Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

E63 - Unable to open programs from Memory Card

Contributor

E63 - Unable to open programs from Memory Card

I have a Nokia E63. I'm unable to open the preinstalled programs on my Memory Card. I just got this unit 2 days ago. I can see the icons but I cannot open them. I believe the problem happened after the Device Lock/Remote Lock. When I enabled that, it says Memory Card is corrupted. So I disabled it and manage to access the Memory Card. I managed to transfer the pictures from the card to the phone memory. But the programs wouldn't open. Is there a way to recover these programs. Backups?
Advisor

Re: E63 - Unable to open programs from Memory Card

I too see this problem. Solution is to remove the memory (memory card -> remove memory card) and then reinsert it.You have to do that once inevery two days to solve this problem, until you get a new phone :-)

This is not related to device lock/remote lock, as I don't use that. 

Advisor

Forgot to mention this, there is a workaround. Never install applications in memory card. I think it is not designed for that.
Advisor
doremifasol

i agree with gopir. it doesnt have anything to do with device lock nor remote lock.

although i have disabled those two functions, i still encountered the problem.

as for the work around not to install any application in memory card, too bad for me, i got my e63 with some applications preinstalled in the memory card.

:-(

Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Just don't install programs or applications on the memorycard. Insert the card IN the phone and NOT on a PC or Mac to format. Remove the card by pressing the red button and choose remove card from the dialog option. If you insert the card later you should hear a short bleep.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Advisor
doremifasol

@hadimasa: okay, now supposed I remove (uninstall) all applications preinstalled on my memory card, I won't get this kind of problem anymore?

I won't get the 'memory corrupted' any longer even though i re-enable the device lock and remote lock functionality?

Counsellor
gdavidf

NOT true...

Symbian was designed to allow applications to reside AND run on removable/additional memory (cards). There are some issues (here for example) with the .sis files (Symbian Installers) which are there so apps can be removed later.  

Don't be afraid to let win7 check and fix a corrupted memory card also, it will see the correct format of the card unless it's badly damaged.

MAKE SURE you remove the card by:

• going through the menu
    • Menu - Tools - Memory - (select) Options - Remove Memory card
    • Remove card

When the handset gets a bit flaky or slow, switch it off then back on again... Most of the time that should fix things like this...

Also, make sure programs are launched from the menu/shortcut rather than the file explorer....

Former Psion 3a-5-5mx & Psion netbook (Symbian) user who had an E63, E71
Now an E7 casualty remembering the 8 replacement Nokia Orange (or was that Lemon?) 2140's I had in 1996...
Advisor
doremifasol

just a little update:

i need to put the phone / data protection into place, in case i lost my phone. so i decided to re-enable the device lock option and see if i get the 'memory corrupted' again.

here's what i did:

1.  changed the default lock code of 12345 to my own code. i played with my phone for one day and everything's okay.

2. the following day, uninstall all applications preinstalled on my memory card.everything's fine.

3. re-enable the device lock.

it's been a couple of hours now, and everything seems fine. i tried turning my phone off and back on, and the memory still doing fine.

let me wait til tomorrow. if everything's okay, then i will reenable the remote lock option, and see the result.

i will give an update here asap.

Advisor
doremifasol

an update:

a day had passed with no problem whatsoever.

then i enabled the remote lock option.

checked the phone, everything's normal.

sent sms to E63 from another phone to remote lock the E63. E63 locked.

unlocked E63 by typing the device lock code.

checked the phone, everything's normal.

turned E63 off.

turned it on again... hey, it didnt ask me to type in the device lock code! normally, it will ask me the lock code everytime it is turned on.

checked the memory using file manager... voila! memory corrupted!

removed the memory card, restored it... and the memory back to normal (can be read).

turned it off again and then turned it on. and the memory corrupt again.

conclusion for my E63:

the problem doesnt have anything to do with installing applications on memory card.

it's gotta be the device lock and/or remote lock function.

nokia should do something about it.

Advisor
doremifasol

hi, guys!

you might want to know this:

finally i can get rid of the 'memory corrupt' error that get displayed everytime i reboot my phone. and yes, i still have the device security (device lock and remote lock) enabled, and protected with my own password instead of the default.

here's what i did:

(note: this steps were taken after i enabled the device lock and remote lock)

1. backup (copy) the content of memory card to computer. i used the 'mass storage' mode for this purpose

2. disconnect the phone from computer

3. format the memory card using phone menu

4. restore the content of memory card from computer.

i tested my phone by restarting it (turn off, then turn on).

no "memory corrupted" error anymore.

so it seems the 'memory corrupted' condition occured because there's a conflict between default password and new password.

the memory card already contain data which is encrypted by the default password.

when we change the default password to our own password, the old data in the memory card still encrypted by the default password, but new data (new files) is encrypted using the new password.

by formatting the memory, we have a fresh memory, and all data stored in this memory is encrypted using the new password. no conflict.

well, that's only my guess.

:-D

Registered Member

hi guys,

I got a huge problem with my E63, the device get hanged several times in a day, especially when try to open any application. also i am unable to remove aplications from my phone. even the applications doesn't open in my phone, when ever i try to open an application nothing happens. I have tried several options but no use. also the device get hang whenever i try to access any https connection. so that even i can't access my email inbox(i m using ssl for mailbox). anyone please help me.......

Registered Member

E63 - MY MEMORY CARD HAS BEEN ENCRYPTED

ive encrypted the mc on my phone and then decrypted it afterwards and yet i cannot access ANY info on my card, I can see that its being used where memorys concerned but all files, images and music have just dispappeared! where are they???

theres a lot of sentimental vids and pics on my card which i would hate to lose!!!

PLEASE HELP...

Advisor
doremifasol

Re: E63 - MY MEMORY CARD HAS BEEN ENCRYPTED

do you get the 'memory corrupted' error message whenever you try to access the memory card?

Registered Member

yes yes! its corrupted and i cant restore it what should i do? pls help!
Advisor
doremifasol

please refer to thread /discussions/board/message?board.id=communicators&message.id=53061

in summary: 

remove the memory card while your phone is on (use the remove memory card feature of your phone) and then reinsert it.

Registered Member
mepriyanshu

hi even i am facing the same problem.

Registered Member
first1234

flae63 wrote:
I have a Nokia E63. I'm unable to open the preinstalled programs on my Memory Card.It is asking Memory Card password. I managed to transfer the pictures from the card to the phone memory. But the programs wouldn't open. Is there a way to recover these programs. Backups?