Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6 hardware update

Advisor
arpakon

E6 hardware update

[ Edited ]

Hi

Is there any chance for an hardware update of the E6, as that of the C5 ?

I really think theres a lot of room for 1GHz-512 MB RAM version, and why not with a slightly bigger screen. Which could be done e.g at the expend of the empty room below the QWERTY keyboard, or by making the phone wider (thus allowing a more comfortable keyboard).

As reported in most reviews the current 680MHz-256 MB RAM definitely makes the user experience laggy, at least for a somewhat intensive use (browsing while listening to music or so).

Such an updated version could really be a great challenger for phones like the BB Bold 9900, whose success prooves that there are still lots of phone users (like me) not quite ready to give up the comfort of and ergonomy of physical keys.

P.S. Oh and why not changing the fixed focus camera for an autofocus one ? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
arpakon

One more precision: I think that the D-pad should be kept in (contrarily to models like the motorola Pro). The physical key conveniance is as much (if not more) important for navigation as for typing.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

I'd agree with both the above, but when you say D-pad do you means the Opti-function of it? Physical keys are superior to touch for a lot of functions on the E6.

I still use my now ageing E61i with a 2.8" screen (like the Blackberry contender) - just think of 2.8" with 640x480 resolution - and because if the space this makes its keyboard is easy to use. That, combined with a keyboard with the tactile response of the E72 (better than the E6 IMHO (I still use both) keyboard would make the perfect phone!

I've handled the Blackberry since I bought my E6 and I honestly can't see what's wrong with a slightly wider phone.

I'd actually prefer the Full Focus for general use but it would b great to have autofocus for close-ups, which were great on the E72.

Perhaps the next E6-like phone will automatically get a faster processor because all the Symbian phones will ... ?

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Sage
hooker1uk

The e6 on belle runs well. Symbian devices don't need 1ghz but benefit from dedicated graphics gpu's which when set up well work perfect. The touchscreen is small. But higher res than some blackberries. And similar dpi to retina display on the iphone. This(belle in it's current state) is what symbian 5th should have been originally. Would have made a killing for nokia
Anna/Belle handsets : E6-00
s60 handsets : E71 grey steel, 6700slide Purple
s40 Handsets : Nokia C3-01, 6086, N6300.
JesusPad2 16gb, booklet3g (32gb ssd upgrade) eeepc701SD (64gb ssd) bauer mini laptop (32gb ssd)

Kudos is Nice - please. Pass it on, you'll make a geek happy
@hooker1uk (as a blogger my words do not represent the brands i work with unless stated otherwise.)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
arpakon

@hughm_nyksj_dk :

No I was precisely talking about keeping the D-Pad and not replacing it with an optical trackpad. I think the latter is much less ergonomic in terms of navigating through menus, text lines, long texts, web pages, etc. On one hand u can just press the desired direction as many times as needed, or keep it pressed if u want to scroll. On the other hand, u have to make an undetermined number of swipe gestures, and maybe keep doing it quite long if ur on a big text or page.

@hooker1uk:

There were many users posting on this forum who didnt seem to think that the E6 was running well on Belle.  I must confess that I did not test it but from what I read (posts and reviews), there is clearly some lag when doing some multitasking with the phone.

So maybe a better GPU could handle it. If some people from Nokia could shed some light on the matter.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
arpakon

anybody ?

Please use plain text.