Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C7 keeps restarting

Advisor
kevh55

I would support Snax... comments re software and faulty devices.

For info mine has gone back to the supplier and was made in Hungary.

Are other phones that freeze or re-start coming from Hungary or is the problem not necessarily linked to the manufacturing site.

If not than I think we can safely assume software issues.

Kev

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

I didn't look to see where that faulty one was made. I will check the next one tho'

Please use plain text.
Sutrauka1

So I visited carphone warehouse again :smileyhappy: they changed my phone to new one (I showed him ovi map trick, and no more questions ) and it works perfectly :smileyvery-happy: 
I think problem was with device, because first thing what I did with new one checked ovi maps and other stuff and it works.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
absajk

Hi Sutrauka1 , What was that map trick that you showed?

I'm also facing the same restarting issue when using the map...

Please let me know...

thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
humpty_numpty

I think he meant that he showed the shop guy the phone crashing when going into maps.

My C7 arrived 2 days ago, so far opinion is that it's a great phone, good features, nice and slick, well built... BUT... as you can probably guess by the fact I'm on this thread, I'm also having major issues with it.

1.  Random Restarts.  Phone just left on the desk to it's own devices next to me whilst working on the computer, and I kept noticing the screen go blank and the phone restart itself.  Just in case anybody is wondering, I have no widgets "online" , e.g. facebook  - I don't have the widget on any home screen.  And I did have emails set to download automatically every hour, and turned this feature off now and that seems to have sorted a few of the restarts, but it still does restart randomly.  I have since done a factory reset, which didn't get rid of my contacts or anything (a nice feature) and this didn't help.

2.  Missed Call/Message etc. Notification Widget.  Well, put simply, it didn't work.  I had missed calls and a couple of texts but the widget didn't notify of any of them - a Google search later, it appears this has been a problem with several Nokia's in the past, seemingly still an issue! Widgets that were on that home page were the date & time, email, music player, and a shortcut to 4 apps.

3.  Screen Not Turning Off.  Most weirdly, all of a sudden the phone decided that it didn't want to turn the screen off to blank anymore.  Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that I turned off the clock screensaver to both save battery and because I wondered whether it was causing the random restarts, so now when I lock the phone, it is supposed to go blank - and it is this feature which doesn't happen, you lock the phone and the screen stays on... permanently.  So far longest I waited was about 15 minutes before getting annoyed and turning the phone off/on... which didn't cure it!

So, I have now done a firmware reinstall using Nokia Software Updater (which informed me there is no newer firmware but gave the option to reinstall it if I wanted to - which I have).  So far, this has rectified both the missed call widget not working and the blank screen on lock now works.  However, I have not dared to put the widgets that I had before back onto the home screen, in case the same problem comes back again - it's worth pointing out that I disabled ALL widgets on the home screen, except for the missed notifications widget and this did not sure the problem - only the factory reset did + the firmware reinstall.

Oddly enough, the firmware reinstall did not get rid of any of my installed apps, settings, home page widgets, music, files etc. - I believe this is because the Symbian^3 firmware is installed onto a seperate partition of the memory to the applications and your own files - a nice touch compared to older Nokias (I'm coming from the E71 but a shame I had to find that out at all, if you get my meaning...

So, all in all, for the moment - as of about 15 minutes ago since the firmware reinstall - the phone is working as it was intended to by Nokia... but I'm almost certain that in a day, or perhaps a couple of hours of use, one of these problems will pop their ugly heads up.  If they do, then I'll have no choice but to send the phone back, no matter how much I want to, and do, like it because I'll be at the literal end of things that are within my power to do using the standard Nokia tools.  I cannot imagine that the few people who have written on here are the only ones in the same situation, I just imagine we're the very small tip of the enormous iceberg that is sure to make news headlines in some part of the world some time soon at the frankly appalling job Nokia have managed to do in releasing what is quite simply the buggiest piece of software I've ever used.  My previous phone was a Nokia E71, which, after a couple of firmware updates, is probably the most capable and reliable phone I've owned. 

It is therefore extremely weird that despite a few name changes, a few items moved about, plus the touch screen ability and the widget, there's actually precious little change in the software - so how come there are SO many bugs and actually pretty blatant and simple ones at that which I cannot imagine would not have been noticed by any software development testing team.  That said, and in defence of Nokia, they have catered for an extraordinary amount of countries and derivatives of the software - but - so have all the other softwares, iphone and android and any others.

However, I do wonder whether the operators who add their own settings and whatnot might have mucked it all up which might be why the bugs are only appearing after release??

Quick note:

My phone came via ordering an upgrade with Hutchison Three UK

The phone was made in Hungary as indicated on the sticker under the battery.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
absajk

Why Nokia is not responding to this problem...Apparently there have been enough instances and noise made by the customers.

Is Nokia listening?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

humpty_numpty, I am sorry to hear that you are having similar problems. I hope you can get them sorted out quickly.

I would like to query one point though... you said that apart from a few changes that you mentioned that little has changed with the code. I believe that you could be incorrect there. AFAIK the Symbian ^3 code has been significantly rewritten to make it possible to do many of the new things you speak of. I don't think that Symbian ^3 is a simple upgrade... it is more akin to a rewrite.

All in all, I don't think it is as bad as you suggest. Yes, there are a few issues that should really have been sorted before launch but it is possible that some of these are hardware issues so I wouldn't necessarily attribute bad coding to all of them.

Some people have returned their phone for a replacement and they have not had the issues so it is very possible that MOST of the issues are hardware related. I get my replacement tomorrow so I will post here whether it is better or not.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

Nokia are listening... they just aren't talking.

If you go to the All About Symbian forum at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96993

There you will see that Tim Allen, Product Manager for the C7 at Nokia, has posted.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
humpty_numpty

Thanks, I too hope the issues are sorted as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong, although the post was all about the issues and errors with the phone, I think it's a great phone - errors aside.  I did choose it over the competition after all, and that was because I think the spec and design are about bang on for my own use.

I think I'm going to have to go for a replace/return as it's just crashed again, this time when opening Crazy Birds game - but after the restart which that caused, it opened fine and no problem.

One other issue that I have noticed, although I am unsure what to make of it, is the screen auto lighting - done by the fron facing sensor - seems to be a bit erratic.  Sometimes the phone is dim and other times it is bright.  When in a call, with it up to my ear, in the corner of my eye I could see the screen brightness changing - it caught my eye because I wondered if I had another incoming call or text message, it was changing brithness that much.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that there aren't many changes to Symbian^3 over the older versions behind the scenes - I meant that on the face of it they're basically the same functionality, except the touch elements.  I wasn't aware it was mroe of a rewrite, I thought it would have been more a case of additions to the old system for touch functionality especially, as well as changing elements to make them more attractive and intuitive.  That said, knowing the old system it did take me a fair while to find a few settings that had moved position in the menu system.

Anyway, I think I too will return the phone and hope that it is just a hardware fault - although it's not a great sign for Nokia if they are producing some [read many] faulty devices and ought to get onto this right away.

Any thoughts on the possibility that it could be the operator software mucking things up at all, even though it doesn't look like that's the case?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

I have my replacement already! That is just 5 days from returning it to Nokia.

I have used it constantly for about an hour and it hasn't restarted at all. I realise it might be too early to be certain that it is fixed but it is looking good.

I will post again if I have any other issues but in the mean time, if I have not posted then it is safe for you to assume that all is well.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
humpty_numpty

@ Snaxmuppet - That's good to hear, sounds like it might have been a hardware fault with the first phone you had then, as you suspected it might be, after all.

I've booked my phone for a replacement as well, due to take place on the Monday.  However, I have since found out something quite weird/strange that points to either two things...

1.  Since booking the replacement, I decided to use my old Nokia E71 phone until the replacement C7 arrives, but I'd already wiped it so I thought I'd use the Nokia Sync feature to put back all the contacts etc. from the C7 to the E71.  Started up the C7 in offline mode, since my SIM is now back in the E71, and did the sync (which took a long time but completed fine).

2.  The weird bit is that, since being in offline mode with no SIM card in, it hasn't crashed once and is behaving as it should.  I've tried everything in my power to make it crash again, I opened about 15 applications all at the same time and no crash, even with flicking the lock on and off as well - nothing, behaved perfectly well (and I was impressed it could handle all those apps at the same time - since they included Opera Mobile, Maps, a tonne of built in stuff like contacts, dictionary, Angry Birds game and so on).

3.  So, my somewhat early conclusion is that the above results point to either a hardware fault with the actual SIM card, the SIM card reader hardware on the phone or the software controlling the SIM card and using it in Symbian^3

I think I'll still go ahead with the hardware replacement, since it's all booked anyway, but will ask to be supplied with a replacement SIM card if I have any new troubles with the replacement.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

That is VERY interesting. I was thinking of replacing my card also as it is over 2 years old and has been in many phones. I wonder if my problem was sim card related???

I am glad you are getting a replacement phone as mine is behaving itself beautifully. I love this phone and if it continues to behave it will defininitely be my best phone ever.

So I will get my replacement sim card and hope that I don't have any more probs.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
humpty_numpty

[ Edited ]

Just been playing about with the phone some more, I decided to try the phone with a SIM in it, so put the brand new pay&go SIM card that came with the C7 (as part of 3's marketing ploy to try and get you to give it to a friend/relative) and the phone is working beautifully (so far) with that in as well as previously mentioned in Offline mode.

I have tried every trick in the book to try and make it crash as it would have done when it was crashing with my SIM in it, opened loads of programs (got up to 20 this time!) and the phone was working perfectly, this included playing music, the camera on, internet going, maps open and online, opera mobile open and online via WAN, also stuck as many widgets as I could onto the 3 home screens and turned them all online - although they didn't work too well as the Pay&Go SIM doesn't have any credit on it - the missed call app seemed to be fine too as I called the number from my E71 and it worked as it should, unlike before.

So, looks like the old SIM card could well have been the cause of all the frustration with my C7 - although the one thing that the phone annoyingly still does (perhaps a hardware fault) is the screen brightness going dim/bright quite frequently and randomly despite it not moving, nor the light/shadow around it.

A quick phone call to 3 again and they've informed me that Ive been using the same SIM card since 2004 (!!!) and that if it is faulty, which it looks like it is, at least in the C7, I can get a replacement from the 3 store for free, (a non faulty SIM replacement is £5 in store).

I could also have ordered the replacement via the phone, but he said that would take about 3 working days and the old card would be deactivated about an hour after the phone call, so he recommended that I go to the shop and get an instant replacement (although he mentioned it taking 24 hours to become active).

Although this is very premature to say...

I hope that helps out some people, if they have the same problems as faced in this thread and it turns out they're using a really old SIM card like I am - and perhaps it gives Nokia some respite from what looked like dodgy hardware & software - although it is worth stating that this has not been ruled out, it does at least appear for my phone that it could well have been the SIM card causing the issues, and not the phone itself.  I'm tempted to send them a bill for my R&D if I am right hehe

Please use plain text.
Advisor
absajk

Hi,

It would be great if anybody on this thread can confirm the problem was due to some hardware and not a software issue?

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

[ Edited ]

Yes... my restarts was definitely hardware IMO.

I have no problems at all now.

Please use plain text.
Employee
hypotenuse

Hi absajk

I'm afraid it's too early to be completely sure.  Any units which have failed in the field and are returned to Nokia will be fully analysed to establish the cause.  There are insufficient returned devices at this stage.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
absajk

Thanks Hypotenuse...

The reason why I was asking was that I'm also facing the same issue with my C7 and I thought it was a firmware issue and would get rectified by the next release.

Today is the 7 day after which I have bought my C7 and if it is a hardware issue, I would need to rush to the store from where I bought this for a replacement:-)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

I would recommend getting it replaced. It fixed mine.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
absajk

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Today evening I went to the dealer with my almost 1 week old C7 asking for a replacement. My phone is completely dead now, it does not even respond to my restart attempts, even if it does, it just shows the "NOKIA" flash screen and dies from there, not even the handshakes appear.

The dealer asked me to show it to the Nokia Center and if they are not able to fix it, he would order for a replacement. Unfortunately it was a holiday for Nokia Care Center  today. So I have to wait till tomorrow to show my phone to the doctors at Nokia Care.

Lets see what they say. 

hypotenuseEmployee,  Do you think Nokia Care Center would have a solution for this ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Employee
hypotenuse

Hi absajk

It's difficult to say whether the Care centre would have a fix for it, but if you suspect your device is faulty I would recommend returning it.

Please use plain text.