Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6 Key Lock Strange Behavior

krabbypatties

E6 Key Lock Strange Behavior

My E6-00 is running Belle.  The key lock switch displays very strange behavior.  When I slide it to lock the phone, there will be two or three vibrations and the phone will momentarily lock and then unlock again.  I have to slide it three or four times to actually get it to lock and stay locked.  Behavior when unlocking is identical - sliding the switch will make the phone vibrate two or three times, and the phone will unlock for a split second before re-locking itself.  I have to slide the switch three or four times to actually unlock it.

The flashlight works fine.  It seems like the switch engages once when it is pushed, and then somehow engages again at the top of its movement.

This is incredibly annoying.  Is it a known problem?  A software defect?  Hardware?  Or something else?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
atlochowski

I have exactly the same problem as you.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

I also have problems with locking/unlocking my E6 with slide lock. The only difference is that it doesn't vibrate, probably because I have vibrating alerts switched off.

Please use plain text.
MD_slo

I have the same problem also...:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
BartSchroder

I have exactly the same problem. The E6 had Anna loaded initially, and there was no problem. After I loaded Belle, this problem appeared, and has remained.

The slide switch / key lock is not reliable, and causes a problem. It takes several attempts to unlock or lock the phone.

In addition, if the display is off, and an SMS is received, the display does not turn on. As the slide switch does not work properly it is hard to immediately see the SMS.

There is obviously a problem with Nokia Belle. Others have posted of the same problem. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0C7MkoAPc)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pohlipit

Same problem here. But for me it also happened already on Anna. I hope it's a firmware issue and not a hardware issue so that it can be fixed in the next update.

My Nokia history:
2110 => 6110 => 8110 => 6310 => 2300 => 2600 => 6070 => E71 => N97 Mini => E72 => C7 => E7 => E6 => 700
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

I dont have that problem.

Have you tried to do a soft reset?

meny-settings-phone-phone management-fabric settings-restore

Otherwise a hard reset (wipe the c and d comparment and sdhc card, After that, a reinstallment of Belle through Nokia Suite.

Dont reinstall backups of apps and a lots of old material...only contacts and the most important I think could be the solution. This goes for many people who having problem after Belle update. I call it spring cleaning.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

My experience: 1x soft reset + 2x hard reset + 2x reinstall(restored contacts&messages only) = NO HELP

Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Same here aswell..and I don't think it is a software issue, sounds like falty hardware..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

Mine slide lock never failed before the upgrade to Belle.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nokiyes

Hi,

I have a similar problem, locking does not seem to be the problem unlocking does. I have to apply the unlock key several times, because of delay I often lock the phone while it just unlocked it, to repeat the process again...

Grtz

Please use plain text.
bambam328

+1, I have similar problem with my E6-Belle. Have not tried the hard reset since the users here says that it does not help.
Please use plain text.
bambam328

Have tried hard reset, re-install of firmware and the problem still exsist.

Another issue is that when I remove the battery for a short while (30 sec), I need to re enter the date and time. This does not happens to my other phones, includings my older Nokia. Is this common for E6?
Please use plain text.
Sage

I can tell that I have the same problem on an E7, and it happened after upgrading to E7.

I'm willing to bet money that this is not a hardware problem. It's an age-old problem called key debouncing. I'm just shocked that Nokia now seems to have forgotten about it.

Basically, any switch will "bounce" when you press it. So you always implement in software (or possibly hardware) a key debounce function so that mutiple key presses withing a very short time are ignored. It's easy, and well known. Normally you do it in software, although I'm sure someone could implement a hardware solution as well.

Anyway, this is a dead simple fix to do on the phone, if you just have the sources. Unfortunately, Nokia/Accenture don't seem to interested in getting bug reports, or actually fix bugs...

Please use plain text.
Sage

Same here. It's (as you say) a lack of proper debouncing code in the firmware. Nokia, please count this as a bug and see what you can do.

I've almost had to stop using the side key, it's so unreliable. I unlock using the d-pad and screen and then let the device lock itself on the timer 8-(
Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
balager

This is actually preventing me from using the phone and I hvae taken my E72 into use again.

I could not answer any call because the key lock did not respond ---- it is close to a scandal ----is there any official Nokia reply to this ??

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Grodelj

Couldn't you unlock the phone with pressing any key and "unlock button" on screen? Why don't you give the phone to nokia care for repair?

Please use plain text.
Sayuuk

I was instructed by Nokia Care to send mine in as they maintain it is a hardware problem.

I know that it only started with Belle, but obviously only a few of us are effected which seems to support this.

Cheers

Stefan

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wizard777

I have the same problem! I can't figure out how to fix it! :smileysad: :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sayuuk

You might just have to send it in for repairs...
Please use plain text.