Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Chinese language pack on English-language Nokia E7...

Sage

Chinese language pack on English-language Nokia E72?

I'm based in Manila and just bought a Nokia E72 cellphone here locally in the Philippines. The unit is labeled E72-1.

I needed a cellphone which can display Chinese-language (both Traditional & Simplified Chinese) characters.

Unfortunately, this E72 I bought here only has the English language.

I've read that the Nokia E72 in Hong Kong / Taiwan / Singapore can display both English and Chinese language.

Is it possible to have the Nokia E72 add a Chinese language pack to display Chinese characters? I really need the Chinese display capability since I regularly have contacts who send me important SMS messages with Chinese characters.

If it's not possible to add the Chinese character display capability, I may be forced to let go of this Nokia E72 and perhaps have to order it instead from Hong Kong (or perhaps Taiwan or Singapore) where I presume the Nokia E72 there will have the English + Chinese display capability built-in.

Although not as important as the Chinese-display capability, I would also like if it could have Chinese language input capability installed on this E72. Is this also possible?

Note that I don't need the phone system menus/commands to be displayed in Chinese language (and actually prefer them to be English language). I only need the phone to display/input Chinese characters in the SMS messages.

Please advise so that I can make a decision as soon as possible, whether to let go of this locally-bought E72 with only English language and instead procure a unit from abroad with the Chinese language display (and input) capability.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kokeropie

Re: Chinese language pack on English-language Nokia E72?

It's all about language pack firmware installed on the phone.  Ask your nearest Nokia Care Center (NCC) if they can change the language pack installed on your phone.

This is the language pack that I know for Chinese language:

Hong Kong has Traditional and Simplified Chinese language.

Singapore has Traditional Chinese language

Taiwan has Simplified Chinese language

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You can have a language pack containing Chinese installed by most Nokia Care Points. However, the phone will revert back to its original languages if you update the firmware. On the other hand, if you send it back and get a phone with Chinese from another country, the warranty will not be valid in the Philippines. So if anything goes wrong with it, you will have to send it back there to be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Sage
wilson63

Hi, I am in HKG & the E72 comes with English, (Traditional Chinese & Simplified Chinese) you can upgrade your firmware  anywhere in the world without having to loose your original language pack. I can help you get one & ship it out to you, it would cost about USD$500 more or less depends where you purchase it from.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am in Finland and am looking and E75 and needed to read Chinese sms also. Seems to be impossible to have it at the moment?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Folks, please check with your NCC before purchasing this phone.  I called mine (Newmarket, Canada), and they will not change the language pack of any phone not yet released by a carrier in the country.

There are tutorials for other nokia phones that use third-party software to change the product code, but I couldn't find any for the E72.  The steps may be similar, but you're proceeding at your own risk.

As an aside, if anybody has the product code for E72 in China please post. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Mods have deleted a few posts regarding changing the product code for this phone.  It's a shame that they not only don't provide support for other languages, but are trying to actively stop users from adding support themselves.

I won't provide more information here, but you may search "目前最全的诺基亚/nokiaE72code列表" on google.  This list of product codes may be relevant to adding new language support, but "you should not change the product code of your phone and would be doing so at your own risk."  We have not gotten it to work yet here, but someone else has changed the language.  Try searching "E72 successful flashing by JAF".

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
myn1126

Hi all,

We have removed the post on the subject of debranding. Posting of an unathorised procedure which invalidates the warranty of Nokia device is not allowed to be discussed on an official Nokia forum.

Kind Regards.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi. Would like to add a rejoinder to this topic. I'm sorry if my posting of product code lead to insinuating that one has to do certain non-authorized procedures of debranding a phone.  I mentioned the product code, because it seemed that the only way to be sure that one gets a phone with the Chinese characters was to buy a Nokia E72 with those product codes, which unfortunately, are NOT sold in our country.

This leaves us to the same problem -- I needed a phone that can display English and Traditional Chinese characters.

When I had been shopping for a new phone (which I finally decided to be the Nokia E72), I did search the web if there were indeed E72's that support displaying of Chinese characters, and there sure are such phones.

However, it's not clearly indicated whether the E72 that I'm going to buy in our local country will have this feature.

Alas, after spending a big amount (in a 3rd world country such as ours, the E72 is already considered a hefty investment).

Now, it seems the solution is to buy an E72 from someone and make sure that its product code are those in the list with "Chinese character" support.

There seem to be no sure way of knowing whether a phone supports a certain language other than trying it out.

Unfortunately, I have not tried buying online as I don't have a good and affordable means of doing that, which is why we're asking if there's some legitimate way of satisfying what we need -- which is to be able to get a Nokia E72 that supports both English and Chinese characters.

And it seems from some people that at the very least, the Hong Kong version of the Nokia E72 (be sure to check the product code [labeled inside the cellphone unit after removing the battery] to know that it's the Hong Kong version).  Would there be any other way of knowing if a certain E72 has English & Chinese support if we don't specifically check it's product code?

~~~~~

Or for that matter, let's assume it's not an E72, could any Nokia representative point me out which Nokia cellphones that are sold in the Philippines have Chinese language support.  I doubt that the Nokia Careline Philippines customer service representative that I talked to is able to answer that in a sure manner... :-(

Please use plain text.
Sage

I'd like to add some more information which may or may not be exactly useful for those who have the same issue as mine:

Adding as much Chinese as possible on the E72 without Chinese language pack:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/e72/software

Mobile dictionary language packages Translate words into the language of your choice. Add new languages to your pre-installed Mobile dictionary application from Mobile dictionary download page >> Text-to-Speech language packages and voice packages

Let your phone read your messages out loud with Text-to-speech, a tool which allows you to listen to text messages, multimedia messages, and emails. To utilize your Message Reader application download language packages and voice packages at the Text-to-speech page >>

1) Using the above page, one can download Chinese dictionary (Traditional and Simplified Chinese versions available).

It seems that after installing both dictionaries for the Mobile Dictionary application, I can fire up the Mobile Dictionary app and choose Target language to Traditional and Simplified Chinese.  The Traditional Chinese characters don't seem to display (some characters display while others are "square boxes"; but the Simplified Chinese characters appear to display correctly.)

So, it appears that the dictionary app can display Chinese characters (at least Simplified Chinese) after installing, although the SMS messages still display "square boxes" where there are Chinese characters.

2) Download Chinese [Mandarin] (or Chinese [HK]) language text-to-speech.  Now even though the E72 doesn't display Chinese characters (they show up as square boxes), I can use the msg reader to read those "square boxes" messages and it will read them in Chinese.  So at least, that's one way of having Chinese read back to you although the characters themselves can't be displayed.  (Set Language Detection to "On" in the Speech settings so it automatically recognizes Chinese; or one could also set the Voice Language to Mandarin Chinese so that even the voice prompts are read in Mandarin Chinese -- however, if Language Detection is set to "Off", it will try to read English SMS messages as per Chinese pinyin -- ie. incorrectly.).

One bug I notice is that for Chinese character email messages (Nokia Messaging). If I set my Language to English, but set the Speech setting of Language Detection to "On", and then activate the "Listen/Read" email messages, then the Msg Reader will hang up the phone. I had to use a utility called JBakTaskman to forcefully close Msg Reader (if don't have JBakTaskman, then have to turn off the phone and turn it back on).  So it looks like while the Language Detection can auto-detect Chinese characters in SMS messages and read them properly in Chinese, it seems to hang up in Email Messages.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey folks, another update.

Check this site out: http://mobile.qq.com/py/

It is a chinese IME, and it installs & seems to work on my e72.  You can type chinese! I don't know how to make it work properly with the qwerty keyboard but I think we may be able to figure that out.  For now you can use the numbers 1-9 (letters rtyfghvbn on the keyboard) to type chinese.

Unfortunately, since the phone's font does not support chinese characters, all the letters appear as boxes.

I have seen guides on the internet on how to install chinese fonts.  Unfortunately all the ones I've found are old and have broken links.

If we can get chinese fonts working, we can get a facility to type characters using QQ拼音 (http://mobile.qq.com/py/).  Right now, it's not much use to install it on your phone since you can't see what you're typing, but I think this is a step forward and may be useful if we can get chinese fonts installed.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the link, frazzydee, that's worth looking at. Might try it when I have time then.

I've also looked around and noticed this Psiloc Crystal Chinese package for Symbian S60. It might work for the E72 (compatibility list mentions E71 and E75)

Unfortunately, it's a commercial software, but has 7-day free trial download. I haven't got time to try it out yet.

From the documentation, it requires restarting the phone after installation to activate Chinese display/input. To disable Chinese display/input, another restart is needed.

From other web threads, it seems than for some older S60 phones, it just requires downloading Chinese fonts to the \resource\fonts folder of the phone (in memory card). But I'm not sure if this technique works for the E72.

For instance, see this thread here: (mentions fonts named S60SC.CCC, S60TCHK.CCC and S60ZDIGI.ttf in Z:\resource\fonts)

http://thinkabdul.com/2007/05/15/tutorial-howto-change-add-windows-vista-ttf-fonts-on-nokia-s60-3rd-...

Hi,

We have removed the link that was posted as it leads to site where one can purchase 3rd party applications. Kindly refrain from posting such links in the public forum. You can send it via PM to those that request it. This is similar to spamming and is generally not allowed.

Thanks

Nixy_fedorov

Message Edited by nixy_fedorov on 26-Jan-2010 05:44 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

d_t_a: Amazing! Great find :smileyhappy:

The link provided works to display chinese font throughout the phone (my chinese music is now readable).

Typing in pinyin works, but is a bit annoying.  It seems to treat the "number pad" keys on the e72 as a number pad rather than part of the qwerty keyboard.  ie. if you type "t" (also the number 2 when dialing), it thinks you're typing "2" and lets you pick between a/b/c, as if you were typing on a non-qwerty phone.  Other letters work fine (for example, "o")

This is an excellent solution, but too bad about the price point.  It's 30 euros ($42.81).

Installation is very easy and works upon restart. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Also (forgot to mention): You do not need to restart to switch between typing english/chinese.  A restart is required to load the module, but once it is loaded in, you can choose to type in english or chinese without restarting.  If you want to unload the module so you can only type in english, a restart is required.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi frazzydee,

Would you like to share your experience of the PsiLoc Crystal Chinese software after the 10-day trial license expires?

Seems like the Chinese display capability is still retained after the 10-day license expires...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hubertdc

Hello d_t_a,

Im a Filipino, Im here in China, i can help you with your language set problem.

give me your private email, and i will send you email.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi d_t_a,

I would be happy to share my experience.  When my license expired I was no longer able to view chinese characters.  Maybe if you do not restart the phone, the ability will still be retained.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
greenerabiotech

Hi Hubertdc,

I have a new Nokia E72 here based in Manila.  I need to view and write

Chinese traditional and Shorthand characters.  Do you know how?

Can you help me?  INstructions if possible. Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rhettsmile

You said that you can send message or receive message in Chinese, then you must able to read Chinese article

I found the problem on the net, and there is a article seemly could resolve the language pack, about to reflash you cell phone.

It in a famous forums in China:

http://nokia.zol.com.cn/179/297_1782457.html

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
twehner

I have the E-72-2, the North American edition, and I want to install Chinese language support on it.  I took it to an official Nokia service center in Beijing and asked them to install the language pack.  They told me it would cost 300 RMB (around 44 USD) to do this, AND that there was a chance it would render my phone inoperable.  I walked away from that offer.

This kind of risk at an official service center, combined with a high price, really encourages illegal activity, such as changing the product code.  How difficult would it be, for Nokia to release a reliable language pack for customer self-installation, even if it comes at a price?

Please use plain text.