Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E6 - Standby Battery life - Dangerously low???!!!

Sage
archie_

Re: Nokia E6 claimed battery life is a Hoax!

Which apps do you guys have installed on your mobiles?
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MihneaDB

Re: E6 - Standby Battery life - Dangerously low???!!!

cleukers wrote:
My battery is usually almost full after a 14hr day, including email, sms and internet browsing. I seem to have six out of the seven battery bars remaining in the evening.
(my new Android phone was down to 40%-50% after most similar days)

Its probably a program/app/widget or sync setting which drains your battery..

How is your e-mail set up? Mail for exchange? Is it set to always on?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
aimsbond

I use Lotus mail and put it on 30 minutes synchronization from 10 AM to 8 PM. Before E6 I was using E72 with all time synchronization (10 to 8) despite that 72 used to last at least 48 hours even more at the weekends as synchronization were set to manual at off-peak. E72's claimed standby is 480 hours whereas E6's claimed is 681 hours so you can guess the big disappointment. No matter how you use it 72 wouldn't give away a single bar on the battery at the first day. In case of E6 by the end of the day half of the battery is gone. Its vexing. Please don't buy E6. Nokia has become a second rate manufacturer and putting false add to attract customers. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Do any of you use Whatsapp?
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Sage

What Nokia aren't telling us is that they had the E6 connected up to a truck battery to get those claimed talk and standby times :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

gnirkatto wrote:

myn1126 wrote:

Hi all,

For assistance about any unresolved concerns or complaints about Nokia E6 battery, we highly recommend that you directly send or voice out your feedback directly to Nokia by contacting local Nokia Careline via phone or email by clicking on the "Contact Us" link at your local Nokia website.

Kind Regards

Thank you for the advice. I sent them 3 requests:

1. dissatisfying battery life

2. notification light invisible

3. no notification light for emails

all including  the request to outline if, when and how these problems will be resolved. I'm looking forward to their replies, will update the community accordingly.

As promised, here my update on the response from Nokia Care:

-not a single concrete answer was given on whether or when any of the reported flaws will be fixed.

-he said that they had'nt yet received a single complaint about the E6 over the flaws that I reported. I recommended to read their own support forums. He said he will.

-the guy didn't know the E6 and looked for the checkboxes for notification light on an X7 (the X7 doesn't have notification lights). After I clarified, he promised to escalate this SW omission.

-he explained to me in length that the E6 DOES HAVE notification light, and therefore my complaint was not justified. After the speech was finished, I clarified the issue. He recommended to contact a Nokia service point to get the D-pad replaced by a more see-through material. When I asked if such a replacement exists already, he didn't know.

-on weak battery: he recommended to charge 24 hours. When I said that I already   charged it  more then 20 times up to 100%, he replied that Nokia for sure will fix this with further SW updates, and that e.g. the N97 also had lots of flaws in the beginning but does now run quite well.

-he declared the one month advertised by Nokia as "marketing" and said they referred to standby mode and no active connections only [sarcasm: if I turn it off, the battery will probably last a year...]

-in general, he asked for patience, as the E6 "...is basically a beta version at this stage and a SW update is planned to be released anyway, in about 3 months....".

This is what  you get when contacting Nokia Care. No further comment.

On the positive side: the guy was nice and friendly, and tried to help, but could'nt.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Quoted battery life cycles foe all mobile devices are based in the following:

• Talk time - the maximum time a telephone call has been maintained in laboratory conditions, usually measured on both GSM and 3G networks.
  • Sttandby time - the maximum time, in laboratory conditions, that the device has been switched on with no device features in use.

Numerous internal and external factors can affect power consumption in daily use, including:

• Frequent network switching due to poor signal in certain areas (you can test if this is the case by locking the network mode to GSM ur UMTS)
  • Use of other radio types (Bluetooth, WLAN etc:smileyhappy:
  • Apps and widgets making frequent internet connections, plus apps running in the background.

If you consider that, even with all additional factors taken into considerationm your battery life is still too short, check first if a software update is available. If updating the device does not solve the problem, you may wish to have the device inspectedby a Nokia Care point.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

michaels wrote:

Quoted battery life cycles foe all mobile devices are based in the following:

• Talk time - the maximum time a telephone call has been maintained in laboratory conditions, usually measured on both GSM and 3G networks.
  • Sttandby time - the maximum time, in laboratory conditions, that the device has been switched on with no device features in use.

Numerous internal and external factors can affect power consumption in daily use, including:

• Frequent network switching due to poor signal in certain areas (you can test if this is the case by locking the network mode to GSM ur UMTS)
  • Use of other radio types (Bluetooth, WLAN etc:smileyhappy:
  • Apps and widgets making frequent internet connections, plus apps running in the background.

If you consider that, even with all additional factors taken into considerationm your battery life is still too short, check first if a software update is available. If updating the device does not solve the problem, you may wish to have the device inspectedby a Nokia Care point.

Thank you fro reading & responding.

I think that a lot of people understand what impacts battery lifetime. I belive to be one of those.

The issue is, that when Nokia advertises for a new phone with a month (!) battery lifetime (when not used !?), I (and maybe some others too) would expect the battery to last some 4 or 5 days at average use.

This is not the case. The E6's battery doesn't last longer than the E72's, under the same conditions, which is 1 or 2 days max. I had 2 E72's before the E6. And I don't think I need phone inspection - as so many other E6 users (including a friend of mine who bought it the same day as me) report to be dissatisfied for the same reason. It is what it is.

This is why I (and maybe some others) feel mislead by Nokia's marketing.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

@michaels

Thanks for replying and at least acknowleging this issue.

However despite what you say, the fact is (and this is attested by several people in this forum) that Nokia's claimed battery life of the E6 is better than the E52 - but in reality the E6 lasts (in my rough estimation) 40% of what the E52 does (like for like use)

Thus, unless there is a marked difference between the methods used for measuring battery life on the E6 as compared with the E52, then something is very badly wrong here.

The problem with going to Nokia Care is that it is very hard to demonstrate such an issue to a service technician, and their standard response is likely to be similar to yours.

Whereas I know for a fact that the battery life on MY E6 (maybe not everyone else's) is way below what is claimed - because I have tested the E6 with my old E52 battery AND I have bought a new BP-4L and tested the device with that.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
matija0zg

e6 is piece of **bleep**

today i charge it from 11pm to 7am..

didnt touch it untill 7:30am. then i do some web browsing without 3g untill 7:45

no mail is turned on.. i erase all maill acount. switch off f-secure, switch off social networks, swich all off. display setting on 2.

have a 15 min call.. and at 10:15am. battery is 80%

I hate this phone so much.. nokia must return money for this stupid phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
agprabhakar

@ Michels from Nokia,

Pls remember that all most of us complaining here are early adopters and someone who are knowledgable technically.

Pls don't give some vague reply, which is of no use. There is some serious issue with the battery life of E6, and you better acknowlege it first and then solve it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

I have to correct one of my statements from above: the E6 battery does NOT EVEN last more than one working day.

I had to turn on "always on" yesterday for email checking ('scuse me for being so demanding on a professional business phone). Was on the phone for about 1 hour to make calls, spent ~15 minutes surfing the web. Was sitting next to a WLAN router almost all day long, and always had 100% GSM reception quality.

After 9 hours, the battery was at 20%.

After ~10 hours, it was at 10%.

One hour later, the phone switched itself off.

This is a pathetic performance for a claimed "business phone".

NOKIA: even without you having advertised for a month battery lifetime, this would be highly dissatisfying . The E72 was better: same settings/usage, 2 days lifetime!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

TOO DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS PHONE...
I HARDLY WAITED FOR IT TO COME ON THE MARKET AND NOW HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS.
I'LL TAKE THE ISSUE TO THE COURT IN STRASBOURG!
WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited. Inappropriate use of words are not allowed in this forum. If you want to provide any feedback directly to Nokia, we suggest that you use the 'Contact us' link at the top of the page or contact your local Nokia Care line.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
50percent

I posted the following in another Forum.

I understand your frustration with the Nokia Care Team - they are awful at responding to anything and the knowledge of their customer care team is shockingly bad.

Try this to improve the battery. I get about 3 days out of my Nokia E6:

Easiest fix to improve battery lift is change the Network to GSM from the Dual setting. Unless you really need data because your streaming a radio, video, music service  the lowest data setting is sufficient for email and even using services such as FourSquare and Wap Pages. You will see instant improvement.

Turn off any Live WallPaper - You can put a Shortcut to the Social App on your homepage and go straight into Facebook or Twitter for quick look at what's going on. Live Wallpaper updates hammer data and battery with constant updates. Also, delete any home screens that you don't need to use. I was happy enough with 2 and didn't need the default 4.

Consider the time-out of your screen. If you've extended it then you likely leaving the screen on longer than you need to.

Turn off the vibrate response on your screen - if you have the capacative response that the phone gives a slight vibrate when your touching the screen that will eat battery.

Wifi - also another battery killer. The E6 has a bug that means even if Wifi Scanning is switched off it will still connect to a Wifi that it knows. So in the home if you've connected it once to Wifi, everytime you go online or the phone gets an email it defaults to Wifi. The only way I found to get round this was to disconnect from the Wifi, quickly go into the connection settings and remove the Wifi from the connections.

Switch off the Bluetooth if you don't need to use it. You can easily put a Bluetooth shortcut on your Homepage to quickly access the Bluetooth menu to enable/disable.

The first few days I had the phone and was using it alot for HD Video record & playback, the Photo / Video Edit tool, setting everything up, playing with the Apps, doing things on Wifi - Yes I got just over a day charge out of it.  But after the excitement of a new handset and I settled down to normal usage and did the things I've said above, still using it for emails, texts, calls, few photo's, FourSquare checkins etc - I'm able to get 3 days charge out of the handset.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

@50percent:

thank you for your tips.

I'm a bit ambivalent about all of that. It basically means that step by step I'm stopping to use the features that the phone offers.

Like I said in a previous post: my E72 lasted about 2 to 3 times longer than the E6, same usage profile, including 3G on.

Yes the E6 offers more up to date features like touchscreen etc., and they cost battery power, but what is the point of buying a new phone, if its features have to be reduced down to its predecessor's abilities?

And, there is still the expectation of the market that a phone that is 2 years younger should offer the same or better performance than its predecessor. And, of course, Nokia`s dreadful 1 month battery lifetime claim.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
50percent

gnirkatto wrote:

@50percent:

thank you for your tips.

I'm a bit ambivalent about all of that. It basically means that step by step I'm stopping to use the features that the phone offers.

Like I said in a previous post: my E72 lasted about 2 to 3 times longer than the E6, same usage profile, including 3G on.

Yes the E6 offers more up to date features like touchscreen etc., and they cost battery power, but what is the point of buying a new phone, if its features have to be reduced down to its predecessor's abilities?

And, there is still the expectation of the market that a phone that is 2 years younger should offer the same or better performance than its predecessor. And, of course, Nokia`s dreadful 1 month battery lifetime claim.

Personally, I don't find the changes I've made any hardship or massive effect on my user experience. And any settings I've adjusted I can drop shortcuts into the Home screen to easily adjust them.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

50percent wrote:

gnirkatto wrote:

@50percent:

thank you for your tips.

Personally, I don't find the changes I've made any hardship or massive effect on my user experience. And any settings I've adjusted I can drop shortcuts into the Home screen to easily adjust them.

Everything depends on personal preferences, but for me most of it does have negative effect on user experience:

- 3G: I also had it always on on my E72 and it didn't drain the battery that quickly. By the way I turned 3G off this morning after receiving your tips and it didn't help a lot, my E6 is already back charging...after not even an entire working day.

- Live wall papers (I guess you mean widgets): one of the big hits on a state of the rt phone, so why should one not want to use one or two (by the way I never have any turned on permanently and still the battery dies quickly).

- timeout: 50 seconds on mine, like on my old E72. Nothing unusual, I believe.

- vibrate response: for me this IS a big deal on a touchscreen, an essential feature, to reaffirm something got pressed. Can't turn off.

- Wifi: as you mentioned, its not easy/impossible to completely disable. I wouldn't even want to, as I'm moving in and out of various Wifi-Hotspots during the day which helps me to keep expensive data transfers low.

- bluetooth: I'm connecting/disconnecting ~10 times to/from a BT headset each day, and also several times to/from my car's BTservices. Having to turn the phone's BT on/off all the time in advance would mean a significant loss of comfort

And, I can't say it often enough, the old E72, with Wifi, BT, 3G always on, of course without widgets and screen vibrate response, lasted 2 to 3 times longer. Why am I getting punished by Nokia, for having bought a newer phone? A new phone should at least match the performance of its predecessor, or else the whole technological progress made in the last 2 years wouldn't be good for anything. Why didn't they put in a stronger battery in their top of line business phone? Technology is there.

P.S. sorry for continuing to elaborate...but reading comments and reviews of the X7, I'm getting the impression that its battery lasts longer than the E6's, despite much larger screen, and lower battery capacity........!?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
aimsbond

Nokia should apologies to all the E6 users and should recall the phone back. Its already the worst E series phone ever. In future it would be difficult to trust Nokia's claim. They have ruined E-series image with this phone. The product is faulty and the worse phone I have ever used. Everyday I use this phone and I hate Nokia more. I even asked Nokia to replace this phone which I bought 10 days back with E72 and they have refused. They simply ensured that I would never buy a Nokia and will actively discourage people to buy Nokia phones.  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cleukers

I have two email boxes setup on the email, each checks every 4 hours, but downloads headers only (email only on opening). I do not use any RSS or News widgets etc.

I like the e6's frugal battery use - I used to use an Android phone (Motorola Defy, with an extra capacity battery) and found that used far more battery, as there was no way to stop it syncing itself over the air every few hours. Hence the Defy would go down to 40% battery after a day, with the same usage I currently give the e6; the e6 holds up splendidly. If the e6 battery is draining within a day, its either a hardware issue, or the phone is simply moving too much data about for some reason - perhaps automatically downloading v large emails etc.

I noticed that for email downloads you can select Header Only, or Full email.

Is there a way to restrict email downloads to the first paragraph, like for Blackberry's, or is it all or nothing?

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

cleukers wrote:

I have two email boxes setup on the email, each checks every 4 hours, but downloads headers only (email only on opening). I do not use any RSS or News widgets etc.

I like the e6's frugal battery use - I used to use an Android phone (Motorola Defy, with an extra capacity battery) and found that used far more battery, as there was no way to stop it syncing itself over the air every few hours. Hence the Defy would go down to 40% battery after a day, with the same usage I currently give the e6; the e6 holds up splendidly. If the e6 battery is draining within a day, its either a hardware issue, or the phone is simply moving too much data about for some reason - perhaps automatically downloading v large emails etc.

I noticed that for email downloads you can select Header Only, or Full email.

Is there a way to restrict email downloads to the first paragraph, like for Blackberry's, or is it all or nothing?

The full email content will only be downloaded once you open it.

Good for you that you found a setup that is sufficient for you and doesn't drain the battery quickly.

However, email checking once in 4 hours is by far not sufficient for any business use. And this is what the E6 was positioned for by Nokia.

Please use plain text.