Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Connecting to WPA/WPA2-Enterprised network

Registered Member

I have a question about my school network

here is the instruction

http://askdrexel.drexel.edu/cgi-bin/du_crm.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=89_hSoIj&p_li=&p_ac...

This is the part I got confused

Check the Validate server certificate box.

Check the Connect to these servers box.

Type radius.irt.drexel.edu as the name of the server

Where should I enter the server name?

Sage

zengshengliu wrote:

I have a question about my school network

here is the instruction

http://askdrexel.drexel.edu/cgi-bin/du_crm.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=89_hSoIj&p_li=&p_ac...

This is the part I got confused

Check the Validate server certificate box.

Check the Connect to these servers box.

Type radius.irt.drexel.edu as the name of the server

Where should I enter the server name?

There is no way to enter a specific "server name" to connect to on the phone settings. However that shouldn't be a problem as long as you have selected the "Thawte Server CA" certificate to be used as an "Authority Certificate" on the phone's PEAP settings menu.

Note that most likely your phone has two Thawte CA certificates pre-installed (Premium Server CA and Server CA) so please make sure to select the proper one of the two (i.e. don't select the "Premium" but use the plain Thawte Server CA as your Certificate Authority certificate).

Contributor

hi, it works very good in my 5800!!

But now, i connect to the wlan but the browser doesnt connect to the net ...

Web: Page Not Found Check Web Address

Can you help me ?

thank,

sabmcg

Sage

sabmcg wrote:

hi, it works very good in my 5800!!

But now, i connect to the wlan but the browser doesnt connect to the net ...

Web: Page Not Found Check Web Address

Can you help me ?

thank,

sabmcg

Could it be that this network requires usage of HTTP proxy for web browsing? If this is the case then you need to find out your network's HTTP proxy server IP address and port number and then configure your phone' to use this proxy server when accessing the web via this particular internet access point (i.e. connection profile).

You can configure proxy server on the 5800XM by editing the access point's advanced settings.

Go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Destinations -> Internet (or some other Destination under which you have placed the IAP for this particular WLAN connection) -> select and edit the access point that matches this particular WLAN connection -> select Options -> Advanced Settings -> enter IP address and port number of the proxy server. -> Go Back multiple times to save the new settings.

Contributor

Yes. thank you.

It's working.  Great !!!!

Contributor

hi, again ... :smileysad:

Another problem...

In google, i have no problem but in other sites i have this message :

web : secure connection not available

Any ideia ?

Thank you,

Sabmcg

Contributor

Hi saataga.

I am in University of Greenwich London and we use Eduroam and Greenet but whenever i try to connect my N97 to the network, it doesnt work,

Could you kindly help me get the settings just like u did for Mcgill?

I also tried using the settings of Mcgill.. but still did not work..

thanks.
Contributor

Hi ... I have a Nokia N5800. i downloaded a Verisign Trust Network ( .cer ) from the University of Missouri website. However, when I copy this file and open it on N5800. It opens as a text file. Is there anyway to install this Verisign certificate ? Best, Jimmy
Contributor

Hi.. I have downloaded a verisign trust certificate from the university of Missouri website. It is a .cer file

I copied this file to Phone memory, when i open it from my phone, it opens as a text document ... any idea how to install this certificate ?

Best,

Jimmy

Contributor

I forgot to add that i have N5800 XM

Sage

jimy86leb wrote:

Hi.. I have downloaded a verisign trust certificate from the university of Missouri website. It is a .cer file

I copied this file to Phone memory, when i open it from my phone, it opens as a text document ... any idea how to install this certificate ?

Best,

Jimmy

Certificate you are trying to install is most likely in Base-64 encoded X.509 format (which is practically a text file) however your phone is only able to install certificates which are in DER encoded X.509 binary format.

One relatively convenient way to try and convert this certificate to appropriate DER encoded binary format would be following:

Copy your Verisign certificate (.cer file) e.g. to some Windows XP computer. When you have the certificate file on your Windows PC don't double click on the certificate file since it would unnecessarily install the certificate on this computer but instead right click on the certificate file and select "Open" (don't select Install when right clicking). This should open up a view showing content of the certificate without installing it on the Windows.

When you have opened the certificate on Windows go to the "Details" tab and select "Copy to File" from lower right corner of the Details view, which starts an certificate export wizard.

Hit next on the Certificate Export Wizard and  select "DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)" format for the exported certificate. Define path and file name where certificate should be exported (e.g. C:\ExportedCertificate.cer) and hit Finish to complete the export process.

Now copy this newly exported DER encoded certificate to your phone and try to install it via phone's File Manager application. Note that exported DER formatted file should also have a file name extension ".cer" even if it is now in different format than originally.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

Thanks,

I was able to install the Versign certificate provided by the university. However, I tried everything else and it did not work.

When connecting to the University wireless, i enter as my user name: tigers/Username in widowns 7

In windows vista I enter:  tigers as my domain.

Is the realm the same as the domain?

Here is the instruction given by the University IT department for windows mobile 6:

1. Download the VeriSign Trust Network Certificate.
  2. Unzip the downloaded file and move the contained Certificate to any location on your Pocket PC.
  3. On your Pocket PC double tap the certificate with your stylus.  You should get this message: One or more certificates were installed successfully.
  4. Tap Start.
  5. Tap Settings.
  6. Tap Connections.
  7. Tap Comm Manager.
  8. Tap the WI-FI button to enable Wireless.  The button should glow yellow.
  9. Tap Exit.
  10. Tap WI-FI.
  11. Tap and hold MizzouWireless.
  12. Click Connect.
  13. Choose Work in the Connects to: dropdown menu.
  14. Tap Next.
  15. Choose WPA2 next to Authentication:.  Choose WPA if WPA2 is not an option.
  16. Choose AES next to Data Encryption:.
  17. Tap Next.
  18. Choose PEAP in the drop down menu.
  19. Tap Finish MizzouWireless should attempt to connect.
  20. Next to User name enter your PawPrint.
  21. Next to Password enter your Password.
  22. Next to Domain: Enter umc-users if you are Faculty/Staff, enter tigers if you are a Student, enter um-users if you are a UM System employee, or enter umhs-users if you are a UM Hospital employee.
  23. Tap ok.
  24. MizzouWireless should connect succssfully.  If MizzouWireless does not connect repeat this process and chose TKIP druring step 16 of this process.

Can you see any chhange i have to do to the procedure that you posted previosuly based on these steps?

Thanks again,

Jimmy 

Contributor

It works ...!!!!!:smileywink:

i had to enter:

username: tigers\username

i will email the procedure to the IT department so they will post it on their webpage !

Thanks a lot !!:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor

Good morning to everyone,

I'm trying to connect a 5800XM to the wireless structure of University of Verona.

I found a pdf with a detailed list of action to connect at  http://www.univr.it/documenti/Documento/allegati/allegati694587.pdf

and downloaded and installed the certificate from http://www.univr.it/documenti/Documento/allegati/allegati639631.cer

Now, the problem is that the certificate installed should be located on "Authority certificates" (or something like that), whereas it's been installed under "Trusted site certificates" .

So, the problem virtually is that trying to configure the right internet access point, I am not able to found the required certificate (the list only shows the  "Authority certificates).

I'm stucked, so I try to ask help to you.

Let me know if I can add some other information.

Thank you very much

MajinJoko

Sage

[ Edited ]

MajinJoko wrote:

Good morning to everyone,

I'm trying to connect a 5800XM to the wireless structure of University of Verona.

I found a pdf with a detailed list of action to connect at  http://www.univr.it/documenti/Documento/allegati/allegati694587.pdf

and downloaded and installed the certificate from http://www.univr.it/documenti/Documento/allegati/allegati639631.cer

Now, the problem is that the certificate installed should be located on "Authority certificates" (or something like that), whereas it's been installed under "Trusted site certificates" .

So, the problem virtually is that trying to configure the right internet access point, I am not able to found the required certificate (the list only shows the  "Authority certificates).

I'm stucked, so I try to ask help to you.

Let me know if I can add some other information.

Thank you very much

MajinJoko

It seems that the certificate file linked above actually contains a "chain" of three certificates. If you "open" the certificate file in Windows PC you can see details of the certificates included. I guess the certificate that got installed on your phone under "Trusted Site Certificates" is  the ACS authentication server certificate (named acs01...)?

Certificate file also contains so called intermediate CA certificate, named "Cybertrust Educational CA" (this certificate has been used for signing the acs01 cert) and this what the PDF instructions tell you to select on the phone but for some reason it did not get installed on the phone.

This "Cybertrust Educational CA" certificate seems to be signed by the actual global root certificate called "GTE CyberTrust Global Root" so there's basically a chain of three certificates involved. Sinceyour phone probably already contains the "GTE CyberTrust Global Root" certificate (it's usually preinstalled) you could first try out setting your phone's internet access point (PEAP settings) so that you choose "GTE CyberTrust Global Root" as an PEAP "Authority Certificate" (instead of Cybertrust Educational CA). Not sure if this works without having the intermediate "Cybertrust Educational CA" certificate installed on the phone but it's perhaps worth to try it out.

In case your PEAP authentication attempts fail using the "GTE Cybertrust Global Root" and you are sure that everything else has been set up correctly then you can also try installing the missing "Educational CA" certificate individually on the phone by exporting this particular certificate from the original certificate (chain) file.

To do this you need an Windows PC where you copy the original certificate ".cer" file and then simply select the .cer file in Windows's File Explorer and right click on it. Select "Open" option to see details of the certificate file (don't Install, but select Open).

Go to "Certification Path" tab and highlight the "Cybertrust Educational CA". Click "View Certificate" and it opens up another view of the particular certificate. Go to Details tab (still on the certificate that was Issued To: Cybertrust Educational CA) and choose "Copy to File". Hit Next and select export format "DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)". Provide file name where to export (e.g. C:\educational_CA_exported.cer) and hit Finish to complete export operation.

Now copy this newly exported .cer file (containing only the Cybertrust Educational CA) to your phone and install it via phone's File Manager application. You should hopefully now have the "Cybertrust Educational CA" installed on the "Authority Certificates" and you should be able to select this CA certificate in your internet access point PEAP settings (as instructed on the linked PDF file above).

Message Edited by saataja on 21-Dec-2009 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm Nokia 5800 XM. I tried to connect to my office network which is hidden, my 5800 identifies the network, but I get a message LEAP authorisation failed. The following are the instructions given in official site for black berry. They only support blackberry.

How-to Connect Your BlackBerry Mobile Device to Wi-Fi

Is your BlackBerry device a model that has Wi-Fi available? If so, follow the below instructions to get your device connected to Wi-Fi.  Please note:  When you reset your PTCNET password you will need to update the BlackBerry Wi-Fi settings to update your password as well.

1. Click Manage Connections on your BlackBerry.

2. Click on Setup Wi-Fi Network

3. Click Next

4. Now you will see three options, 1) Scan for Networks, 2) Manually add a network, and 3) Get Security Key.

5. For a secure network where the password is given to you, click on “Manually add a network”. If you are in a area with wireless that is available to all for free with no password, then select “Scan for networks” and select the network that appears.

6. If you manually add a network (wireless) you will need the SSID of the network as well as the password.

To add PTC_XXXX (The Wifi available at PTC offices follow the instructions above and then proceed with the instructions below).

1. After following the above instructions, enter the SSID : PTC_XXXX

2. For Security type, select LEAP

3. Enter your PTC Username and Password and select Connect.

4. Once it authenticates, select “Key provided for me automatically” and hit OK. When you are in a PTC office and have followed these instructions, you will see PTC_XXXX listed next to the Wifi connection under “Manage Connections” and your color should appear green.

I have given the following options in my 5800:

Connection Name: PTC_XXXX

Data bearer Wireless LAN

WLAN network name: PTC_XXXX

Network status: hidden

WLAN network mode :Infrastructure

WLAN security mode : WPA/WPA2

Homepage : None

Use access point : Automatiacally

WLAN security settings

WPA/WPA2 : EAP

WPA2 only mode : off

EAP plug-in settings:

EAP-LEAP only enabled

EAP-LEAP settings:

User name: My PC user name

Propt Password: No

Password: My PC password

After all this I could not connect to the wifi network, where as my colleague using I-Touch, is able to connect simply, while connecting on I-Touch he(automatically) got a certificate popup to accept. On I-touch he used WPA-Enterprise option. Please help me.....

Registered Member

Hello!

I need some help connecting to the WLAN that I have at home using my Nokia E63. 

The network has some security requests, that I think I have covered. The MAC adress of the phone has been set in the router so that it should allow it to connect. I have chosen my network and then i have followed the following steps: options->edit access point->data bearer->options->advanced settings->ipv4 settings->i set the phone's IP adress, subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS. Theorethically, at least, now it should work. But when i try using the browser:->start web browsing->www.google.com (lets say)-> I get the answer "No gateway reply". 

I don't know if I have explained vrey clear my problem, as I have the IT knowledge of a simple user. If you need more information from me, please ask and also I would very much appreciate if you couls tell me where exactly I can get it from the computer or the phone, so that I can give them easily to you.

Please help me solve this problem! I have this phone for over a month, but I could not enjoy this feature.

Thank you very much!

Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply,

and forgive me for the delay..

I found the certificate I needed looking on Google. I set up my device following the instructions published on the site of University and get connected.

I'm using Linux, so I can't try the solution you give me.

Thank you very much for the help.

MajinJoko

I CANT CONNECT MY NOKIA 5800 TO MYLAP TOP .MY INTERNET IS BSNL EVDO CARD WIRELESS INTERNETPLEASE HELP ME OUT
Registered Member

SSID: agiwlan

Network Authentication:  WPA2- Enterprise

Data Encryption: TKIP

Authentication Type: TTLS

Authentication Protocol MS-CHAPv2

(use your Agilent Window ID and password)

This is my workplace WIFI but i have problem connecting.. I cant seem to find TKIP data encryption.. Please help.

Thansk.

Fisol