Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E90 is NOT a Communicator - DEFFINITELY !

Professor

Re: E 90 NOT a communicator. PLEASE COMMENT

[ Edited ]

22-Sep-200712:44 PM
sapporobaby wrote:
Being that I do not know everything but am not afraid to do a bit of research, why not start with: www.bitween.com for the fax software that you crave. I am sure they would love to hear from you. As for Quickoffice, try this: www.quickoffice.com. See there is a menu item labeled: About. They provide all kinds of info. Once again, too easy.

What about the software which really gets the most criticism: messaging, contacts, calendar, log, etc. ? If you do not know what company to point our fingers to for issues, then just shut up when we blaim Nokia for the problems.

I will not even bother to answer to your other message. It is only full of ...bleep... as usual...

Moderator note: personal comment aimed at another user removed.

Message Edited by michaels on 24-Sep-2007 02:38 PM

2110i, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6670, 9300, 9300i, E90, E72, HTC Touch Pro2, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Forgot to post this:

Open up your device
By default, the E90 and other modern Series 60 smartphones come 'locked down' in terms of the applications they'll accept, installing only those that have large companies behind them, able to afford the expensive 'signing' process. But there are hundreds of other great applications, many of them free, that are 'unsigned' ('self-signed') (although under S60 3rd Edition, totally unsigned applications are slightly restricted in what they can do). Don't worry about this (see my malware article to put your mind at rest). Just go to 'Settings | Applications | App manager' and set 'Software installation' to "All". and 'Online certif check' to "Off". You can now install any compatible program without being blocked by spurious security warnings!
Use those shortcuts!
As befits a communicator with a proper keyboard, Nokia have outfitted the E90 with lots of shortcuts, although it still falls a bit short of those in its full (Series 80-driven) 9500 predecessor. Here are a few of my favourites, some obvious (as they're similar to those in non-keyboard S60 devices) and some not so obvious:
In any text-entry application or dialog, Ctrl-C copies highlighted text, Ctrl-X cuts it and Ctrl-V pastes it, just as in any desktop application.
In Web, '8' brings up the mini-Map, '1' gives you bookmarks, '5' switches windows.
At any point in the E90, you can:
cycle between running programs, Windows-style, by holding down 'Chr' and pressing 'Tab' until you get to the app you want
use 'Chr'-'p' to switch Profiles

In Gallery/Images, '3' rotates images, '*' toggles full-screen on/off, while '5' zooms in and '0' zooms out.
In Gallery/Video clips, '2' toggles full-screen playback and navigator-up fast forwards within a clip.
In Calendar, '#' takes you to 'Today, though watch out that the current firmware has a bug that doesn't update the right hand information pane.
There are plenty more shortcuts to find and enjoy (and don't forget the row of dedicated application buttons beneath the screen, they're easy to overlook if you've come from another S60 device!), even in third party applications (see the next item), though it's hard to remember them all - the ones above should save you the most time.
A better Office
The E90 comes with a stable but fairly old and un-optimised-for-the-E90 version of Quickoffice (v3.85). I strongly recommend paying the extra and doing the upgrade to the latest v4.5. It's better in all departments, it's faster, it's more compatible with more files, and, best of all, it has loads of extra keyboard shortcuts for the E90, designed to make old Nokia 9500 users feel at home, mimicking many of the key combinations of the office apps under Series 80 on the 9300 and 9500.
Levelling up
Many E90s have uneven rubber feet fitted, seemingly. If yours 'wobbles', experiment with shaving down or even removing the 'tallest' foot. Worked wonders with my device!
Pump up the brightness (1)
The default themes that ship with the Nokia E90 are mainly dark and boring. Maybe they 'fit' the idea of a business device, but you'd be a lot better served with a simply bright and white theme, such as this one: white_revisited_13.sis (sorry, no idea where it came from now!) More contrast and a much simpler and less distracting display!

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Are we back in bidness? :smileyhappy:

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Best bahaviour, ladies and gents, I have my whip ready!

Keep it constructive...

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Professor

If E90 is a Communicator, than Nokia could call just as easily a "Communicator" most of its E-series, especially E70, N95 and E61i.

All the previous Communicators had very powerful software, WAY ahead of any other Nokia phone on the market at that time. Previous Communicators were easy to use, had computer-like software and they were respected by everybody.

E90 however has just the same software as many other E-series, and that is years behind its 9x00 predecessors. I cannot believe that E90 has almost identical software as the 6670 which I used years ago !
2110i, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6670, 9300, 9300i, E90, E72, HTC Touch Pro2, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

[ Edited ]
If you have not noticed, the Communicator line is probably on the way out. From what I have seen regarding the upcoming device, there is a good chance it will not even be called a Communicator. It could be the E-whatever. E-series denote a mobile, media rich, hi-speed platform while the Communicator is a throw back to older technology.

In the article I posted, the guy stated that you could do many of the same things you could do with the 9xxx series but you do them differently on the E90. This is somewhat true.

P.S. What happened with your battery? Did you get a new on or try those steps I recommended?

Message Edited by sapporobaby on 25-Sep-200709:36 PM

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Professor

25-Sep-200709:35 PM
sapporobaby wrote:
From what I have seen regarding the upcoming device, there is a good chance it will not even be called a Communicator. It could be the E-whatever.

As long as they do not create confusion, I am OK. If E90 was not called a Communicator, my complains here would not have even existed. Because all my complains are by comparing the features on E90 with those on previous communicators. If I compare E90 with the rest of the E-series, E90 is the greatest E-series ever, only price could be an inconvenient.

sapporobaby wrote:
In the article I posted, the guy stated that you could do many of the same things you could do with the 9xxx series but you do them differently on the E90. This is somewhat true.

It is true that most things can be done on E90, but more complicated and by pressing more keys. Others cannot be done at all (multiple messages, undo, etc.)

P.S. What happened with your battery? Did you get a new on or try those steps I recommended?

Same thing, no improvement. I think I just use it too heavily. However, I do not care about it as long as I get 12 hours out of it. And I have chargers everywhere I am (office, home, car, friends, etc.)
Please use plain text.
Sage

I cannot reply to the post about my missing the FAX but would like to thank the poster as i did indeed miss the bullet on the fax. I still disagree but such is life. BTW sapporobaby I did find a solution, Efax has a philippine number for $16.95 so I know will have to pay 16% a year for a feature i used to get for free. I am also looking at just getting a local efax for my office and use a convertion SW to attach and email to my acct.

as for post on being forced to Buy E90 for me no one put a gun to my head, I also folloed intently the pre production reviews and forum at My-symbian. Yes they mentioned no scheduled sms and fax. but they said there should be 3rd party solutions available. so I got the E90 on that premise. unfortunately the 3rd party solutions available today are not as seamless as i would like. so I shall wait and see.

lastly i think for many previous communicator users. I guess we expect the next Gen communicator (E90) would be the natural upgrade path. i think its the dissapointment that has resulted in all the comments
9110,9210,i,9500,9300,i,E90 I still miss my 9300i , E71, E72 But......
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]
Yeah.

If E90 would be first communicator, it would be great! If updating from S60, it would be Ok.

3rd party sw still has proplems in integration and PDA usability. Very fju sw is designed to be used from PDA in E90. E90 is only S60 device having big screen and qwerty (qwerty has for some, but not in way E90 has).

And sw in device is also example from communicator sw to 3rd party developers. And examples are not very good at the moment have to say :smileywink:

+ most important sw as out of the box are messaging and tel and contacts and browser and log (etc). No improvements in S60 for years? Why not i wonder. Communicators has shown those could be better :smileyhappy:

So if I prefer to use 3rd party and S60, why not select basic device for cheaper price? Then 3rd party sw is actually designed for keypad and screen = better usability even not having all keys and big screen?

I have to just say, that I keep E70 better device then E90. In E70, you don't expect good usability of qwerty. Or shortcuts or fancy multitasking. You know all ain't fluent so you'll manage Ok. I just haven't seen application, that would use screen in E90 like should (example like file manager in 9500, messaging in 9500, contacts in 9500).

If i had 7650, I could see phonebook in that vs E90. Or calculator or contacts or messaging. 7650 was released in 2002 about. Most important applications in mobile, no usability improvements in 5 years on UI :smileysad:

Message Edited by turo on 26-Sep-200708:33 AM

Please use plain text.
Professor

turo,

you're right.

None of the one I've tried, is used for E90 ?
Except Handy Calendar well done, easy to use (yess, it does exist !) BUT buggy :smileysad: :smileysad:

Far better than Papyrus and AquaCalendar, but you have to deal with the .. bug :smileywink:

If you select a task just to get details ... BOUM !
EXEC-3

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Professor

26-Sep-200708:43 AM
dom_dom wrote:

EXEC-3

Domdom

This is because people in development don't have money for E90. If you want best, use what developers are using :smileywink: Only Nokia developers can have E90, because they get one from Nokia. That's why only sw really is good, is sw in device when you buy it :smileywink: You can't make perfect sw just using emulator and brief test after porting :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Professor

26-Sep-200702:15 PM
turo wrote:

26-Sep-200708:43 AM
dom_dom wrote:

EXEC-3

Domdom

This is because people in development don't have money for E90. If you want best, use what developers are using :smileywink: Only Nokia developers can have E90, because they get one from Nokia. That's why only sw really is good, is sw in device when you buy it :smileywink: You can't make perfect sw just using emulator and brief test after porting :smileysad:

turo,

you make me cry... but you are RIGHT !

What can we do now ???
Why does Nokia not want to help us, reply us ???
Why do we need to pay so much to get so less ?

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

When you say "Why does Nokia not reply?", have you asked?

These discussion boards may at any time be monitored by various Nokia personnel, but you cannot be sure that the right person/people will see your post. These boards form a user-user support mechanism. If you wish a direct response from Nokia on any issue, you need to address it to the HQ of Nokia in your country (not Nokia Care lines, as they are only a support tool for the use of the phones, they are not the R&D guys and they are not involved in the development of the products).

These E90 threads seem to be becoming angry again, could everybody on all sides of the E90 debate please maintain their decorum?

Thank you.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Professor

sapporobaby wrote:

True from most parts.

You can do almost all with E90, but same with any S60 with 500 euros less price. It is just the way you have to do it.

Example, you have list of 100 items. In 9500 you just press letter you want to jump in. In E90, you scroll and scroll. There is some difference in usability? Do you think?

One thing, you can't link documents and applications and bookmarks to desk. But yes, these are not really needed. I can find document fluently using office?

Why you make these arguments, because then I had to repeat myself :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Professor

Previous communicators were lacking speed, so they had to compensate through very good software. E90 is much much faster, so it seems usability came second. I think that the overall working speed is the same on E90 and 9300i. What you gain on E90 by having a fast processor is lost by the number of keys you have to press for any simple task, and so on.
Please use plain text.
Professor

28-Sep-200709:51 AM
vmoisa wrote:
Previous communicators were lacking speed, so they had to compensate through very good software. E90 is much much faster, so it seems usability came second. I think that the overall working speed is the same on E90 and 9300i. What you gain on E90 by having a fast processor is lost by the number of keys you have to press for any simple task, and so on.

I don't know previous Communicator, but indeed simplicity is something E90 does not know !

Also, trying to call someone, going into "contact" has a latency of 2 or 3 seconds, which is not fear !

Yes, it's true, I compare it with series 3xxx and 6xxx, but these, which are faster are also far less expensive !

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Professor

28-Sep-200708:51 AM
vmoisa wrote:

Yes, don't know is usability or speed easier to add.

But most simple action to reply SMS. Very very often used by any mobile users. Sometimes I need to see message I reply. If there are example couple questions in SMS. With communicator this was easy, when there were multitasking in messaging. E90 I just need to close and open messages, sometimes several times.

Other case if you write SMS and at same receive SMS. You briefly want to look received SMS before continue writing SMS (or mail or other messages). With E90, you have to actually close message editor and just then new message can be viewed. This is just veery very dum? I don't like to leave unfinished business because I want to check some other thing :smileysad:

I have repeated this. But it has been in S60 for years? Does anyone miss the fact that messages could be swapped fluently. It is simple thing. Just something you can't do way it should be (leave unfinished doc open while check other thing).

Does anyone know is this possible in WM? As this alone would get me to change device.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Clearly, with such a screen this should not be a problem to have it spliited in 2 partts :

- Original SMS : text, author, date and time
- New : text

Too esay to gues maybe !

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Professor

28-Sep-200709:50 AM
dom_dom wrote:
Clearly, with such a screen this should not be a problem to have it spliited in 2 partts :

- Original SMS : text, author, date and time
- New : text

Too esay to gues maybe !

Domdom

That would be too great to be true :smileywink: Even fluent swap between messages would do. And again that other issue, if receiving SMS while writing. Thing at least would like to check, that received SMS is not from person i'm writing. Currently with E90, I actually need to save draft, accept 'do you want to save this', scroll to inbox and again back to drafts and open draft started. Even speed is Ok, these actions needed are a bit annoying.

With 9500, you just hit messaging and all open messages + main view scrolled through. Like with calendar different views scrolld through.

But yes. There are solutions could be done. Just amazed why nothing done in S60 in 5 years. Maybe paople are just blind to S60 usability, don't know things could be better. S40 I understand, it's not planned for multitasking at all. S60 is (as there is task list, has been for years)
Please use plain text.
Professor

What about the font size ?

You dial a number, digits are big :smileyhappy:
You receive a call ... digits are very small...
Logic ? For sure it should have a logic but I was not yes able to find is !

You call a phone central where you have to press keys for options.
Everything is fine until you decide to adapt the volume !
First, you have to click on the small "C" key to delete all the choices you made.
This implies you to not hear your correspondant anymore..

Simply incredible, and prove of a very very short test period, tests done by people not using the E90 as simple mobile for calling and using SMS !

Is the E90 not a "intellignent phone", thus a phone with added functinalities ?

Domdom
Please use plain text.