Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E-mail doesn't sync automatically after installing...

Contributor
KuHablo

Re: E-mail doesn't sync automatically after installing Belle.

Using N8-00 (059D2S8) in Finland.

Yes the update one or two weeks ago was for the Calendar Sync but one post in Finnish N8 site (http://www.n8fin.com/paivitys-belle-puhelimille-agendaserver-v10-3-7/) says that "Also few minor known issues have been updated..." I have no idea that what these issues are but there might be some fixes in email-app because after the installation my email-account dissapperad from my N8 home screen and I needed to set up it there again. But in the end, just guessing.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

OK Guys.. BAD NEWS!!!!.

KuHablo..

After the fix, the e-mail app worked fine for 36 hours (aprox), then it stopped working again.... This is a problem.. Nokia... Please fix this..... smartphone with no automatic email sync is like french fries whitout ketsup!!!. At least let us go back to Anna in the meanwhile. Anna worked great.

Please use plain text.
sarang4949

i also have a problem like these.
my gmail account can't get sync by my nokia messaging service
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KuHablo

I got a message from Nokia that this email problem is now noticed because of this support discussion. They requested some more information and this case is now forwarded to Nokia Research and Development team. Hope they figure something out soon. I will get back to you as soon as I get some info.

Anyone (with similiar problems) reading this, please share precisely your problem with us and tell us some of your own test results too, thank you. The more information we get, the faster the issue can be solved.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

OK KuHablo:

This has been my experience:

Phone: E6-00.

I noticed that after I installed Belle, email worked a few minutes and then it just stops synquing with email provider. this is what I have tried so far with no positive results:

1. Deleting the email account and reentering again (Like 100 times).

2. Switching between "Ovi" and "Standar" delivery options (Does not do any difference).

3. Installing the update that came a few days ago, That fixed the problem temporalily, the sync worked for aproximatelly 36 hours, then it stopped again.

4. Reintalling the whole phone software (didn't worked eighter).

5. Chatted with a Customer Service guy in Nokia who told me to program the account using only the data package instead of wifi. (Didn't worked eighter). Attatching conversation with the C.S. guy.

FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!. Almost getting ready to change phone (Brand). I have always been a Nokia customer, but this is getting bad.

Please use plain text.
dutchzonder

Ok,I was able to make it work again. My problem was that I have no facebook,twitter etc or anything that opens a push connection. After installing Nokia Reader, it started to work :smileyvery-happy: But, do not use the fastest repul, but use every 15 min. Than it will come within 0-15 min. For me it's good enough and it's now working for the whole week.Nokia Reader did not work without freezing, so I uninstalled it. Even than my mail still works.:smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Your e-mail bug might have been fixed by a bug in Ovi Push Notifications... If a data connection is always held open and when you go into the connection mananger it tells you that xmppservice is using the connection then this is the case.

Can you confirm that this is happening, or is it working properly? (Working properly means the connection actually closes and is only re-opened when e-mail has to be checked/downloaded.)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

[ Edited ]

Dear Dan 555,

I'm sorry I can't underestand your questions but I'm not a programming or phone expert, I'm just a user.

All I know is that after I updated the phone to Belle, the email sync stopped working like it did perfectly with Anna.

For those who are following this discussion, after a few chats with the customer service peole in the USA, they have send me an E-mail stating that the have escalated this issue to high priority. 

Moderator's notes: removed private information. Nokia does not advise users to post private information on the discussion board. For more info please read the Guidelines here

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Basically if there's a constant mobile data connection or a constant wi-fi connection (check the icons in the notification bar) then your e-mail was 'fixed' by a bug in a process used by the Reader app.

If there's only a mobile data or wi-fi connection when the e-mail is syncronised every 15 mins (or whatever the syncronisation period is) then your e-mail's really fixed properly.

I'm going to try installing the Reader app and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that when Reader is online there's a constant connection (Ovi Notifications Service) which is used by the processes nokiaaserver and xmppservice so the e-mail in a POP3 account on a 15 minute sync cycle is downloaded properly.

When I exit Reader the e-mail stops syncing as the data connection is closed.

If e-mail carries on working when Reader is exited or uninstalled (I couldn't reproduce this) then I think it's because nokiaaserver or xmppservice are not exiting when they should and so the data connection is kept open. There are comments on Beta Labs about this if you search for the two process names.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
picadoo

Ok Dan,

Since my voyage thru Customer Service is nothing but a nightmare.... May be you can help me then, several questions (please answer like I'm an 8 yeras old kid!!).

1. How do I install this reader thing you are talking about?

2. After I install this, do I have to delete and re-setup my email account?

3. When it asks me to use eighter OVI server connection or DIRECT connection, which sould I choose?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Please use plain text.
ing_bistro

I have the simmilar problem on E52 without any update. Push mail and even time based synchronization just does not work anymore on my accounts with Nokia Messaging. Manual update works. I have already performed  a hard reset with my phone, but without success.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

1. You don't need to install Reader, you just need to install something that's always online and use it so the phone has got a constant mobile data connection. Once that program is online, Mail will be able to go online too. It appears Mail has problems going online if there's no mobile data connection already established but if one is then it works fine.

You could use a chat program like IM for Nokia, WhatsApp, Skype, or similar (all available from the store) or you could try one of two programs available from Nokia Beta Labs, which are Drop and Reader (click links). Drop allows you to install apps from your browser and Reader allows you to check RSS feeds from your phone and includes an RSS widget for the homescreen.

If you want to install something from Nokia Beta Labs, click 'Try It Now', download the .sis file and pass it to your mobile with e.g. Bluetooth then go to E:\Received files with the File Manager and run it. You might be asked to register the first time (I can't remember), but the user name and password are the same as the one for this board.

2. You could manually re-sync your e-mail. If it doesn't start working from then on you could edit the syncronisation settings to 'soonest'/'always online' (for immediate reception (if your email provider allows it) or something like 'every 15 minutes' but I don't think you'll need to delete and re-setup your e-mail.

However if you set up an account accepting Ovi server connection and now want to try a direct connection then you'll need to delete and re-set up the account. And the same if you had it configured directly before and want to try an Ovi server connection now.

3. In theory the Ovi server connection allows immediate reception which you may not be able to get with a direct connection and it's better for battery life. I'm not too sure about the practice as people report problems with the Ovi server connection and you're also giving up your e-mail password to Nokia and people have posted here that once set up it's difficult to edit or delete accounts; Nokia's servers will keep polling for email even though you delete the account from your phone. Nokia's servers also use an unencrypted connection across the Internet to poll your phone.

I'm also pretty sure gmail and Yahoo allow 'soonest'/'always online' anyway if you configure them as IMAP accounts. With Hotmail you must poll every 5/10/15 minutes under POP3 or you get a 'soonest'/'always online' connection under ActiveSync.

So in my opinion Ovi server connection is just another thing in the middle that can go wrong as well as a possible privacy problem.

Note: If you want to set up an account with a direct connection you can use one of the final two options when configuring your account (ActiveSync and Other POP3/IMAP) and fill in all the details yourself. Alternatively you can use gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo options to use the default configuration supplied by the phone and then reject the Ovi server terms and conditions.

Did that help any?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

Oops, got the links wrong.

That should be Drop and Reader.

Please use plain text.
natked

I have the same problem in my Nokia C7-00 after updating to Belle, only  in my case it's totally erratic.

I have 3 email accounts in my phone, a yahoo and two in my internet provider in Greece.

Every account is updated every 15 min.

The email I regularly use, it the "Greek" account and hereinafter I only refer to it.

Out of curiosity, I set it up in two versions: one through the nokia server settings and one as an IMAP account, by putting my provider's settings directly.

The widgets are totally erratic, I will receive a notification about new mail either on the IMAP widget or in the one through Nokia. When opening the accounts, the new mail will appear in one of them and for it to appear to the other I would have to perform manual synchronization.

In the beginning I thought it was the IMAP account that was more reliable, but today I heard a notification about a new email, only to find it was synchronized to the account that goes through nokia servers....

Nokia please do something! I see that there are messages about this issue since march, and still nothing!

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

I installed Office Apps via Nokia Suite and I'd go so far as to say that e-mail appears to be working. Office Apps is optional and it might not interest you. It didn't interest me until I found out that what Nokia don't say is that there's also an update buried in there with the self-explanatory name Pixienablers which updates your e-mail client.

Unfortunately Office Apps installs to C: (Phone Memory) and requires 50 megs free.

I really do wish Nokia would be more open about these things and just put a mandatory update in Nokia Suite and SW Update on the phone called "E-mail client update" and let people who are interested in Office Apps install Office Apps if they want. But anyway, thank you Nokia for at last fixing the problem (touch wood).

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

It's stopped working again. Back to ProfiMail. This is a joke. The N8 was launched in November 2010 and e-mail still doesn't work in July 2012, more than a year and a half later.

Does anyone in Nokia think I'm going to be remotely interested in an 808 if it's running Belle FP1 and I've got a N8 running Belle and I've got no idea if the e-mail on the 808 is usable?

Can anyone here confirm if the 808's e-mail works?

If it does, why hasn't the update been pushed out to the N8 yet?

If it doesn't, I suppose the company's really lost its way.

No, doing a hard reset again and re-installing everything so the e-mail works for a day or two then stops is not an acceptable solution.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
henryfabu

Helllo, I have a Nokia 808 and the same problem:

Email doesn't sync automaticaly, only manual.

I was talking with Nokia Care Chat, and they told me to delete the accounts, power off the phone and create accounts again, without success.

Then they told me they replied the problem with another nokia 808 without success, then  they told me they talked with Nokia Systems people who told them that "the service is in actualization and maintenance and in a short time it must be corrected....

I cant understand that a phone as Nokia 808 Pureview could be without automatic email sync... we are in 2012...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Their reply is utter nonsense as their 'service' is Nokia/Ovi Mail/Messaging and we're not talking about that. We have a problem with direct POP and IMAP connections from the phone to the server and it's a problem on the phone, something that worked in Series 60 releases 3 and 5 and doesn't work in Symbian 3.

Is there anyone at Nokia who understands this?

Please use plain text.
droid001

This worked for me.
Please use plain text.