Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can anyone successfully connect E65 with WLAN

Contributor

Can anyone successfully connect E65 with WLAN

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for help and suggestion. I just bought E65 and tried to conenct it to my Netgear at home. I first try with an encrption - it doesn't work... so I reset my netgear to no security at all... and it still doesn't work.

Any advise?

Thank you in advance
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hard reset the netgear router so all user settings are delete (you should be able to back them up first), make sure that the WLAN is active when the router comes back up.

Format your E65 by entering *#7370# in standby mode. (again, you can back up the phone to the memory card before you do this).

Try to connect to your WLAN. If this doesn't work then your phone is most likely faulty.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I acquired this phone today on o2 and it works brilliantly on gprs or my wlan at home
Please use plain text.
Sage

FYI:
I just tested E65 today, and it works ok with WiFi (wireless) and EAP-LEAP and EAP-PEAP/MS-CHAPv2

I found one funny thing:
on the very first connect the E65 didnt catch the SSID.
only when I tried the second time and the following time it works ...
So maybe you should simply try once, and then once again to connect.
I did not test Open WiFi, as I expect that to work with both static-WEP and open/None.

HTH
Martin
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I did try to reset my netgear and my mobile, still doesn't work. The thing is, I test it with other network, and it works. I wonder how should I set my netgear... or it's the hardware conflict?

Netgear WG834G
Wireless access point:
Enable wireless accesspoint (selected)
allow broadcast of name (SSID) (Selected)
Wireless Isolation (not select)
Security option: WPA-PSK (Wifi Protected pre-shared key)

Wireless Port
Name (SSID) NETGEAR
Region Asia
Channel 11
Wireless AP Enabled
Broadcast Name Enabled

Could someone please advise.

thank you very much in advance,
Pomme
Please use plain text.
Sage

Download the wireless wizard from Nokia web and install this.
Try to run it and see if you can see your SSID.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4164022?url=http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/software/Nokia_N80_Internet_Edition_WlanWizard.sisx

or

http://europe.nokia.com/A4195015
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you very much for your efford to help, still it doesn't work. : (
Please use plain text.
Sage

well, can you see your SSID in WLAN Wizard ?
And when you connect, what security does it clam to use ?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Do you mind guiding me how to check SSID? my WLAN using WPA key. Thank you very much for your help. Hope we can figure this out.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, actually that is what I am trying to do ...

Download and install Nokia's WLAN Wizard application
start it and check if you can see the wireless network in the list (SSID)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm trying to get WLAN to work on my brand new (3 network) Nokia E65, too.

Here's what I've found out so far.

Useful menu locations are:

1. Menu>>Connect.>>WLAN wiz. : the WLAN wizard (E65 comes with the WLAN Wizard pre-installed)
  2. Menu>>Settings>>Connection>>Access points : this controls detailed settings for an access point (you can only change these settings if the network is disconnected; NB, there are some extra settings (DNS, IP and Proxy) under Options>>Advanced settings)
  3. Menu>>Connect.>>Conn. mgr. : use this to see whether the network is connected or not (if it is, you can disconnect it here)

I cannot find a way to start the network connection, except by going in to the browser to try to use it, Menu>>Connect.>>Web. Is there any other way?

Lots of people on other forums have pointed out that you need to set 'Options>>Access point' to 'Always ask' within the browser application (so you can switch between using WLAN and phone network for web browsing).

When I try to connect using the browser, I always get "Web: No gateway reply". This seems to be the only possible error message, whatever the problem is! If I mess up the WEP key, or other settings, on purpose, I still get the same message. But I know when I have got the settings pretty much right, because...

If I've set the network up right then, after the failed browser connection, using Conn. mgr., I can see that the WLAN IS connected, and that data is being sent and received (this only happens if the settings are mostly right, e.g. correct WEP key, etc.).

On a PC, at this point, I'd be wanting to check whether IP and DNS addresses have been properly assigned. Does anyone know how I can check this on the E65? (I found IpView.sis - but it seems to be for the wrong type of phones, it won't install.)

Thanks,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Sage

you should be able to start the browser from within the WLAN wizard.

It will create an Accesspoint entry in the connection section (tools)
What I did notice when I succesfully connected to both EAP-LEAP and EAP-PEAP networks, is that the first try did not connect, but on the second attempt it did.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for that, yes I noticed you can start the browser that way. What I'm trying to do is something like what I'd do on a PC to resolve a difficult connection problem:
  1. Can I see that WLAN SSID?
  2. Can I connect to the WLAN?
  3. Have I been assigned an IP address?
  4. Is DNS lookup working?
  5. Can I browse? If not:
    1. Is there are place to set up an HTTP proxy server?
    2. Is it set up right?

On an unsecured WLAN network, with no proxy, the phone works. I can browse the web. But I'm trying to connect to a secured WEP network (happens to be via an Apple Airport) at work.

Unfortunately, this WEP secured network also requires an HTTP proxy(!) (but this is all stuff which the phone can do, right?). I can successfully get to step 2 on this network (I have an active data connection, data is being sent and recieved). But that's it, I have no idea how to check whether or not 3, 4 or 5 are working.

I'm guessing that I need some additional software to resolve this.

To be honest, I'm also guessing, though I may be wrong, that there is some kind of bug in the current firmware, that is causing problems, either with IP or DNS configuration on a WEP network, or with HTTP proxy settings. But I can't check any of this!

Cheers,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I do not know of any way to check what IP you have been assigned, nor if you can resolve names.
So what you can do is to skip 3-4 and goto the browser part.

Yes you can assign a proxy: choose adv. setings under the given accesspoint setup page in the phone: here you have IPv4 and v6 that you can set to DHCP or static, aswell as the proxy and port.

HTH
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I found some freeware called IfInfo.sis. It is unsigned software (so possibly non-recommended). You can only install it if you go into 'App. mgr.' and change the settings from 'Software installation:smileyfrustrated:igned only' to 'Software installation:all'.

Using this, I found that on my problematic network (which uses a 40/64bit WEP key) I get a connection with correct local DNS servers automatically assigned, but an incorrect IP address (seems to be in wrong address range, and has 0.0.0.0 mask and gateway). Anyone else had this? I have connected fine to lots of other networks now, including a WPA Pre-shared key network.

PS In order to see whether a network is connected but broken like this, you must use the browser to start the connection, then leave the browser without closing it. You can do this by pressing the menu key, which brings up the menus and leaves the browser running in the background. You can see whether WLAN stays connected by looking out for the phone's 'four-leaf clover' WLAN symbol.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

OK - this might be a real bug report now.

WEP 64 bit key, open, public, infrastructure network, my phone IS picking up a valid IP address (10.0.9.44 to my computer's 10.0.9.50 on the same network) and valid (local) DNS server addresses. But it is not picking up any values for Netmask (should be 255.255.255.255) and Gateway (should be 10.0.8.1 on my local network). It is picking up zeros for both.

Which explains the "Web: No gateway reply" error message.

Just to re-iterate, I have connected successfully to lots of other non-secured networks now (e.g. t-mobile, boingo, various community wireless projects), and I (and others) have reported success with WPA. But I don't think I can do much more to fix this with WEP.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am having exactly the same problem, phone connects to Wlan but NOT to any website.

Does not matter if I protect my Wlan with WEP or WPA or if I leave it open.. I just doesn't work!

Sybo
The Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Sage

I tried ifinfo.sis on my N80, while connected to a WEP-128 wlan.
everything works great, but the ifinof.sis tool is not showing the correct subnet mask nor gateway, all i get is 0.0.0.0.
Hence the ifinfo.sis tool is not correctly showing the phone info.

On a N73, GPRS/UMTS it do show IP in gateway but its the same as the host ip, still 0.0.0.0 as mask.

So do not rely on this tool.

btw did you find any ping utils for s60 3rd ?
- Or DNS/nameing resolve tools ?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

mbil,

You're right about ifinfo.sis, but the source has been released now, so hopefully somebody will find the time to look at it.

No, i haven't found any other utils yet.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Please use plain text.

I have stumbled upon a work-a-round for this problem...

I have an e65 getting the infamous "No Gateway Reply" error consistently on my home network. While I haven't got Nokia to confirm, I am convinced of a firmware fault dealing with DHCP communications - some settings get made, others don't.

The work-a-round is to do it all manually!

Go to Menu>Tools>Settings>Connection>AccessPoints and select the Access Point for your network. Then select Options>Advanced Settings>IPv4Settings

In this menu are Phone IP address, and DNS address setting options. I have been playing with DNS address, but leaving IP address alone because I could see that DHCP was assigning the IP address ok.

However, if you manually set the IP address, you magically get additional settings pop up for Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway!

As soon as these settings were made, EVERYTHING started working!

I hope this helps some of you as much as it has me!

Regards,

Pcal2
Please use plain text.