Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can't restore Text Messages from Backup on Nok...

Counsellor
sid2109

Can't restore Text Messages from Backup on Nokia X6

[ Edited ]

Hi All...

I've encountered one of the most common problems seen with backup files :smileysad:

I did a backup of Nokia x6 (FW 40.X latest) on Nokia PC suite and Nokia suite. I then did a hard reset of my phone and now I'm unable to restore text messages from backup file. In fact not just the new ones but none of the backup files are getting restored. I do a backup every 2 weeks and even the older files don't seem to work. Rest of the data got restored absolutely fine. Only have a problem with test messages. 

I nearly have 7000 sms across inbox and my folders. too much data lose ( or may be too much to restore? ). Please assist. Thanks.

List of Nokia phones I've used: 3310, 3315, 3200, 6600,3250, N73 ME, N95 8GB, 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia X6 16 GB (currently using this).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

Re: Can't restore Text Messages from Backup on Nokia X6

the problem is because you have 7000 messages.

too many messages (1000+) can cause problems, i can only suggest to keep them under 200.

i believe there was a thread about the messages but i can't find it now.
Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Hi sid2109,

Firstly, have you checked that you have the latest version of Nokia Suite, which can be found here:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-ovi-suite

Also, were your files originally stored in your devices mass storage or on the device's Internal drive? If it was saved on mass storage, try formatting the memory card and restoring.

You can also follow this thread   and this thread  for more information on not being able to restore messages from your NBU file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sid2109

Thanks for the replies.

@hazey....I don't think those threads are relevant to me at all. This is because I formatted my PC around mid october and from them on I've been using Nokia suite straight up. I never had OVI suite at all. 

Also, one thing to note is that on my Nokia suite > messages I can still see my old messages upto 11th Nov which was the last date when I had synced my text messages. When I now try to sync it with my phone, that too doesn't work.

All my text messages were stored in phone memory.  Can the number of text messages really cause this problem? This is a smartphone. should be able to handle that load i presume.

List of Nokia phones I've used: 3310, 3315, 3200, 6600,3250, N73 ME, N95 8GB, 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia X6 16 GB (currently using this).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sid2109

I've got an even bigger and weird problem now...PC suite and Nokia Suite both fail in reading SMS from my phone. I really don't know why. I can perform all other operations like backup, sync etc....But it shows zero sms in my inbox whereas there are several of them.

Its as if both software are unable to access the messaging module on my phone...what do i do??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sid2109

Very weird...looks like I need to head to Nokia care now....Both PC suite and Nokia suite can't read my sms anymore. I can't send sms too using both the suites. reinstalled the 40.002 firmware , even tried hard reset.....nothing works :smileysad:

Please use plain text.