Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E5 + gps

Counsellor
meatpoint
Accepted Solution

E5 + gps

Does an E5 have a gps or only A-gps.

in the specs on the net I can only find that navi is possible through integrated A-gps. which confuses me a little :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The E5 has an integrated gps receiver with Agps support. Agps helps the integrated gps chip to get a position fix quicker.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramjean

I have never been able to connect using GPS alone. Only after getting a Data connection and with the help of AGPS did the positioning work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
meatpoint

[ Edited ]

gps uses sateliteconnection for positioning, A-gps uses the phone-network and the data-connections gives you all the additional info.

If a phone has ONLY A-gps, then it is neccesary to have data on your phone. If you use a gps, data is not neccesary.

Our company is situated right next to the boarder of the netherlands. our provider is good, but sometimes you have roaming. in our contract roaming is disabled. so if a phone needs data to navigate it will not work when roaming.

with gps, you always get a fix

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
meatpoint

I had contact with our distributer.

Nokia calls all gps in the specs A-gps.

The E5 has a integrated GPS.

if a map is not installed and roaming is off, then the phone cannot download the map if you are abroad

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wong90

nokia e5 is a gps or Agps?if i wan use the navigation without any network conection,hw ?

meatpoint wrote:

I had contact with our distributer.

Nokia calls all gps in the specs A-gps.

The E5 has a integrated GPS.

if a map is not installed and roaming is off, then the phone cannot download the map if you are abroad

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

E5 not to hand but think that Positioning methods found by Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings > General > scroll down to Positioning > Positioning methods and only enable Integrated GPS.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hercsi7802

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I have the same problem(?) or is it normal in case of the E5?

Rgds,

Szabolcs

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alphakilla

I read this discussion and, it says its solved but, I am still not sure which gps setting I should be on...I do not have a data connection, only AT&T multimedia

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
meatpoint

if you have no data then uncheck A-gps and only check integrated GPS. that should do it.

you have to find out by trial and error if there are features you cannot use when A-gps is off

Please use plain text.
tilck1987

I have the same problem. I activatede my integrated GPS, nothing. I activated my integrated GPS ean my AGPS, nothing. I activated wifi, bingo.

I don't want to use my wifi. what do i have to do to get my GPS up? I dont get a strong signal for a satelitte. what to do?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

You should use GPRS instead, but set the connection in Ovi Maps to Offline. I made a detailed instruction here : /t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/Waiting-for-GPS-E-72/m-p/943867#M31869

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alipore

Hi there

My E5 is driving me insane as well!!!

Try this:

- Settings

- General

- Positioning (it's the 6th one down as you scroll)

- Positioning Methods

- Tick (1) Assisted GPS  (2) Integrated GPS (3) Network Based

Good luck!                                                                                                                                                 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

NOKIA E5 GPS working

its nice

but

just compare the i-phone GPS

you will get the answer what is GPS.

Example : i have 2 cell phones i am getting GPS signal everywhere on my i-phone its inside rooom , building or any where

but

in E5

compulsary open space is needed

what the meaning of this kind GPS

--

Patel Brotheres

The Business Builder

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds like you probably have AGPS disabled on your E5.

With the E5 you have the option using the integrated gps chip of both the integrated chip and network support by enabling AGPS and network based navigation. Enabling AGPS requires data connection but it means the phone will get a position fix quicker and also within some buildings. However, the E5 gives you the option to use just the integrated GPS when you do not want to incur data charges, such as when you are roaming. The integrated gps chip needs to see the satellites in the sky hence the name Sat Nav ( Satellite Navigation).

As far as I know, you can't really use GPS on the iPhone without a data connection. 

Please use plain text.
ssn2411

Dear Friends

I Have Nokia E5. I can't Open Youtube Videos (if Open it.s Not conneted) , How I can Open It?

And I can't Open chat widow. Its ask Window popup, How can Use popup window FOr Chat?

Kindly help Mw Pls

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Pfrancoise

[ Edited ]

Hi ssn2411,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is your phone up to date? To check your current version, I would invite you to type *#0000# on your keypad.  If your phone needs to be updated, I would suggest you to download Nokia suite.

Could you tell us more about the "chat window".  Is your internet connection working fine?

Pfrancoise.

If this post has helped you to solve this issue, please press the "accept as solution" icon. Kudos would always be appreciated.
Please use plain text.