Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can N8 play .srt (subtitle) files?

yaka

Dear Arislgr,

converting .srt to .sub is not a hassle at all. It literally takes only 1 second. Use SubRip 1.5, downloadable from here: http://zuggy.wz.cz/dvd.php

I am very interested whether SmartMovie can handle separate .sub subtitle files. Will you please check that out for me?

Thx: yaka

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
trilko

Yes, it does!

I've just tried it, subtitles work fine if you convert them to .sub with Smartmovie.

I'm on C7, but should work on N8 as well I guess :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
yaka

Dear Trilko!

Thanks a lot for the info. Converting from .srt to .sub is very easy and quick. If you use a .sub file, are Hungarian characters supported, like: áéöőüűóú? Will you try that for me, please? I attached a hungarian .sub file (the subtitle for Inception cd1), I simply changed the extension to .log.

Thanks a lot,

yaka

Please use plain text.
Sage

Have you seen Nokia Big Screen (from Nokia Betalabs)? The video player accept subtitles!!! Made by Nokia. Time to hope for internal player to be upgraded sometime?
Please use plain text.
Sage
Symbian_fan

Improvement: Nokia Big screen app from beta labs can play subtitles over HDMI.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

That's Excellent news from Nokia, but where from can I get it  for my  N8? I  cannot  find it on  Ovi store, and the beta labs page  ( http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-big-screen ) has no 'download' link.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

You need to login with your Ovi account to get the download link.
Please use plain text.
yaka

I attached the Nokia Big Screen application. Change the .log extension to .sis, and that's it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

Thanks for the file! it is succesfully installed on my N8, will try it with the HDMI cable when i get the chance, again thanks !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Nokia has today released an update for the N8 that allows subtitle files to be used with the built in video player. SUB and SRT formats are supported.

You can get the update by doing the following:
Menu > Applications > SW Update > Check for updates.

The update is called "videos" and was released today.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

Oh my, really?? Great news!

[edit]

Works! This is very nice :smileyhappy:

[edit2]

FYI, save subtitles in Unicode to avoid any problems with diacritic letters :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

Tha'ts great news, however with my N8 I cant find that update, either with the phone, or  with Ovi suite. My N8 has software version 011.012, it must be a  European vesrion and maybe they have not been updatedyet, anyway we'll  there, well done Nokia!!!! 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Installed now; thanks for info! And THANKS NOKIA!
Please use plain text.
harker_666

installed now. it does play .srt but only english. no support for greek .srt :smileysad: :smileysad:

come on Nokia. do the job right. put more srt formats :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
harker_666

EDIT : You just have to save the .srt in Unicode. It does support Greek subs. THANK YOU NOKIA YOU RULE

Please use plain text.
DarekR

How to show polish subtitles correct 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Save in the Notepad as Unicode.
Please use plain text.
DarekR

Thanks. Work find in Windows but I have problem on MAC (I use Jubler for subtitles editing in MAC)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

No idea how to save it in Unicode on Mac. But I'm sure Google has all the answers. There must an equivalent to Notepad on Mac, right?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the update on the European version too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO, GO, GO, NOKIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never owned any other phone, Nokia all these years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.