delete some files. 47 Mb Other Files. I deleted the Web Feeds from the browser and now i have 37 Mb Other Files. I just want to ask you if the facebook application does save photos you are looking at in some kind of catch or something because after a 30 min on the facebook app the memory full message appeared for the first time. Ive`d look into the facebook app settings but i didn`t found anything to delete. I think this application shoud have some catch because when you start the app, all the photos from profile and friends profiles are loaded very quickly. ( Facebook app is in my case maybe you use something else ) Thanks alot and please excuse my bad english :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sandidy

did you manage to solve your problem? cos i'm facing the same thing!!!!
Please use plain text.
monte

hey guys i am also facing the similliar problem and my memory is slowly coming down day by day. initially my free memory was 28mb now it is come down to 12mb. i have no files installed on the phone memory, everything is on the memory card. after browsing i always clear the cache before i exit the browser. i have set the ovi to install all the files to memory card. still this problem seems to be there is it with some specific c5 handsets or what coz my friend has a c5 which does not have this problem. and one small info what is this "other files" and why does it take some much memory. how can we free it. if any nokia personal is reading this please do solve my query and do the needful. waiting for a positive reply.............

thank you in advance......

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dariusdragalina

Hy, I haved resolved the problem in a strage way :smileyhappy: After endless search on the Internet a finnaly found a code: " *#7370# – This is one of the most important secret code as it let’s you hard reset your phone. It’ll bring the software to it’s original state, while deleting all your files. So you should take backup of your files before doing hard reset. The default lock code is 12345. " Be aweare that this code erases all your data from the phone even the contact list. I strongly recomand you a backup of the phone before trying this code. I hope that this will help you. [ And again please excuse my bad English :smileyhappy: ]

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tom735

I have bought the Shazam app. I installed it on my sd card.

And if I do the format, is it possible to reinstall shazam without paying again?

Please use plain text.