Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Disable "Packet Data"-Connection - How?

Advisor
gfrezz
Accepted Solution

Disable "Packet Data"-Connection - How?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

own a Nokia C5-00 since one week.

My question(s): When using Maps the phone is always building up a packet data connection.

1. Why?. I think it should be enough to use the integrated GPS-Signal (even if it takes a bit longer to find my position sometimes)

2. Where can i durable shutdown this function?. I have changed all settings in the way that the phone should ask before building any connections, but that doesnt work.

The phone is used in a rate model where i am one out of three members and that since bout 8 years. Im afraid that data costs are not really cheap in this "old" rate :-)

Thanks.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Disable "Packet Data"-Connection - How?

You can't shut it down as such but you can delete the packet data access point if you never want to you it or alternatively you could just disable the positioning methods which required server access. To do this, go to positioning methods and untick everything other than Integrated GPS. Position fix will be substantially slower.

Advisor
gfrezz

Thats the awnser that i dont wanted to hear *ggg*. I dont want to delete the access points because sometimes i need a connection to different services on the net. But this is maybe once or twice a week (searching phone numbers for example).

The settings you told are already done. There is only the integrated GPS active (and it works pretty fine, by the way). The settings for the access points are on "after confirmation" (sorry, my used language on device is german, dont know the exact word in the english menu). But the device never asks :-.(

Maybe this is wanted by the network operators to earn a few extra euros?

I already found a solution, but its really NOT smart and just a bracket:

If the device is set to ask for the password to set the connection i am able to say no, but: EVERY 2 MINUTES?!! I dont have to start a program, the device is starting the connecton by itself in defined intervals  Thats not the way this should work in a phone buyed in 2010!! Every time i switch free the keypad i have to say no to connecting awnser. Annoying.

Im sure there are many users which are happy about the permanent connection because they use their phone in another way than i do. Maybe this users wont buy a C5 *g* but thats another thing. But the decision-making should stay in hands of the user imho.

At the moment it seem to be the only solution but maybe.............

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

try menu ,settings,connectivity,packet data ,select when needed

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Advisor
gfrezz

Also already done :-), but, guess what, it doesnt fix it.

Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

hmmm!

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Advisor
gfrezz

Its funny in general. Packet Date can be used "when needed" or "when available". But not "when user wants it" :-)

But the bracket works fine so far and i start to lump with it.

Advisor
gfrezz

I thougt i could live with my problem, but this thing is so cr**, i think about a phone change. When i use my c5 as Navi i have to quit the password question for the connection nearly permanetly. Sometimes the device doesnt ask for an hour, then it trys to connect every few seconds, on and on again. Thats so annoying. If anyone reads this who is able to change: Please integrate a better system in next Firmwareupdate.

By the way: Like every of my Nokia Phones before, C5 has to be started new 2-3 times every week. Like an old Windows-PC :smileysad:

Also because of the connection problem.

Advisor
eijsenga

Are you referring to the use of packet data connection when using maps?

When I'm using maps, the C5 only builds up a packet data connection when I have maps/options/settings/internet/connection set to offline (German: Karten/Optionen/Einstellungen/Internet/Verbindung).

Am I right assuming that a data connection is not used that way?

Nokia C5
Nokia 5310
Advisor
gfrezz

Hello,

how i wrote at the beginning: I don´t understand why the phone generally needs a data packet connection when navigating? What for? And, how also already wrote, the problem isnt borderd at the navigation.

I had to pay over 40 Euros for Data because of this dilletantish solution last month. And all i want is to decide on my own when i want to use a connection. Just a third point beside "Use data packet when needed" and "Use data packet when available" maybe named "Only set connection when user needs one"?

My opinion stays the same: This bad habit to enable internet connections at all time may be ok for a lot of users, but for me its just a way to let the provider earn a few extra euros.

In the end the only solution for me is to delete the access points and use the phone without.

Greetings and thanks to all helpers

gfrezz

Counsellor
MooYork

gfrezz, you are right. It's a freaking joke.

I'm in another country. I preloaded my maps into Nokia Ovi Maps before I left.

As far as I can tell, it impossible to use Maps in pure GPS mode. I don't want AGPS, I don't want packet data, I don't want any data. I want it to work like a Garmin.

While trying to get it working, I let a 100k of data slip by. **bleep**!

When you start Maps and are roaming, Maps comes up and says "You are roaming blah blah..." and the ONLY OPTION to choose is "OK".

Where was my "Not OK" option?!! You have to be kidding me.

Counsellor
kaych

Have you tried settings>general>positioning>positioning methods

and disable everything except "integrated GPS".

That and in ovi maps app, go to settings>internet>connect; make it

offline and it never uses the data connection.

Counsellor
kaych

If you want it to "always ask" for apps other than navigation (like mail etc), go to
settings>connection>destinations>options>default connection

select "Always ask".
Advisor
gfrezz

Hi kaych,

all this settings (i tried every combination i think) does not stop the permanent pop up which i have to quit with no. You are right, in this way i dont produce data (and the biggest problem is solved). I deleted all accesspoints now, not the smartest solution but the only one. The operative range is much more smaller (i cannot search for phone nunbers or other things which are sometimes neccesary) because when i want to use this i cannot solve the bigger problem. Its silly and a bit like a dog biting his tail.

Even now, when i start maps, the device says "Connection failure, try again". Thats ok for me now but it shows, that Nokia programmed it in a way that tries to connect always, even if all GPS Oprions are off, except "integrated GPS". And that is neither useful nor needful.I dont understand it.

But maybe i dont have to understand everything what is going on in this world. In the end i am quiet happy with the maps application (the main reason for buying the phone). My opinion stays the same:

Device producers arent independent from providers, so they have to keep an eye at whose wishes, and data is one way to earn money in times where calling and smsing doesnt bring much money any more.

I´ll try another brand next time and i am quiet sure: More of the same.

gfrezz

Counsellor
kaych

Odd. The ovi map app doesen't ever ask me to connect to the net. Are you sure in the ovi maps app, settings>internet>connection shows offline for you ?
Also try making settings>synchronization to manual.

If the problem still persists, maybe it behaves differently for different regions. I'm in india where
data rates are high and inability to disable it would be a big annoyance.
Counsellor
rpospisi

Try Roaming Guard to prevent an unpredictable access to data in roaming. Roaming Guard monitors the application access to the internet and, according to selected settings, enables or denies this access. In version 1.03 access may be controlled for individual items shown in the application's main window, MMS, E-mail, Web, Mail for Exchange, RoadSync, Skype, Ovi Maps, Assisted GPS and Other data, depending on installed applications.

Advisor
gfrezz

Hey guys,

its me again. There are two options now:

1. I am completley dumb, possible but not evident.

2. My problem solved with the new firmware

If 1: : Thanks for all helpers in here and please excuse the effort. After trying some settings again, the popup seems to be history.

If 2 : Thanks to whoever had fixed this thing, unfortunatly now i have another problem and this is definitly my last nokia but therefor i will start another topic.

Greetings

gfrezz

Contributor
uaturk

[ Edited ]

Hello,
I have experienced the same problem. We had purchased the Nokia C5-00 phone for my mother.  She wanted classical type phone with camera and easy-to-see keyboard. She do not need any internet access, Ovi store, Maps, etc. 
I did the followings;
Menu --> Settings --> Settings --> General --> Positioning --> Positioning methods: I unchecked all (disabled all) (Bluetooth GPS, Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS, Network based)
Menu --> Settings --> Settings --> General --> Positioning --> Positioning server --> Positioning server use: Disabled
Menu --> Maps --> Options --> Internet --> Connection: Offline
Menu --> Settings --> Settings --> Connection --> Destinations: I deleted all access points
Menu --> Settings --> Settings --> Connection --> Packet data --> Packet data connection: When needed
Menu --> Settings --> Settings --> Connection --> Packet data --> Access point: None
But I get the message "Select connection: (no data)" when I trying to answer an incoming call.
First I have to select "Cancel" to disable that message, then I will be able to press the "Yes" button to answer the incoming call.
I do not know exactly which application tries to establish an internet connection.
And you are right, we are now in 2010, we do not desired such system errors or logical errors (or attempt to earn some more money) on our phones.. Is there anybody who knows the solution?
Or can Nokia engineers help us who do not want to connect the internet without wish or permission?

Contributor
uaturk

This topic was tagged as "SOLVED" but I do not think so..

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you never ever wish to connect to the internet, the simplest solution is to delete all access points.