Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Demand Paging for E-Series

Advisor

Demand Paging for E-Series

When will nokia develop new firmware with demand paging for e-series devices like e61i, e65 and e90 ? we already know that n95 has demand paging. Even n73 has it in the latest firmware. This had sped up n73 tremendously (note: n73 is older than most e-series & it does not have wifi)

so my question is :

1) is demand paging exclusive for n-series ?
2) will future versions of firmware for e-series devices have
demand paging ?
3) will there be new versions of firmware for e-series devices as
fast as nokia has developed new firmware for n-series
almost every 3-6 months for each n-series model.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Re: Demand Paging for E-Series

I don't believe the N73 has demand paging. The latest firmware version does not free up any significant amount of RAM ( when it was added to the N95, the free RAM jumped up 7-8MB ).

As far as I know, the only models out there that do are the N95 with v20 firmware, and N95 8GB and N82. They are all based on Symbian 9.2/S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 ( the N73 is older, Symbian 9.1 and S60 3rd Edition without any Feature Packs ).
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i have a n73 too, apart from the e-series device

with the new firmware i notice :

1) faster ui
2) more free ram at startup
3) faster startup
4) faster processing speed of running applications.

nokia has certainly done something to n73 to speed it up, because it is one of the mobiles to support the new ngage platform.

whatever was done to n73, needs to be done to e-series as well as we business oriented customers need better performance too even though we dont have multi megapixel cameras, gps and stuff.

increase in performance is needed in e-series for better web browsing experience, and other applications.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Jaakko Kaidesoja

N-Gage boss: 'We're not scared of the PlayStation phone'
-------------------------------------------------------------

N73 will be one of the mobiles supporting the new n-gage platfrom

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/N-Gage/N-Gage+(next+gen+platform)/news.asp?c=5917

--------------------------------------------------------------

The N82 and both N95 handsets will be next in line for the commercial launch, but bad news N73 owners: you're going to have to wait a while.

"We promised the N73 earlier, but we found some memory issues, as it has a lower memory spec than other devices," says Kaidesoja. "That gives some headaches, but we'll deal with that, and will release for the device during the second quarter."

-----------------------------------------------------------

so clearly from here we can understand that something drastic is going to be done to the n73 yet again... to support the new n-gage platfrom and improve its performace.... why these improvements are never made to the e-series ?

PS : can anyone enlighten me on the processor specs for both n73 and e61i...

Message Edited by jananan on 02-Mar-2008 08:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

is there a way nokia could show platform and device update pathways ?,so that we buyers will know beforehand which device is going to be updated frequently and which device gets left behind....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

07-Mar-2008 12:40 AM
jananan wrote:
is there a way nokia could show platform and device update pathways ?,so that we buyers will know beforehand which device is going to be updated frequently and which device gets left behind....

The E series always gets left behind.
Please use plain text.
Sage
awesome

I would like to see Demand Paging for E90 too.
Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri AKA Awesome
Arab Portal
Phones: Waiting for E9x with Scheduled SMS on it, and 9300i features..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
musicl

[ Edited ]
Come on nokia, get your act together for the E series. See my thread in my favourite nokia forum:
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35742

Nokia should just do away with the E series and make an N series communicator since they are faster, get more frequent updates, preferentially treatments, support and software.

Come on Nokia, money where the mouth is - support the E!

Message Edited by musicl on 23-Mar-2008 03:04 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

there are talks of a 3.x firmware on some nokia sites...

the thing is, when some users click on some programs nokia has put up (most probably beta labs) the webpage says firmware 3.x requires for some e-series devices when clearly there is none...

PS: they could be meaning e61 plain w/o camera as it has v3.x

anyway lets wait and see for a few more months... maybe "someone" from nokia will see this thread...

for now, all we can do is keep updating this thread so that it stays afloat and someone sees it...

thanks for all the replies...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rossel

Nokia should give an eye to the E-series.I have an e61i.A lot of E-series fans are all around.Nokia dont publish any firmware for example for e61i for a long time....It has some speed(UI),loudspeaker(in call) issues, which are very basic.....So nokia plz give us newer firmware.....at least one per 6 months for not too old e-series phones....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
musicl

Agree with jananan - all we can do is keep this thread alive and make sure this is a big enough issue for nokia to respond to with actions..meaning updates :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rossel

Where are the E-series folks out there.....there are only 12 posts in this thread. In order to keep this important thread alive a lot more response is required... Demand paging is a very tweaky and technical thing. It is possible in symbian 9.1(without any feature pack) in a moderate way than the n95. Just need to some delicate touches from some nokia vateran developers.....
Please use plain text.
Sage
skanker

[ Edited ]
Hello all,

It's really annoying to see E-series devices stuck in 1 or 2 updates... I really didn't see that coming when I decided to buy E65.

I was expecting a fast and responsive phone, that got even "extreme tunned" with frequent updates, to provide the best possible device (within the possibilities/capabiities of the hardware) but what I got was a nice looking phone, with (almost) no support at all, stuck in the basic functions... (I'm talking about the known TKIP WIFI issues, the inability to use camera and web browser in landscape mode, and so on...)

As you say above, to implement demand paging in a E-series device shouldn't be that difficult as we're talking about the same OS as N73...
It's a shame that Nokia still treat E-devices like that.
And no one cares about that (other than us, the costumers...)

Cheers!

Message Edited by skanker on 30-Mar-2008 05:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

30-Mar-2008 07:48 PM
skanker wrote:

As you say above, to implement demand paging in a E-series device shouldn't be that difficult as we're talking about the same OS as N73...

There's no demand paging support on the N73. It is available on the latest firmware versions of the N95 and the N95 8GB.
Please use plain text.
Sage
skanker

Hello petrib,

I misunderstood that. But I read somewhere that the last N73 firmware certainly did something to the system as it became faster than it was until then.
Whatever Nokia did, E65 needs it too...
The phone is slow in some functions (as the camera, the message menu, etc...)

Cheers
Please use plain text.