Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Call log shows number, not name, for some numb...

Counsellor

Call log shows number, not name, for some number formats ???

I just got an N85.  I've been enjoying using it, but just found a weird bug.

I had synced my Contacts to the phone, and made a call to a friend.  As expected, the friend's name showed up on the screen during the call, and in the call log after the call.

I then went to the friend's entry, changed the number to turn off Caller Id Blocking (it's on by default on my account, but not on the phone) by adding '*82' to the beginning of the number.

Then I called the friend again.  This time, only the number showed onscreen during the call, and in the call log afterwards.

Scratching my head, I removed the '*82' and tried this again, and the phone behaved as normal.

I did an experiment where I added an extra '1' to the end of the phone number, and the phone still behaved as normal when I called that number.

So... for some reason, adding '*82' in front of a number makes the phone not recognize that the number is associated with the contact.

This has never happened on any other Nokia phone I've ever had, and I've had a lot of them.

I am using the standard software, latest firmware for the phone, etc.

Anyone else see this?

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Call log shows number, not name, for some number formats ???

Hmmm... nobody can reproduce this on their phone?

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=117545#M117545

read this it might help

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi radical24...

Yes, I read that discussion already.  It doesn't *specifically* address this issue, although it talks about similar ones.

Remember, tho', that that issue is talking mostly (or entirely) about "called id" (i.e. if the caller's name shows up when there is an incoming call).  This is happening when I make an OUTGOING call... you'd think that if I'm dialing a number myself, and that number is stored with the contact, the phone would be able to associate the two, wouldn't you?

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

no not really, see i think you have duplicates in terms of phone memory contacts and sim card contacts that alone is enough to consfuse the phone and consider the number before the name. either keep contacts on sim card or phone memory and see if it works for you. also do a back up of your contacts in any case for the future should something come up with your phone. use pc suite, ovi suite, zyb, synble any of those would do . 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

radical24 wrote:
no not really, see i think you have duplicates in terms of phone memory contacts and sim card contacts that alone is enough to consfuse the phone and consider the number before the name. either keep contacts on sim card or phone memory and see if it works for you. also do a back up of your contacts in any case for the future should something come up with your phone. use pc suite, ovi suite, zyb, synble any of those would do . 

Well, I NEVER store my contacts on my SIM, only on my phone, so unless my previous phone did this without my telling it to... :-)  Tho' I'll check again (I already did, earlier, and there were no SIM contacts).

As for backups, no worries; I have a Palm TX, and have been keeping my address book, contacts, tasks, and notes backed up regularly (like, every day) for 6 years now.

I'll let you know if I discovered anything else, tho'.

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

:smileyhappy: lol for back ups....this is the only thing that i can think of. you have gotta have something even the most sublte with those numbers going on there. and yes its crazy annoying and yes it happens on many if not all s60 phones. and no they have yet to rectify the situation but i doubt the day will ever come as this is not exactly a new issue we are facing. sorry i dont have anything more concrete for you 
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ok, just checked again.  The SIM has NO numbers on it.  I even turned off SIM numbers, just to check, and the problem I describe still happens.

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

radical24 wrote:
:smileyhappy: lol for back ups....this is the only thing that i can think of. you have gotta have something even the most sublte with those numbers going on there. and yes its crazy annoying and yes it happens on many if not all s60 phones. and no they have yet to rectify the situation but i doubt the day will ever come as this is not exactly a new issue we are facing. sorry i dont have anything more concrete for you 

Nope, this problem happens with ALL numbers (well, I've tried it on 3 or 4 with 3 or 4 different people, and it still happens).

I think it's a bug with the phone, or S60.

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

ok try this punch in *#7780# this will only restore factory settings will not erase any data and after you do that take the battery out for like 5min. put it back together and see what happens. now i am not holding my breath but sometimes it might work. 
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi again...

Well, I did all that - actually, as seen in my post here:

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=125227&jump=true

... I used all the various reset methods.  The last one I did was the "Format Phone" one (*#7370#); same behavior when making calls with numbers starting with '*' (I tried just '*' to check, and the same thing happens, so it's not JUST '*82').

Oh well.  Thanks for your suggestions anyway. :-)

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

sorry mate :smileysad: , have no other ideas perhaps someone else will venture on this topic and bring about someting new...tho i am not sure if there is such a thing. 
Please use plain text.

Hi there. Im relatively new to all this "smartphone" thing, but having had one for a year now, and also having some basic knowledge about programming and cellular networks I don't really think that your problem is really a phone/platform issue. Based on my understanding (or ignorance-then I'm wrong) I believe that: When you start your input with "*" phone assumes (rightly so :smileywink: ) that it's dealing with system or network command (like for example:*#06# to see IMEI) and these are not stored in Call-Log for obvious reason of not being phone numbers. When you add *82 in front of the number, you no are no longer DIALING this number but executing network command which tells network to connect U to that number without hiding your ID. In effect- your phonebook entry for Bob-*82 5555 connects U to 5555 which apparently is not in your book anymore :smileyhappy: I know this post doesn't fix the problem, but maybe helps understanding it. U could try makin 2 entries in phonebook- one for Bob and one for BobShowID.. Worth givin a shot, huh? Regards.
N95(3.01) / FM:31.0.017 / Gravity always wins.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

hey that is a really nice explanation and yes you are right :smileyhappy: got yourself a kudo ! 
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Smych...

Thanks for your comments; I would agree with you, except for the fact that my last phone (also a Nokia, Series 40 I think, tho') seemed to understand that "*82" was a network command, unattached to the phone number, so even if I dialed "*82XXXXXXX" and just the "XXXXXXX" was in my phone, it would show as the person, not the number.

So my S40 phone was "smarter" about things like that than my S60 phone.  Bizzarre!

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

yes in a way your s40 was smarter, you are right. s40 is a simpler platform, therefore there is less chance of things going nuts. s60 is a much more capable platform but it has issues as those noted by you among few others. 
Please use plain text.

My 10yrs old Nokia 6110 displays numbers/contacts correctly too- just because it's too simple to notice or care about the difference. My E50 and N95 ,on the other hand, don't. It seems bizarre at first but really it is one of this world's laws: the more sophisticated things get - the more irrational they seem.. Vide: WOMEN.. On a serious note, tho- try looking for 3rd party application. Some call manager could maybe force CallLog to recognize numbers. One of Epocware's Handy applications for filtering calls maybe? Lot's of them out there. I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide you with ready fix, but if I come across one I will post it here. Good luck. PS. I'm browsin usin a phone browser which doesn't display Kudos buttons as active- can't click them now, but will when I get close to some PC. Regards.
N95(3.01) / FM:31.0.017 / Gravity always wins.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well, I emailed Nokia support, and the person there gave me this answer making it sound like I had asked a question regarding AT&T's *82 service... basically, they said something like "*82 is not a service known to the N85, that has something to do with AT&T, I suggest you talk to AT&T" blah blah blah.

They missed the whole point that the number starting with "*82" is IN THE DAMN PHONE ITSELF, and I am dialing the number from the phone, and the phone itself doesn't recognize that it dialed that same number.

*Sheesh!* lazy support people.

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi tbessie.

I got a Nokia N78 a month ago and, annoyingly, outgoing calls show name, but incoming calls show number. I've been an exclusive Nokia user for 17 years and this is the first time I've experienced this. With my failing eyesight this is bad news.

Any further ideas?

Bill

Please use plain text.