Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: E6 will not update to Belle

deedub777
Accepted Solution

E6 will not update to Belle

I have installed Nokia Suite 3.3.89 and checked for software updates.  I have Symbian Anna 025.007 installed and it says there are no updates available.  Well I know there are as Belle is available.  Any ideas folks?

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

[ Edited ]

Hi deedub777,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

It may be that Nokia Belle update has not yet been approved by your operator. You can check Nokia Belle availability in your region by following the link below:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability

To see your device product code, just dial *#0000#.

Let us know if this helps,

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

deedub777:

A bit of unsolicited advice: Please search for E6 and Belle on this forum. There are some E6-00 users who regret updating to Belle for various reasons; see what their concerns are and decide for yourself whether you might be negatively impacted by the changes Belle brings to your particular phone model.

Professor

[ Edited ]

I agree with that.

I've chosen not to update my E6 to Belle which is ironic considering the fuss I previously made about updates not being available for E6 with the same product code as mine.

I know what I like and having read the substantial number of criticisms of Belle on the E6 and how particularly badly suited the Belle interface is for the small screen and hardware qwerty and d-pad operated E6, I decided to hold my fire and see if the issues are fixed in the next update.

Your not being able to update could be a blessing in disguise.

Counsellor
Jostian007

[ Edited ]

Don't upgrade, seriously, Belle for the E6 resembles a hatchet job from N8, screen formatting is poor (Nokia acct sign-in button is half cut off, just one example), one gets tips related to the dedicated camera button which the E6 doesn't even have, Social app does not work for some product codes (I'm in South Africa and social 1.3.250 is not working, Nokia support say its incompatible with Belle), how Nokia can release an OS where its own integrated apps don't even work is just ridicuous! When writing a new sms when one starts typing the letetrs of the person's name in the 'To' section, sometimes the letters show and other times the cursor just flashes and one has to tap on the To button to go to contacts and select from there, which is a pain, I just want to type the persons name immediately, but it only works about 30% of the time.

Battery life has decreased by about 40% (compared to Anna with same settings), connection issues, app store crashes. Belle on the E6 is a massive disappointment, just read the masses of threads on this forum. The E6 is supposed to be a premium BUSINESS PHONE but with Belle (currently, don't know if Nokia will ever release any updates) its just a well built frustration... If I could go back to Anna I'd do it in a heartbeat

Counsellor
Jostian007

[ Edited ]

@twozero3: VERY good decision, wish I followed your advice... I enjoyed my E6 immensely with Anna but its just one frustration after the next now with Belle.

Professor

[ Edited ]

It's only by chance that there was a delay in releasing Belle for E6 with my product code that allowed me the time to see the response of others and decide not to update as a result of that.

If Belle had been available on the first release date for my E6 I probably would have updated, almost certainly to my regret.

That brings us onto another issue discussed in a number of other threads on this forum. Belle, regardless of it's functional failings, is a substantial and radical change from Anna that came before it but despite that there is no "try before you buy" or evaluation option with the upgrade procedure. You have to take a leap into the dark and see what happens and someone has to do it or how else does everyone else find out what the new upgrade is like. Once you have taken that leap, there is no going back. I don't believe like some have suggested that we should rely on YouTube videos of leaked pre-release beta versions.

That's where better communication and information from Nokia would have helped. It's now no good Nokia saying this (Belle or whatever) is an upgrade, just install it because we say it's better because it's now clear that isn't necesarily always the case. Maybe Nokia could have posted some detailed interactive walk throughs and product tours on the same day or even before it released Belle

Along the same lines, the upgrade to Maps 3.08 removed some useful functionality that was present in 3.06, there was no clear notification from Nokia about that. Most of us naturally assume that an upgrade will bring genuine improvements to what we already have, not take away from it. Nokia typically doesn't release change logs. It really should reconsider that policy.

Counsellor
Jostian007

I just hope Nokia have plans to release an update to Belle (specifically for the E6) for E6! but I hear nothing... amazing that they update the PC Suite every other day but for the phones (especially the one's that need fixes like the E6) updates are scarce or don't come... Nokia needs to get its attitude right!
Counsellor
Jostian007

I assume that Nokia's continued silence on an update for the E6 is a sign that it may not be coming and that we'll be stuck with E6's that are half the business phone it was with Anna....so many little bugs and glitches its no longer a smartphone thats for sure!
deedub777

Thanks for all the advice folks.  Looks like staying with Anna is the way to go.  I have been happy with the hardware of the E6 (biased opinion!) but the software has always fallen short - even Anna for the E6 was a half-cocked attempt.  Moving to WP was the best decision for Nokia (even if it did cause my time with Nokia to end!).

deedub777

@Jostian - Nokia have contracted out all Symbian work to Accenture so they have washed their hands of it - it now falls to them to how long support continues.

Counsellor
Jostian007

so sad that Nokia willfully keeps us 'supporters' in the dark as to the future of the system and any updates (yes or no), methinx they will fade the OS into demise without saying anything to avoid people dumping the brand... My faith in Nokia is at an all time low, no updates (they don't care at all for the E6 that's for sure, with all its Belle bugs etc, and they don't seem bothered a bit), no news on what will happen with the OS, definitely not the Nokia of old, they don't give a damn, and to hear via the forum that the support is now with Accenture is just another nail in a very closed coffin...
Counsellor
Vitoro

deedub777 wrote:

@Jostian - Nokia have contracted out all Symbian work to Accenture so they have washed their hands of it - it now falls to them to how long support continues.

Well, it actually depends on how long and how much Nokia will pay Accenture for their service.

Personally I do not wish nor expect any further upgrades for my phone's OS, I just want Belle to be fixed and that's all. It's now soon 3 months since Belle rollout, but there was just a single fix issued for message character counting, that's all.

I'm not even angry anymore, but just tired, so I'm actively discouraging my friends and relatives from buying any Nokia products(even Windows phones).

Nothing personal, Nokia, just business. And you have failed in your business.

Counsellor
Jostian007

[ Edited ]

yip I hear you (I've been telling people as well that Nokai sux as a company, they dont care about their supporters), I'm very disappointed in Nokia too regarding the E6, its a mess with Belle, I think they just did a hatchet job on the N8's Belle version for the E6, (so many people with the same issues and like you said its been 3 months already, and Nokia are SILENT on any updates/fixes, which is a bad sign), Nokia don't seem to care about older devices and the problems they have, but its fine, they don't care about their smart phone and support for it so I will (after 7 years of supporting Nokia) just move to another brand, there's enough to choose from. Pity though.

Counsellor
Jostian007

yip I would be happy to if Belle just worked properly!! I don't care about Cindy etc... I care about the OS I'm using which is Belle it just sux at present though...
Registered Member
Bearded_Dragon

I have to admit that I am highly annoyed.  I have downloaded Belle twice (as I purchased a new Dell) and have the latest, and BOTH times I tried downloading the software - it carried on in the background (and I do not believe that an error as I am only working on MS Office) only for me to find 2nd time round that Nokia Services is not available for the what seems as final download.

Highly Annoyed.