Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Camera quality has dropped after belle update ...

Counsellor
lbanias

Re: Camera quality has dropped after belle update on my n8

I forgot to say that the Anna N8 has the camera update installed.
Why do you need a shot with the zoom since it is digital zoom ? And what is manual, custom mode with what settings ?
Here's some zoom photos: http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/67535930/file.html
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

as it is digital zoom, it gives me a closer look at the grain effect caused by the ISO. 

The samples do not look as if there is a major difference in quality, The very slight colour change could be cause by a minor increase of decrease in exposure or ISO which could be new camera calibrations for Belle in its automatic settings.

If you shoot with Low ISO in M setting it should solve any noise problems and try not go go above 400 ISO before you start seeing visible Noise in your photos, especially when your aiming to shoot for high quality.

Any difference in yellow/blue tone would be caused by the white balance which you can also adjust manually.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Counsellor
lbanias

It seems that the processing after the shot is taken in low light or too bright scenes( snow) it is longer that in Anna, I got sometimes 5-7 seconds until I can make another shot. I miss a lot the burst shot feature(6 fast shots or shots till card is full) that I had integrated into my old Nokia 6710 Navigator, it had also panorama shot integrated, sequence till 30 mins.
It is kinda frustrating to miss nice moments due to this processing, it happened to me also in normal light at a Dog exhibition or kids play, sports...
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

The processing time is usually proportional to the length of the shutter speed, If you are taking photos with long shutter speeds, the photos take alot longer to render than those taken under fast shutter speeds.

Are the shots you are experiencing long rendering times coming out blurry? It sounds as if your phones light metering might be changing due to hand over the light meter, causing your phone to unnessecarily shoot at long shutter speeds

If it is being slow under normal light condition and the photos are coming out nice and sharp, it could be that your device memory is low and might need a bit of a clean up, to allow for faster rendering speeds.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Counsellor
lbanias

Until I did these test shots I thought/noticed that especially in low light that long processing comes, but when I took that winter day picture with a lot of white colours I counted almost 8 secs of processing. Also in Anna tooks around 3-4 secs. I'm not sure maibe the EXIF data will tell something about it if you analyse the photos I uploaded. And with daylight there's less chance to have blur. First I blamed the 1 GB SD card that I only have it for contact backup, images surely save on E , free RAM 100 MB, free C 115 MB, free E 4 GB.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

If you could upload Exif data file that would be perfect, Its strange that it would take so long to render an image taken in the snow.

Counsellor
lbanias

All images have exif info stored you just have to use a program to show them. I use ACDSEE.
Advisor
seductive

This is what I got for an image taken with Anna N8 device :smileyhappy:

Counsellor
jasonteh

[ Edited ]

i am not but i am into mobile photography. Difference is too obvious for me. I getting annoyed of belle camera quality i cant take tiny water drops anymore

Here taken by anna
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/6497470299/in/set-72157626483842745

Here taken by belle tiny waterdrops cant focus.need take bigger ones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/6875442855/in/photostream

here another example how detailed it was in PR1.2 and Anna that cant be achieve with the current belle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/6504030057/sizes/z/in/photostream/ Look at the detail of it and guess what its cropped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5799511118/sizes/l/in/pool-14208894@N00/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5808292672/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5739225138/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5836104474/sizes/l/in/photostream/

None of the photos been edited or used any lens only the Nokia N8 + my 2 hands

Thats the true potential of the Nokia N8 that todate still unbeatable.

Counsellor
euphoric

@sheldrick I don't get it when you are asking for samples from users. You are the nokia guy. You must be having tonnes of n8. Why don't you pick up two with different versions and test it out yourself. You will be the best judge of the bug.

I think that anyone who has an n8 with belle can see that the camera is not focusing as well as it used to do and that there are grainier pictures in low light.

Now that so many users have reported the issue, isn't it the responsibility of nokia support to inquire the issue at their own level.
I mean no disrespect but I think that it's your job now to solve the problem as soon as you can.
Thanks in advance
Counsellor
jasonteh

All my photos have exif intact you can check it thru Flickr, have fun
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

@Euphoric, The devices we have do not experience this problem and it is not a common issue.

The best thing I can do is to inspect exif data and photos to see the extent of the issue.

Counsellor
jasonteh

[ Edited ]
Shelduck let me correct you there and no offense what I am going to say next we are photographer we take photo we analyze and we tell you and Even Damien cant tell what's wrong with it but I take photos nearly everyday with my Nokia n8 and I shown u sample and for your info this been happen since the leak belle back then the quality degraded. I been posting photos over photos over photos I take since I got my Nokia n8 a year ago. Pr 11 awesome quality pr1.2 awesome quality Anna quality degraded from pr 1.2 then now belle degraded worse than pr1.1, pr1.2 and Anna all combine. U won't find the answer in the exif. Example for you to understand what I am going thru u need to take photos as good as mine or better than only u can see it the difference. But if u can't what do you tend to find in the exif. I tilt my phone side the ISO shoot up 800and exposure 1/200 and then I move an inch the iso show 100 and exposure 1/3000. The problem lies in the software of the Nokia n8 camera. Like example close up back then the autofocus detection very accurate now it just go blur. The photo quality compression reduced the quality of sharpness is not there. Low light performance it tend to be over sensitive so the ISo shoot up . No offense this what I found after upgrade to belle. I am considering to downgrade back to Anna
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

@Jasonteh I require exif data simply to eliminate any other probably cause for the problem while I analyse. I am currently looking into the matter and will get back.

Counsellor
jasonteh

Advisor
muntz

To get a grip of this problem...

*What is having the problem ?

Some N8 phones upgraded with Belle

*What is the problem ?

Camera quality has dropped after upgrade

The auto focus is not as precise

*What IS Not having the problem ?

N8 phones with Anna

Every single N8 running Belle

*What is NOT the problem ?

Camera fails to take pictures

Camera is slow

Phone can't use the flash

and so on...

*When was the problem first seen ?

After upgrade to Belle

? with official Belle or un-official ?

*When could it have been seen but was not ?

Prior to the upgrade

Extent:

---------

- how many has seen this problem ?

- how many could have seen this problem but has not ?

- are the numbers of N8 with this problem increasing ?

Some extra questions:

---------------------------------

- how many who see this problem has used the un-official Belle ?

- how many who see this problem has upgraded to Belle from the un-official Belle ?

- how many who see this problem did not reset their phones first ?

Note:

I have a Blue N8 with Belle, went from Anna to Belle and did a complete reset first, wiped

both C: and E: prior to the upgrade and I can't say that my phone has any problems.

Good luck!!

PS - love my N8 ;-)

HaHa
kuplejas

I approve this. Camera quality has decreased. Unfortunately... Video camera is better than ever though. Hope Nokia will ''cure'' this soon, because i don't have a desire to downgrade my phone.
For now i suggest everyone to use CameraPro app. It works fine.

Mobile Visionary
hpholm

[ Edited ]

I don't see what all the fuzz is about, but curious as always I had to go and make a comparison. The following are raw shots from my N8-00 with all settings in default and the camera in automatic mode.

January 2011, that would be Symbian ^3 PR1.1 or there about:

http://hpholm.dk/images/09012011025.jpg

February 2012, Belle, same shot, slightly different lighting:

http://hpholm.dk/images/2012-02-15-031.jpg

Pixel peepers may notice a little more sharpness in the JPEG processing now, but IMO the biggest difference between these pictures seem to be that our football stadium got a new sponsor last summer.

And finally a macro shot (with focus on the paper cup café logo):

http://hpholm.dk/images/2012-02-15-028.jpg

I'm glad to see the file naming sorted out to use the ISO standard instead of the localized mess, and putting everything into a DCIM folder is also an improvement for me.

The only complaint I have in the camera is about the GPS behavior. Switching the GPS chip on and off all the time is silly - and since it only adds a location to a picture or a video if the location is known while the picture is taken, it makes no sense to continue trying to find the location after the camera is closed. It has been like this for a long time, so this is not a Belle change.

And yes, those who claim to have picture quality problems need to do better than uploading edited and small versions of the pictures without further explanation.

Best regards

Hans

Counsellor
jasonteh

[ Edited ]
=.= flickr have all sizes available in flickr even it retain the original file u able to view all sizes thru flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5808292672/sizes/l/in/set-72157626786840615/

example and notice an object as big as tat paper cup when you zoom is blur now imagine the dragonfly its only an inch size look when u enlarge

Same example imagine tat spider its only about .2 inch in size and its clear the paper cup tat big is also blur
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/5739225138/sizes/l/in/photostream/ So now imagine if each pixel is sharp then u multiply it with 12 million times imagine the detail you have. Now imagine belle if each pixel is not sharp you multiply with 12 million times overall what do you get. Get the concept
Counsellor
euphoric

I dont think that the problem is related to a few sets only. Rather people have still not noticed the difference in picture quality, most people can't. So it's left to only the enthusiasts to take the problem to nokia and make them believe that there's a problem. Because if nokia doesnt respond to this problem, i believe every photography enthusiast will be forced to degrade to anna.
Waiting for Sheldrick to respond in positive....