Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E-mail doesn't sync automatically after instal...

Contributor
KuHablo

E-mail doesn't sync automatically after installing Belle.

I'm using an e-mail address under my personal domain in my N8. Everything worked well when using Symbian Anna but now after installing Belle - there's a problem: e-mail doesn't sync automatically.

When I set my e-mail box up will the sync work for few times just fine. But then it stops working. Manual-sync works fine and there's not a single problem. I have tried to re-set the box again and again but in the end it's always the same: syncs automatically few times but then it stops working.

Any ideas what to do?

Please use plain text.
dutchzonder

Re: E-mail doesn't sync automatically after installing Belle.

I'm having the same problems. With Anna I somtimes had to reset, but now even after a reset it's not working.
Please use plain text.
inaani

I'm having the same problem with gmail on my C6-01 after installing Belle. I've tried to change the settings between having it sync all the time and every 15th minute, but there's no difference. The e-mails arrive just after changing the settings, but after that again only manually. Very annoying.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dromoreboy

Hi, I was having the same problem that after Belle update I could not receive emails after set up.

My email is with eircom.net and phone is with Vodafone Ireland. It is working afet I tried these settings.

Set your own email address, user name and password.

Try this settings:

Incoming server: webmail.eircom.net ( use your own, this in mine with eircom.net)

access point: internet

NB: security: OFF

Port: default

APOP secure login: OFF

outgoing server: For vodafone it is mail.vodafone.ie (Ireland)

Access point: internet

Security: OFF

port:default

Hope these help....

Please use plain text.
dutchzonder

But do you have push, when you do it like this?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KuHablo

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it did not help me. Phone still sync mails when it's done manually, but auto-sync doesn't work even if I deleted my account from the phone and tried to set it up again.

Please use plain text.
Kwienyolanda

Same problem, here, Nokia C7.00, re installed Nokia Belle, removed mailboxes, still not working

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem and stumbled across a workaround.

In my case I've set up some POP3 accounts with polling (syncronisation) every 15 minutes without accepting Ovi's terms and conditions. It seems that the mail poller is incapable of opening a new connection if one is needed, but if a connection is already open then it will poll e-mail.

So once your mail is set up now you need a program which keeps a connection constantly open. If you don't use a messenger/Facebook/Twitter/WhatsApp client which does this then you can try Nokia Drop from http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-drop .

If anyone from Nokia's reading I guess that Ovi Mail works because if you do accept Ovi's terms and connections then the poller sets up a constantly open IMAP IDLE connection from the beginning. But suggesting that customers use Ovi Mail is not the correct solution, holding a connection open uses more battery than connecting once every 15 minutes, the Ovi Mail server isn't 100% reliable either, and not everyone finds handing their password over to third parties to get round a polling bug on the client acceptable.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

Just found out that you don't need a background task to hold the connection open, you can go to Settings > Connectivity > Admin. settings > Mobile data and change Mobile data connection to 'When Available'.

Just to be sure make sure that Access point on the same screen is filled in, Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Network Destinations > Default connection is also set up, and Mail > Settings > (Mailbox name) > Mailbox Settings > Incoming mail settings > Access point in use is set up as well.

Edit: It doesn't seem to reliable as the method in the previous post. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hayvan

Hi
I have basically the same problem. One gmail account used to sync calendar, three regular email accounts for which I don't use push. Auto sync works only for gmail. Workaround involving constant connection is acceptable to my eyes, as it would drain the battery.
I precise I own a N8 with official Belle.
Please Nokia provide us a real fix for this.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ninifox

Hi i can't send or recieve my emails using my email account i'm really struggling please help me.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mihgan

yeah the mail app sucks on nokia belle ...it just stops synchronising on my n8 after sometime...let it be auto or manual sync it just doesnt work......nokia need an update??!!! any help appreciated in the meanwhile......

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

I have the same Problem, I don't underestand why it will work a few times and then nothing, Please we need a fix asap, I liked Anna better to be perfectly honest.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RockoN8

I am alos a victim of symbian belle...gmail not getting synched automatically...carrying nokia N8...NOKIA..please provide a fix

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Consider yourselves lucky, mine broke on Anna and never came back until I found the trick of putting the phone constantly online.

I'm starting to think the problem is triggered by the software not liking the replies given by the mail server and getting itself into a state where it stops working properly.

Any community manager want to clarify if an e-mail fix is coming up and roughly when? I know it breaks the long and dishonourable Nokia tradition of not confirming anything but I really am beginning to regret the purchase of my supposedly flagship phone (N8) and I suppose many others are too.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

I've managed to get sync working again without a reset...

• Went into Mail.
  • Deleted all my e-mail accounts.
  • Exited the Mail application.
  • Turned off the mobile.
  • Removed SIM.
  • Turned on the mobile.
  • Went into Mail.
  • Went into settings, confirmed there was nothing there.
  • Tried to add a new account, I was only offered Exchange ActiveSync.
  • Exited the Mail application.
  • Turned off the mobile.
  • Held power button for eight seconds (mobile vibrates 3 times and turns off).
  • Put the SIM in.
  • Turned on the mobile.
  • Went into Mail.
  • Went into settings, set up one e-mail account.

As I'm not interested in Nokia Mail and I want a direct connection, I did the following to set up the account...

• Put a false address and password in because I want a direct connection to Yahoo but if I choose Yahoo then I get Nokia Mail's version.
  • Chose POP3/IMAP.
  • Rejected the terms and conditions.
  • Put the settings in manually.
  • Went back into the settings and chose a syncronisation period of 15 minutes.
  • Deleted the e-mail widget (I'm not interested in it).
  • Confirmed it was working by sending myself an e-mail from another address.

Does it work for other people?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

This is not the miracle fix you're looking for. It's not working today.

Having reset my phone and tried this, there's very little left that I can think of apart from once again asking Nokia if they could comment on if they have a real fix in the works, or if they think their customers like spending €300 on a phone only to find a major feature is broken and receive nothing but absolute silence from the company or if they're feeling generous copy-pasted instructions on how to reset the telephone which doesn't work.

So, to resume, for any prospective buyers, don't buy a Symbian^3 phone if you expect e-mail to work properly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

Hey... GREAT NEWS... Nokia Fixed the problem.. I found an update yesterday on Nokia Suite and Install it. In the description said that it was mainly for some other problem but it said "This update contains a fix for other problems". I installed and voila! Fixed.. My email is syncing normally since yesterday afternoon... Thanks Nokia!!.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KuHablo

Picadoo: please let us know if your sync still works after a couple of days, thank you.

There were one similiar (I guess it was the same which you described) update available in Nokia Suite more than a week ago. It removed my email account from my home screen so I guess it made some fixes for the email-app. But it did not fix this problem permanently: sync still works for a while and then it stops.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Which country and mobile (product code)?

I had an update a last week for Calendar Sync but it didn't do anything for e-mail.
Please use plain text.