Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E 90 NOT a communicator. PLEASE COMMENT

Contributor

hey... "babibengkak" is ABSOLUTELY right. How such a "sophisticated communicator" cannot read such a quickoffice file from n9500??!
is there anybody with the same problem??
Please use plain text.
Professor

21-Sep-200711:43 AM
dhanur_itebe wrote:
hey... "babibengkak" is ABSOLUTELY right. How such a "sophisticated communicator" cannot read such a quickoffice file from n9500??!
is there anybody with the same problem??

Still no luck opening office files received from N9500? Hmhh.. Should be Ok just sending via BT and opening.

But yes, that most probably is the fact, that N9500 did support more formats then E90. And backwards everything should be supported. But no :smileysad:

Could you dhanur_itebe say, how did you move office files from N9500 to E90?
Please use plain text.
Professor

Well.. Would be good if Nokia would support customers in these kind of cases :smileywink: As these should be tested and clarified in Nokia lot before E90 was on sale (backward compatibility for older communicators..)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

21-Sep-200712:34 PM
turo wrote:
Well.. Would be good if Nokia would support customers in these kind of cases :smileywink: As these should be tested and clarified in Nokia lot before E90 was on sale (backward compatibility for older communicators..)

Not the old, "Nokia should have done this or that with the software" argument. As stated several times, Nokia does not make the software. They did not develop it. They do license it though and if the company that develops it changes the way it is formatted or has different versions, Nokia can not directly influence unless of course they are willing to pay for this.

M$ did this with Office 97, when they decided to make it not backwards compatible. Did people blame Dell, or Gateway or Acer for this? No, they blamed M$ as they should be blamed since M$ developed the software in the first place.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Professor

21-Sep-200702:05 PM
sapporobaby wrote:
As stated several times, Nokia does not make the software. They did not develop it. They do license it though and if the company that develops it changes the way it is formatted or has different versions, Nokia can not directly influence unless of course they are willing to pay for this.

So what you mean is that Nokia has no responsability what so ever to us, the customers, when it comes to software installed in the phones, just because they did not develop it ?

When you buy a computer you have the choice not to buy the OS. Later, you have several choices: Windows, Linux, etc. If you choose Windows, than Microsoft is giving the support for it (including all up-dates via their websites)

Nokia phones comes with only one software, that software cannot be changed, and the support and up-dates are given by Nokia. So the software is entirely their responsibility, as is the hardware of the phone.

I am sorry but your theory does not hold water...
2110i, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6670, 9300, 9300i, E90, E72, HTC Touch Pro2, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

[ Edited ]

21-Sep-200702:30 PM
vmoisa wrote:

So what you mean is that Nokia has no responsability what so ever to us, the customers, when it comes to software installed in the phones, just because they did not develop it ?

When you buy a computer you have the choice not to buy the OS. Later, you have several choices: Windows, Linux, etc. If you choose Windows, than Microsoft is giving the support for it (including all up-dates via their websites)

Nokia phones comes with only one software, that software cannot be changed, and the support and up-dates are given by Nokia. So the software is entirely their responsibility, as is the hardware of the phone.

I am sorry but your theory does not hold water...

I said and you can re-read it again. Nokia did not develop it, so they have little to no decision in how it will be migrated from platform to platform. Don't believe me, then give them a call and ask them to support the software and give a solution and see if they don't direct you to the developers website. Hardware issues and Nokia developed software, I agree, they should support, and maintain, but 3rd party software that they license is not their direct responsibility.

You are argument about buying a computer is equally weak. If I install Symantec on my Mac and suddenly my hard drive stops working, who do you think I should call? The developers of the DVD drive, the LED manufacturers, or maybe Apple. Go re-think your argument. This was too easy.

Moderator note: personal comment removed

Message Edited by michaels on 24-Sep-2007 02:10 PM

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Professor

21-Sep-200703:05 PM
sapporobaby wrote:

M$ did this with Office 97, when they decided to make it not backwards compatible. Did people blame Dell, or Gateway or Acer for this? No, they blamed M$ as they should be blamed since M$ developed the software in the first place.

M$ Office 97 NOT backward compatible ?????

First time I read this ! I never encountered such a problem with M$ Officie suite ! I'm a fervant user of M$ suite (from 6.0 to 2007).

Again, when you buy a PC, you can give it Linux with OpenOffice suite or out of the box M$ stuff, or ...

You don't buy a mobile, smartphone, PDA, or ... with the same idea.
You need something that will ASAP provide you the full functionality without having to loose your precious time in configuration, reporting problems, trying to discover workaround, looking for soft to could maybe help you in certain case, sharing your experience with other in a forum like we do now, ...

A mobile is to call, if it suite a GPS, then it must help you finding your way, if containing a PIM it should be easy to use, ...

The first one who has to decide what to install, configure, test if OK, ... is in our case NOKIA.

For 899 € he can must provide us GOOD, EASY to use and RELIABLE software and hardware.

Don't ask my father, my wife or my daughter to install, change, configure or ... the E90 !
You get it in your nooze (not yours specific :smileywink: ) !
And they treat you to be "Stupid" having put so much money in such a brol !

This is MY daily exerience !

E90 id a box where software is bundled with the hardware, point barre.

A color printer has to print in color, RED has to be red, ...
Did you ever think you would have to modify the driver to adapt it to your specific needs ?
No a printer has to print, and has to print correctly.
IF not : BACK to the provider.

The E90 is the same.

My impression is : I pass more time to try any new, better configuration options than using it for my business !

NOKIA's reaction I got today is worst than I thaught.
I'm totally disappointed !

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

@dom,

I am still not sure what you problem is, but if I buy a computer and some software bundle is pre-installed, and this software has a problem, I call the software manufacture, not the computer manufacturer. This can't be that hard.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Glad to see that after a momentary lull, it's business as usual on this Forum.

The situation is quite clear. Consumer buys the product. Vendor makes a profit. Vendor liable. The phone as sold says Nokia on it. If Nokia don't want to take responsibility for any part of the finished retail item, they shouldn't include it. But they do want to include some sort of "office" software because without it, their retail offer looks even worse, so they choose to supply sub-standard, uncompetitive software.

Analogy has been made before re car manufacturing. You buy a Mercedes. Component fails or does not perform. Consumer does not need to know whether Mercedes made the component or not, it's down to Mercedes to fix it.

Nokia, you should be ashamed.
Please use plain text.
Professor

As said before, Nokia owns part of the Symbyan, so THEY DO have influence on the software. But they have choosen to put the cheapest software on the most expensive phone and make the highest margin. Good for them and their shareholders on short run, bad for the customers and ultimately bad for them on the long run.
2110i, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6670, 9300, 9300i, E90, E72, HTC Touch Pro2, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

First things first.

Those who are purposely down rating people, the mods are watching and taking note of who is doing it. So enjoy your time before the ban.

Now down to biz.

Scenario 1.

If company A makes widgets that turn clock wise, and company B buys these widgets but company A decides to quit the widget biz all together, who is libel. Company A or company B?

Scenario 2.

If company A makes thing-a-ma-bobs and company B licensed these for their previous model product, but 2 years later company A makes an improvement (or whatever to said product), but this product no longer works with the previous 2 year version, who is responsible? Company A or company B?

All of you "so-called" business people should be able to figure this out.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

21-Sep-200704:40 PM
sapporobaby wrote:
First things first.

Those who are purposely down rating people, the mods are watching and taking note of who is doing it. So enjoy your time before the ban.

Now down to biz.

1. Why being banned unless mod does not apreciates the truth ?

2. Again I don't care about A or B.

I baught a "super top de luxe smartphone".
It has defacto, written on the box, on the flyers, ... functionalities announced (GPS, PIM, ...) and these well announced functionalities are not present or at least are simply useless.

3. I paid a huge amount of money to enjoy the most powerfull and complete smartphone.

4. The result is very high potential (I really recognize this point) with very low useness !

5. As I already told you, don't try to give it to my father, my wife or my daughter, they won't accept to go into menu, options, tools, or whateverelse just to look for a damned simple phone number !

Please, be honnest, you are NOT the only one on this planet !
Not everyone appreciate to pay a lot to get less.

Understand this and this debat will go on.

Domdom.

Moderator note: ratings exist so that you can make a simple statement as to whether a post helped to answer your question or not. If we see evidence that individuals are abusing the system by deliberately and systematically marking down others as part of a childish fight, then we will step in. Moderators are not here to censor comments that criticise Nokia, but usage of the boards must be in accordance with the rules.

Personal comment towards another user removed.

Message Edited by michaels on 24-Sep-2007 02:19 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

[ Edited ]

21-Sep-200704:13 PM
dom_dom wrote:

Please, be honnest, you are NOT the only one on this planet !
Not everyone appreciate to pay a lot to get less.

Understand this and this debat will go on.

Domdom.

I never said I was the only person on this planet, but I am a person that does not happen to agree with the opinions of you and your cabal, and you don't have to agree with mine. I could not care less what you and your minions think about me, Nokia, the E90, the price of bananas, etc.... It is your money and you can do whatever you want with it. I am pretty much pleased with my E90. It does what it was advertised to do. It has some faults but what device this sophisticated doesn't? So, with the software I've added, I am enjoying my E90 experience.

I think we are done here.

Moderator notes: references to personal comment in earlier post removed, as that comment has also been removed.

Message Edited by michaels on 24-Sep-2007 02:24 PM

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

In order to help with your confusion Sapporo, simple is best.

If it says Nokia on it, one's recourse is to and with Nokia.

The corollary of your flawed argument is : if there is an issue with the screen on the Nokia device, your logic would suggest that the consumer's course of action would be against the (anonymous) screen manufacturer. I don't think so.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

21-Sep-200705:05 PM
amanda5 wrote:
Could you dhanur_itebe say, how did you move office files from N9500 to E90?

nokia data remover (please don't ask me just like iam an idiot or something.. my frinds got the same problm. too)

nokia e90.. what a worthless "thing" to buy..(unless my problem get solved)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Welcome back one and ALL let the games begin...... Again. As for me, Just want to say This phone if anything is probably the most controversial of nokias latest products. I guess it must be worth some of their time to look into the issues posted regardless of the source, SW, HW or HW design. the uneven rubber mounts, screen and keyboard scratching, mic defects are non SW also what about the after sales service (or lack thereof) and lets not even get into the SW. So i guess Nokia must take some of the blame right? or maybe its our fault for buying the thing?? and yes I dont remember reading about the HW and HW design problems before i bought the phone. so lets not go there pls. BTW the impetus for this post is not to get into anybodies nerves, or drag Nokias name thru the mud, but just to get Nokia to wake up and smell the COFFEE!
9110,9210,i,9500,9300,i,E90 I still miss my 9300i , E71, E72 But......
Please use plain text.
Contributor

it should be "turo" whom i quote... not "amanda5"
Right.. e90 is completely useless..haha
Please use plain text.
Sage
wolf666

Gentlemen,
save your energies for the release of the new firmware.

Surely, if it will fail to satisfy the most, I think a large part of Nokia Business Customers will ebay this handset.

Let's see.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Ciao bello.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

By the way Wolf666,

I was talking to my Nokia friend. The new Communicator (if that is what it will be called) will be awesome and totally radical. Send me a PM and I will fill you in.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.