Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Calendar disappeared from home screen on 5800 ...

Advisor
drhok

Calendar disappeared from Start View on 5800 XpressMusic after firmware upgrade

[ Edited ]

I upgraded my 5800 XpressMusic recently from 21.0.025 to 30.0.011.

Sometime around then, the calendar disappeared from my start view. I still see the quick start buttons like before, but not the list of tasks and appointments.

Of course I can still invoke the calendar with a few, umm, clicks, but I find it very convenient to see all my tasks for today at first glance, so I want it back.

But how do I do it? I spent some time in the settings menu trying to get it back, but without success.

I am not entirely sure that the new firmware is to blame; I might have changed some settings by mistake.

Message Edited by drhok on 13-Aug-2009 11:03 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Calendar disappeared from home screen on 5800 XpressMusic

[ Edited ]

No, this is clearly a bug in the Nokia firmware. I've seen this happen on the 21.05.025 firmware and now it re-appeared on the new 30.0.011 firmware. The bug is really frustrating since I use my calendar every day and so far the only way to bring it back is to revert to factory settings and restore your backups.

I'm not sure if this is is the exact way to reproduce this yet, but the calendar disappeared on me yesterday on the new firmware when I went to browse if I have "anything happening" the next weekend, hit an empty page and returned to the home page -> bang: calendar gone... it's also gone from the home screen settings menu. I can't describe my rage to see the calendar gone... again.

I hope someone at nokia reproduces this problem and finds out a good fix for it since i'm really getting tired of formatting this phone to get the calendar to show on the home page

Message Edited by sipu on 06-Sep-2009 09:50 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

How do you revert to factory settings? I thoght I had done that, but the calendar didn't come back!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
the_second

[ Edited ]

I thought just the alarm clock that alarms late is the problem in FW v30.

But in this case, also the calendar had.

That's not all, it is now disappeared!

Message Edited by the_second on 09-Sep-2009 05:03 AM
Please use plain text.
haukilahti

Same thing happened to me today. It is related to the new SW 30.0.011 and is a puzzle to me - why in earth does Nokia have such a magnitude of problem that effects negatively user experience? The reason for OTA SW update is that these kind iof bugs can be solved instantly.

When do we get the new version with calendar visible in the front page?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

from what i recall your only option to get it back is to do a reformat use option 2 if you feel like doing it and doing all the back up. 

With all these operations I recommend you TAKE OUT MEMORY CARD and DO A BACK UP OF YOUR STUFF!!!

NOTE: In front of the hash key ( #) there is also a STAR key that people often miss and state that the code does not work.

1.. *#7780# - Restore factory settings - resets all the settings to the default ( you will not lose any data) Make sure you back up your data as you will lose all of it when you perform option 2 or 3 on this list. The default code for ALL operations listed here is 12345.

2.*#7370# - Reformat your phone (out of the box, tho keep in mind that most newer nokia phones at least n series, e series and s60 based phones have udp - user data preservation so not ALL data may be lost. still it is a good idea to always do a back up of your stuff.)3. This you perform as a last resort. Nothing else is working.If the phone is not showing any activity, proceed with hard formatting , turn off your phone, hold the following buttons while pressing the power button. (the default code is 12345)

3. hard reset - hold the following buttons * (star key), 3 (number button) and talk/green key. turn on the phone and do not release those buttons until you see the Nokia boot up screen. once you feel the phone power up you can let go off the power button while still holding all three buttons ( for Nokia 5800XM - use the following buttons to do a hard reset, /GREEN/RED/CAMERA keys pressed all at once on power up. this will only work on 5800's that have firmware version 20... and up. ) For Nokia N97 (unofficial version but works) is SHIFT /SPACE BAR / BACKSPACE while holding the power button. Again do not let go until you see the handshake screen.

If these codes are not working the only thing for you to do is contact your Nokia Care Center/Service for assistance. 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Doing the reset - option 2 got my calendar back.  I restored data from the backup.

Thanks for your help everyone.

David

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

you are welcome, glad you got it sorted :smileywink:
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

This doesn't solve the whole problem, though. This bug can re-appear at any stage and you'll have to go through that same caboodle again.

I've done it twice and I'd really hate doing it again just because of some stupid programming error.

Nokia fix this bug!

Please use plain text.

The backup  , #*7370 , restore scenario as suggested seems to help. Yey. Calendar is back.  For me, it is very critical issue if the calendar isn't visible and I don't get those alarms of meetings.

I'm just wondering that did I receive English language pack on top of the original languages to the phone? Probably just bad memory of mine . The software pack date was 29.6. so probably some midsummer bug has entered to the software. :smileywink:   (I'm trying to be positive, things happen.) But seriously, this must be fixed in next software package, please, please.  Or just give some fix appication to Ovi store if you cannot provide full update of whole phone software.

KTHXBAI .

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nah, this bug has been there for several software revisions. I was hoping 30 would finally fix it but no... :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

@sipu OK, thanks. My new phone, so haven't seen this. Tried to do today the full resynch in MfE and same thing happened. I'll get very familiar with content copier if this continues...argh.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Okay i'm going to re-cap the issue in case some nokia rep takes the trouble of reading all this.

In some yet to be determined circumstances the calendar view completely disappears from the home screen AND the home screen settings page. (apparently) the only way to bring it back is to format the phone.

For me this appears when I try to browse the calendar and return to the home screen. Probably it has to do with the issue that I return from an empty calendar page but I haven't yet confirmed this.

I've gone through formatting the phone already too many times because of this. Please fix it!

Please use plain text.

Well ... I have now lost my calendar not once ...  but, twice.  Very frustrating.

I fortunately have a backup ... at home ... 2000 miles away.  

Here is a word of warning on the use of the automated backup setting found in "Menu:Applications:File mgr.:Backup:Repeat Backup" - DON'T! (At least until Nokia gets this problem FIXED!)

Since I had lost my calendar once before, I thought I'd be proactive and insure I had a current backup in case it happened again.  So, I backep up the the memory card, and thought I'd turn on the Repeat Backup function just to insure I would have a current backup.  I certainly didn't count on the phone corrupting the existing calendar file ... and then backing up (and over-writing the good backup file), thereby rendering the calendar restore function absolutely usless.

To try and get out of this problem this time, I tried option 1 from below, restored the data files ... to no avail. Tried to create a new calendar entry and received a "System Error" message.

Then I tried option 2 from below, restored the data files ... to no avail. Tried to create a new calendar entry and received a "System Error" message.

Tried option 2 from below again ... and this time I did not restore the calendar file and I was able to create a new calendar entry.

Now I just have to wait two more days until I can get home to restore my calendar!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have the same problem and I had to hard reset my phone 4 times since I purchased it, and after 1 week of last reset I got it again.

Restoring backup will not get back all software, maybe 20% only of installed SW.

This set is a piece of junk.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm so sorry I bought this unit, just because of the calendar issue.

I must have it back and don't want to format for the 6th time already.

Please use plain text.
haukilahti

Simple! Just upload the new SW for your 5800 and all problems are gone. I currently use V 31.0.101 and calendar is back for your use...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

That's what I did from 20 to 21 and from 21 to 30 and the calendar always return and after a while dissappear again.

so what's new in ver. 31 that will stop it from happenning?

Please use plain text.
haukilahti

Yes! That is exactly what you need. And you can do it over-the-air with your 5800. Easy and highly recommended.
Please use plain text.
Professor

I have version 31 and Calendar is still not visible on homescreen and is missing from the list in Home screen settings. I don't want to have to through the pain of full reset again.
Please use plain text.