Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Dual SIM phone

Registered Member
Yezzo

Dual SIM phone

Why Nokia doesnt have any dual SIM series like Samsung Duos ?

Me nad many of my colegues are waiting for some dual SIM product but only still waiting ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

This is a question that comes back time and time again. There isn't sufficient worldwide demand for Nokia to invest in developping them. Nokia is the biggest mobile phone company in terms of worldwide sales, so broadly speaking it develops technologies that are easily adaptable to many markets.

Samsung is a much smaller player in the mobile market, and for Samsung Mobile the Asian markets where dual-SIM devices are very popular are more significant to Samsung sales, so it has more impetus to create them.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Then, there's the cultural factor. Don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but over here it is almost an icon of snobbishness to go about sporting several cellphones. The extreme was this guy I saw the other day, bedecked with five (5) cells hanging from his belt; must have been a special Kevlar-reinforced variety, to be able to hold his pants up! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Haha, maybe that's the new big thing having your belt filled up with phones. What do you do when everyone starts to ring? :smileytongue:
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

jcourcoul wrote:

Then, there's the cultural factor. Don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but over here it is almost an icon of snobbishness to go about sporting several cellphones. The extreme was this guy I saw the other day, bedecked with five (5) cells hanging from his belt; must have been a special Kevlar-reinforced variety, to be able to hold his pants up! :smileyvery-happy:

Lots of people carry two phones, a business one and a personal one. I have two because I user my standard SIM for most calls and a special one for making calls to family and friends abroad, so depending where people know me from they have one of two different numbers to contact me. Seven is a bit extreme, that I can't imagine!!

The other issue is that in many markets, including the US, much of Europe and Australasia, is that the majority of phones sold are part of network packages and are SIM-locked; so dual SIM wouldn't be much use unless you wanted to use two SIMs from the same operator; which would be pointless as in that case it would be more sensible to have a dual-line SIM.

Please use plain text.
jgweba

I can bet that if a worldwide survey could be conducted in finding out how many loyal Nokia clients would love to have a dual sim card phone, you would be blown away by the number of positive respond.

These days an ordinary person has more than one sim card serving different purposes. Whether is for running a small business, employment related or personal use, the fact remains. On the other hand, some contract phones come with a new sim card and mobile number. And the terms and conditions are rigid forcing people not to throw away their pre-paid sim cards for flexible whenever they run out of units on their contract phones.

Besides, to switch off and on the phone whenever you want to swap sim cards is dam irritating and a waste of time. And not to mention losing the unused sim card since you have to safe and easily accessible place to put it.

This slow or total ignorance of Nokia to start the production of dual sim card phones create a gap in demand of dual sim card phones of which pirates and other rivals are more than happy to fill up. I recently bought a fake N900 in Congo, Lumbumbashi due to its dual sim card capability then later sold it to a friend still sealed in a box. All the fake phones sold their have the dual sim card capability.

I know its a piece of cake for Nokia to make such a device and software. I just don't think that having the biggest piece of the pie in the worldwide market of mobile phones should be the reason not to invest in dual sim card mobile phones.

Please use plain text.